How do you sharpen your x27?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious to see how the more experienced guys do it. This is the first axe I've ever owned and first time sharpening something other than with a bench grinder. I bought a cheap stone from the hardware store and use a honing oil. I've split about 4 cord with it so far and sharpen after every cord or so. It seems to hold up pretty well at first but towards the end of my pile I can really notice a difference in splitting.

as you say it hlds up quite well and seems to do a cord or cord and a half before marking for me. Yesterday i hit something invisible embedded in some ash and sent sparks flying....that folded the edge. one minute with an old file and it was sharp again, too sharp, I sliced my finger on it! the steel isn't hard enough to need a grinder, how it stays sharp i'm baffled.

I split (some people may cringe or may not want read any further) on the ground most of the time so the edges on all my splitting axes take a bit of a beating from time to time , occasionally I'll take a grinder with a flap wheel or a flat file to the edge and knock off any large burrs only , I never bother to get them sharp because I use them for splitting not for cutting .
I have plenty of sharp axes for cutting , I don't use them for splitting .

I too split on the ground. I don't think it's necessary to have an edge on a splitting tool that could be used to shave whiskers just a decent edge and no blunt angle changes.

Speaking of chopping tools, the Fiskars chopping axe is second to none!

I got a Work Sharp knife & tool sharpener for Fathers' Day. It really works nice on anything Fiskars, especially if you go down to a leather stropping belt. Before that...I've used everything from a raker file to a round stone.

If & When I have to split on the ground, like when I can't lift the round, I use my generic hardware store maul. I keep the Fiskars out of the dirt, so I can dress it with the Fiskars sharpening tool. And, I do that on a rainy day when I don't want to work outside.

P1050199.JPG

For the guys using bench grinders/peanut grinders...do you use any kind of oil or water to keep the blade cool? I've read that you should never use a grinder to sharpen an axe, especially with a soft metal like the x27, because the heat will ruin it...just wondering if there's any truth to that.

For the guys using bench grinders/peanut grinders...do you use any kind of oil or water to keep the blade cool? I've read that you should never use a grinder to sharpen an axe, especially with a soft metal like the x27, because the heat will ruin it...just wondering if there's any truth to that.

I sharpen and polish knives, sharpen chains, axes, gun smithing, etc, with files, bench grinders, fine stones, even polishing pastes.... It's all about tiny removal of metals. If you feel the need to push hard, or use something aggressive, then you are using the wrong machine on the edge of the moment. Because Fiskars are unique, a file used lightly, is as much as you will ever need (and use properly rarely) before finishing the edge with a stone.

I did my X27 yesterday with my chainsaw grinder. Just turn the chain vice all the way to one side and use the side of the grinding wheel. It cut paper when finished. Not that it splits any better being that sharp, I did not notice any difference sinking it into a round of hardwood FWIW.

Back