How do you protect your equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If someone stole from me I could always ask around until I find someone who saw the perp. Once I get an ID or name or where abouts I would just go ask for it back. No problem. If there's use on the tool, well, then I have to ask for the first born.:)

jomoco said:
I lost alot of equipment here in Calif. until I realised that I had to spend some money to prevent it. In 1984 I bought a Toyota 4X4 and spent about 1300.00 installing diamond plate aluminum toolboxes and custom modifications that allowed me to carry up to eight chainsaws, climbing gear etc., all locked down in a way that would require a very determined thief to have real smarts to steal. I topped this off with a German Shepard dog tied into the back of the truck that took his job very seriously. I also had an ignition bypass switch installed as well.

I never lost any equipment on the job until after my dog died of pancreatic cancer in 1992. The 084 was stolen because it wasn't chained down as it should have been. I miss my dog Strider the most, but the 084 with it's manual oiler is also missed every time I put any of my longer bars on my 088.

It all boils down to spending money to secure the tools you use to make a living, and never getting lazy about locking them down when you're not around. And even that is no guarantee that you won't get ripped off.

But like life itself, thinking ahead and doing your best to pre-empt problems
before they happen, provides the best odds of making it in the world, and possibly becoming an old climber like me. Hopefully much better and wiser than I.

I still miss my dog Strider to this very day. Many people tried to rip me off, only to beat a bloodied and hasty retreat after encountering the sharp teeth of justice that he provided me at a truly nominal cost.

jomoco

sounds nice, except here in Vancouver ANYTHING that is aluminum gets destroyed and ripped off (to sell for scrap for $$ for drugs) by our "binners" that plague this city, thanks to a city council that promotes the "coddle the drug user" and lets them use drugs and provides a plce to use them.

I've had 3 aluminum tool boxs ripped off, torn off violently or cut out from my truck.

I bring in all my equipment everyday, inside my apartment. PITA, but i cant afford to replace it.

Every time I run to town my pickup bed gets lighter. Its unreal the crap people will steel. I have noticed that in New Mexico in the last month or so, there has been at least 5 thieves shot by citizens and most of them shot dead, the property owners are usually never charged with anything. I LOVE THIS STATE.....:cheers:

I like the old story about putting a sign on the side of your truck stating that survivors will be prosecuted.

Twice a year mow the entire yard in your underwear with a 357 on your side. Make sure you wave at all the passers by like mad. After that story gets around town no one will mess with "the crazy guy"

I've always wanted to try that :hmm3grin2orange:

I had my neighbor wonderin' about me when he moved in. I used to mow in a speedo and shoot blackbirds off it with my contender .410. Nowdays if I mow like that noone could steal anything 'cause they'd be too busy pukin'.

Mike

I like to keep my tools locked up in my truck, in my garage when not in use, and locked up when on the job site. Most people around here are scared $#!tless of my Pit Bull/Black Mouth Cur mix, so he helps to keeps things where they belong too. On the Jobsite he likes to sleep in the truck, but will let me know someone is where they don't belong before tearing them to bits! I've never had any problems yet, and hope not to, but one never knows.

Back in October I had a brand new 440 and MS200T Stihl fall victim to a theif.Both saws were bought about three months earlier.Here is the thing,my wife is a sheriff's deputy and was home when it happened.These saws were shut inside of a tool box on the side of one of my chippers.In order to get to where the chipper was,they had to walk right past her marked patrol car.Whoever did this had some balls.This makes the second time I have been hit,the first time,I had an 066 stolen that was locked up inside my truck...So now when I come in during the evening,I bring everything inside and keep it locked up inside our bonus room in our house.It would at least make things a little more difficult,and once they were in the house then they would have our 110 pound german shephard who does not like strangers to deal with.

Back