How do you guys haul your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made this out of scrap 2x4s and plywood.

PB251527.jpg

The saws ride well and are up off of the deck.

PB251533.jpg

Plenty of room for all the stuff you need for a day's work.

PB241514.jpg

I tie mine down in the bead so they don't slide around.

But I cannot stop at a store or anything with them back there.

I have to put them in the back of the cab if I'm stopping somewhere.

I tie mine down in the bead so they don't slide around.

But I cannot stop at a store or anything with them back there.

I have to put them in the back of the cab if I'm stopping somewhere.

Run a chain or cable through the handle then lock it to a eye bolt through the bed floor.

I have a small chain and a caribener attached to the left rear eyebolt in the back of my Toyota Pick up. Keeps it in back corner nicely. Lock it through handle when needed, then lock camper shell.

I like to keep mine out of the weather aswell. With the box I can still pile wood all around and on top of the saws and not damage them.

Iv got my oils, fuel, tools, earplug box, gloves, tolet paper and rags.

24052011695.jpg

24052011694.jpg

Last edited:
Years ago I was in the Lake Tahoe region visiting a friend for a week, a forest fire broke out nearby and and I remember a truckload of firefighters had cut a 12"-16"dia. log that fit across the pickup bed next to the cab. In this log they had notch out slots and slid the bars in to hold the saws, something like that, many years ago so I can't remember exactly.
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestion. Southside

there was a guy on here who did the same thing he had pictures aswell. as far as my skinny tool box i really like it because my truck only has a 5 and 1/2 foot bed. If i was a contractor or something i am sure i would hate the small box but it works great for me.

Yup, to many theives around here to ride saws in the bed. I've had saws stolen, and have a few buddies who have also.

I like the setup on the toolbox. If you could have some kind of lock setup on that it would be awesome.

exactly, I've never had one stolen, but have a few family members who have, and I don't want one to get stolen because if I catch em in the act then i probably have to go to prison for murder

Just carry them to the woodlot, have 10 acres of hardwood right out my front door.

attachment.php

But the trusty old Bolens is usually there.

Scabbards on and bungees lashing them to a corner of the bed, or mingling with wood rounds in the bed.

They get a wee bit too dirty to ride in the cab of a new p/u, in dry weather.

I won't store my saws outside in my shed because I don't want to lose them. Around here, a thief would step over your wallet to grab a good firewood saw. They'd figure the wallet's probably empty, but the saw will make them money.

I usually only have to go from the basement to my carving pit, a distance of less than 200'. I find a wheelbarrow will hold all six saws, PPE, gas and bar oil, and plenty of other stuff... all in one easy trip each way.

I nest the smaller saws as shown to reduce the space they take up. When I get up to the carving site I grab two at once by the chain brakes, saves a little time.

SmallSawsOnBottom.jpg

Odd stuff gets packed into the nooks and crannies around the saws.

ExtraStuffPackedAlongsideSaws.jpg

The chaps go on next as a cushion for the bigger saws. I'll have to nest them together to make room for the 372XP when that comes along. Should be able to move 7 saws at once plus PPE, then bring them back for lockup in the shop.

I do the same nesting thing when I travel. I can fit all six saws in my locking truck box, as well as all the PPE and a small tool box. The 372 won't fit in there with them, so she'll have to ride up front with the King.

WheelbarrowFullOfCarvingStuff.jpg

Ours ride in the bottom of the big wood trailer on the way out, and on top of the wood on the way back...:laugh:

The 044/440s and smaller ride in style in the factory stihl cases, with big Marks-A-Lot numbers on the outside so we know who's inside.

The 066/660s ride in Husky "Power Boxes" that have been modified to fit them. Here's the link in case you missed it, that shows how it's done:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/142195.htm

The 880, sadly, is not not so well adorned. The king gets no fancy plastic case...he rides in a big old "DeWalt" nylon tool bag, with a hole cut in it for the bar to stick through. There are lots of pockets though, for tools, spark plugs, and wedges.

Latest posts

Back