How do you carry your firewood tools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
camera phone 440.jpg camera phone 441.jpg camera phone 443.jpg camera phone 445.jpg I use an old portable CD player case with 2 pouches, 1 for basic tools, grease, bar nuts and such. the back pouch holds 3 chains. It folds over on itself and fits beside the chainsaw handle. My Husky hard case has extra holes cut to store wedges, a clutch removal tool, and a couple others. The black bag has pry bar, chains, wrenches, hatchet, and even a spare recoil. Anything else goes in the bed of the truck.

I only cut on my own property, so I tend to travel pretty light.
I do as well but it's still a pain in the butt to have to run back to the barn because I forgot something. It only takes a few minutes but disrupts the work flow and pisses me off.

I do intend to add a little tool box of sorts to the saw holder/mount. Something to hold files, scrench, idle screw driver, and probably will do something else for extra chains. I have kolpin gorilla XL mounts on the front rack which will also hold another saw (how I used to roll prior to building the nice one), so if I'm doing cutting I usually have two with me. If I'm just clearing trail overgrowth, I don't even bring anything but a saw, scrench, and gas up before heading out.

I normally can drive close to where I cut or am able to use my tractor to move the cut trees close to where I park. So I either have this trailer with me or I have a wood tray I can carry in my van which hold 4 saw, gas, oil, chains, & hand tools. The trailer holds a half a cord & the fuel cans on the side are for the splitter.
Wood Cutting Trailer Ready to Go.jpg
Wood cutting Trailer Tool Box.jpg
Wood cutting Trailer.jpg
I don't exactly travel light. :rolleyes:

The bucket is used more on the tractor. It sets to the left of my seat.

I don't have a picture of the wood tray but it is 24" x 41" x 7" high. It holds my Stihl S-08s with a 25" bar, one with a 17", Husqvarna 338XPT with a 14", & a Jonsered 2139T with a 12" bar. There is also room for chains, tools, fuel & oil.

On the rare occasion I have to hike, I have a tool pouch I wear on my left side which holds a scrench, spare chain, wedges, hatchet, snack, & rag.

I normally can drive close to where I cut or am able to use my tractor to move the cut trees close to where I park. So I either have this trailer with me or I have a wood tray I can carry in my van which hold 4 saw, gas, oil, chains, & hand tools. The trailer holds a half a cord & the fuel cans on the side are for the splitter.

I don't exactly travel light. :rolleyes:

The bucket is used more on the tractor. It sets to the left of my seat.

I don't have a picture of the wood tray but it is 24" x 41" x 7" high. It holds my Stihl S-08s with a 25" bar, one with a 17", Husqvarna 338XPT with a 14", & a Jonsered 2139T with a 12" bar. There is also room for chains, tools, fuel & oil.

On the rare occasion I have to hike, I have a tool pouch I wear on my left side which holds a scrench, spare chain, wedges, hatchet, snack, & rag.

That's quite a nice rig!

I too cut close to the house. I put everything I need in the front end loader bucket. But I have to admit, I'm not outfitted as I would be going out on a logging all day trip. If I need something I don't have, I walk back the the shed to get it.

I use a tool pouch / apron of a thing that drapes over a 5 gallon bucket. Came from Lowe's. It drapes around the top of the bucket and gives you abuncha pockets inside and outside the bucket. I put way too much in it, files, screwdrivers, pliers, scrench, plastic wedges, stump vice, 2 extra chains for each saw, gloves, chaps, safty glasses, ear plugs, this list could go on forever. Bucket weighs near 8 or 900 lbs. No room for gas and bar oil in it. Bucket useally stays in the bed of the truck with way too much more stuff, but I am prepaired for whatever.
8 or 900 lbs. for your tool bucket??

Probably not to concerned with the weight of your saws I reckon...:eek:

8 or 900 lbs. for your tool bucket??

Probably not to concerned with the weight of your saws I reckon...:eek:

I still can't get over this. I would have to see this bucket with that much weight in it to believe it. 5 gallon buckets are not that strong unless it is a special bucket. I don't see how you could have that much in just firewood tools unless you had several and I mean several metal wedges.

I still can't get over this. I would have to see this bucket with that much weight in it to believe it. 5 gallon buckets are not that strong unless it is a special bucket. I don't see how you could have that much in just firewood tools unless you had several and I mean several metal wedges.

Pretty sure he's joking

Most of my stuff is in milk crates which is usually in my garage. Extra chains behind seat of truck, wrenchs in door, gloves on floor, coffee in cupholder. I bring 2 saws, gas and oil, a spare chain for each and that's it for equipment unless I'm falling trees which isn't very often anymore. I run stihl saws so there's no need for a bunch of extra stuff :eek:, plus I mostly cut 8-10" and down tops after processors go through so it also alleviates splitting.

I take 2 small tool boxes the old metal type with the floppy lid and cheesy chrome latch. Filled with most everything Full set of Wiha tools, pliers, chanel locks 2-3 pair?, Full set of fine screwdrivers, #1&2 flat and phillups, 50pc 1/4 drive socket set with bits, this has its own case zip ties all sizes 6"-30" couple of each, 2 small funnels never know when you might not want to not over fill bar oil? 5 gallons ethnol free fresh mix, 1 or 2 gallons of bar oil extra air filters or any saw im running, extra bar nuts, at least 2 chains sharp for every saw/bar combo im running couple of each kind, files ( stored in mcdonalds straws, prevents damage or early wear fine cover of grease in straw) file handles 2-3? cheap plastic, file guide ( im not that good ) 18 oz peen hammer, roll of ele tape also for first aid, some first aid kit-stuff I never go cutting where im at risk of no cell service ( I live in south easter MI, wayne co.) I tend to not go very far less then 40 miles tops if I can get it out my old bosses yard even better. chaps helmet rain gear/fowl weather gear and my filson rain hat extra change of clothes complete draws, socks, shirt, pants/shorts, coat-everything spent to many days covered iin cold water/snow soaked all the way through to not have complete change of clothes. All of this stays in the truck 90% of the time unless we have people going with us, my wife son and I. I let the clothes bounce around in the back under the seat. IF its cold maybe an extra pair of boots maybe depending on conditons and what I know about the site conditions. Have mentioned I dont like being wet and cold? I can do wet or cold just not both thats a mesiarable bastard combo there. Kinda like today ran road calls all day spent 7 hours laying on the ground or in an ankle deep puddle changing an air bag on a trailer--MMMM fun gotta love them dumb ass drivers.-derail sorry. But for the most part aside form case splitting tools I can do almost anything out on the road it need be

I use a box similar to BrianK, got mine at lowes. has wheels and a handle that slides out. no dividers in it, just a top tray. works well and has held up great, it gets banged around a lot. Only complaint with it is I wish it had larger wheels for when I have to drag it in the woods with me. Still it has served me well. I keep everything in it like everyone else, PPE, Fuel, Marking paint/tape, wedges etc.

Milk crate for gas, oil, chaps, hatchet, wedges, tool bag with chains and other saw tools and ear plugs and gloves, can of marking paint, length stick. Ammo can for straps, chains, chokers, clevises, log tongs. Truck bed tool box has pickaroon, woodchuck dual, X27, woodsman hard hat and more major tools.
Most times when cutting downed trees I just take the milk crate. If pulling logs or felling the ammo can goes along. Always have the truck box nearby.

8545330111_3e4e84de6a_c.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is alot of good ideas in this thread.

I decided to go ahead and buy the Dewalt box I linked to in my first port. It's not perfect but I think it will do me just fine. I really do like the tray on top for the small stuff like files and screnches. I do wish it was a little wider and maybe a little deeper though. The mingo marker is what makes me want a bigger box, that thing takes up alot of space. One good thing is it has a lifetime warranty.

LOL...I didn't follow the link in the first post -- that's the same as the Fat Max / Bostich toolboxes Lowes sells, under a different name.

Love 'em -- got the 28" for my saw stuff as shown in the pic on the first page, and have 3 of the 20"-ish ones for small engines, plumbing, and weasel piss so far. Will probably add a couple more to the collection next time I re-organize the garage.

Latest posts

Back