How do I cut a stump flush with the lawn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stump Removal/flush cut

Hi,
The very fact you had to ask how to go about to flush cut a stump suggests to me you should engage the services of trained,insured operator, both with your saw and stumpgrinding..this type of thing presents simple enough,but to some one without training there are definitely dangers lurking in the sub soil directly under the stump to be worked on if you are unlucky, now please do not take this as a putdown as it is not my intention to do so, it's just the fact you had to ask for instruction.

dig a trench all the way around stump. then carefully clean dirt off bark.

use a bar that is barely long enough, so as to not stick into dirt on other side.

this will allow you to cut flush or slightly below ground. prepare to rock your chain. so have a spare or two.

Good idea !! Why pay for something, when you can do it yourself ?
Especially if you have many to flush cut.
Myself, I have one older saw just for this reason.
It requires more cleaning of the entire saw,
but I also had many trees to flush cut.
After a few years you may notice a ring of mushrooms
several feet from the trunk. This is known as a fairy ring.
Caused by decomposition of roots.
Also, some stumps may need to be treated to prevent water spouts.
AKA suckers.

Well, my stupid offer to remove a stump for the guy worked out okay. Went down today to do the nasty and found that he had finished cutting it free with ax and handsaw. Left it laying in the hole. Crawled down in and rolled it up the side and out. Must have gone at least 200 pounds. Later he called and asked if I was the one who got it out. Yep. He said he was surprised as he hadn't been able to lift it. Gave him the advice "never lift something you can move some other way". Guess I will put the Husky 51 on the bench tomorrow for a good clean-up - already resharped the chain but probably not very well. Will find out on my first cutting expedition and have a new loop for changeout if needed.

Harry K

Back