How do you maintain your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now it seems to me it you "sand" the plastic case on your saw eventually it will wear down and lose a great amount of strength. not to mention its just a bad idea, i would at the very most run steel wool over it.

Ok I will bite lol, My husky,s need little maintenance keep sharp and loctite the screws.
My stihls seem to need more attention to air filters getting stopped up daily but both
are good.

Well I solved my problem with the sandpaper scratches by buffing it out with my dremel tool and a polishing head. Worked like a charm. I should mention that I had previously put carnuba wax car polish on the plastic. The plastic looks much better now.

I have used the Simple Green for thousands of motorcycle washes. You must dilute it at lease 50%. It is too strong for plastic and aluminum. On the major clean up I use the hot water hose and Simple Green, followed with compressed air. Then run the saw to operating temp.
ZG

I am jealous of the time yous guys have to clean your saws mine get thouroughly
cleaned once a year at best because they are constantly making my living. My saws
are very dirty lately the air filters are cleaned and they are kept sharp but scrubbing
is left to when I don't have work.

cleaned once a year at best because they are constantly making my living. My saws
are very dirty lately the air filters are cleaned and they are kept sharp but scrubbing

i know what you mean i cut roughly 100 full cord a year and usually fall all the trees too so i put a lot of hours on my saw, but because of that very reason i will give it a thorough cleaning at least every other time i use it (wait till it gets dark) ill sacrifice an hour or so a day to keep my saw nice n clean.
:chainsaw:

i know what you mean i cut roughly 100 full cord a year and usually fall all the trees too so i put a lot of hours on my saw, but because of that very reason i will give it a thorough cleaning at least every other time i use it (wait till it gets dark) ill sacrifice an hour or so a day to keep my saw nice n clean.
:chainsaw:

I cut thousands of cords and all day out of a bucket on the ground climbing and my nights are setting here on as chewing the cud lol. I will blow with compessed air check filters and
sharpen several chains sometimes at night but clean by scrubbing nah. Ok maybe I need to fool the wife into thinking they're dishes lol.

That because the rest of us are Arm Chair saw users! Sure we use them more than most but not everyday.My saw's are not touched except for the little Mac during June July and August.
But we Firewood cutter's with all the bucking do give a saw a good work out.
The little Mac is my yard saw.

Last edited:
yep id say buckin firewood all day is a pretty grueling job for a saw especially when you get into bigger stuff.

That because the rest of us are Arm Chair saw users! Sure we use them more than most but not everyday.My saw's are not touched except for the little Mac during June July and August.
But we Firewood cutter's with all the bucking do give a saw a good work out.
The little Mac is my yard saw.

Oh yes I have to do that as well burned 12 cords this year am going to have to insulate or at least underpin the trailer for that matter tie it down it has been 3 years lol:cheers:

I let my saws sleep next to me when I go to bed, but lately my wife does not like the smell of them. Now they sleep in the living room. They get cleaned in the bathtub!!!

Twinkle got dropped in the mud the other day, (people of the mudslide were at work) and the sprocket thing on the bar was a little gritty feeling. I brought Twinkle home and took her apart. Since the Safeway Club Card groove cleaner couldn't get in the sprocket, I took the bar into the bathroom, put the showerhead on Jet, and gave it a shower. Since Twinkle was then all nice and clean, I put Fairy stickers on her and some rhinestones. NOTE: The fairy stickers are not as sticky as the Barbie stickers. I do not expect them to last. :(

Twinkle got dropped in the mud the other day, (people of the mudslide were at work) and the sprocket thing on the bar was a little gritty feeling. I brought Twinkle home and took her apart. Since the Safeway Club Card groove cleaner couldn't get in the sprocket, I took the bar into the bathroom, put the showerhead on Jet, and gave it a shower. Since Twinkle was then all nice and clean, I put Fairy stickers on her and some rhinestones. NOTE: The fairy stickers are not as sticky as the Barbie stickers. I do not expect them to last. :(

LOL nice.

yep, and as long as your running a stihl tey do it well

Well Well Well I have shown several stihl users the truth of orange lately and they are sure liking my saws even if they are dirty especially the modded 372 bb with 8 pin and a 24".
It is tuned to near fection and is almost as fast as the 395 but I ain't modded it yet lol.

Well Well Well I have shown several stihl users the truth of orange lately and they are sure liking my saws even if they are dirty especially the modded 372 bb with 8 pin and a 24".
It is tuned to near fection and is almost as fast as the 395 but I ain't modded it yet lol.

hm you surprise me with your allegience to such a inferior saw. its like comparing the jedi to the sith. (obviously stihl is the jedi)

hm you surprise me with your allegience to such a inferior saw. its like comparing the jedi to the sith. (obviously stihl is the jedi)

No you are mistaken as long as the 372 is being produced they are the best saw on the market. I have ran all the flippy rubix cube stihls gadgets inc. I prefer my technology spent on things like air injection and power to weight instead of trying to improve gas caps lol.

No you are mistaken as long as the 372 is being produced they are the best saw on the market. I have ran all the flippy rubix cube stihls gadgets inc. I prefer my technology spent on things like air injection and power to weight instead of trying to improve gas caps lol.

lol hey that was a low blow ..... i like my flippy cap....

Latest posts

Back