how do you transport your wood out of the forest?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks a lot like my farmer built wagon on a Model T (I think) front axle.

6-17-09_028.jpg

after rescued from brush pile...

3-22-07_003.jpg

3-27-07_051.jpg

3-31-07_005.jpg

Last edited:
fill up a plastic sled with wood, hook up the sled to a body harness,put the harness around my shoulders and away I go.
If the ground is dry, wheel barrow or deer cart works good too.

Thanks Jakers. I've been watching pto driven log splitters on CL, how do you like yours?

The 424 mainly moves trailers around now. Once or twice a year it pulls the batwing to blow out the cobwebs.

5-30-2008_022.jpg

before I resto'd...

Bestof2004118.jpg

after. My grandpa bought this 424 new in '67 (year I was born) when he bought the farm. Wagon came w/ farm.

4-01-07_008.jpg

Last edited:
...he is more than fast enough when pulling logs you have to keep up :smile2:

attachment.php

The arch is very light the wheels are removed in the winter.

Why don't you build a seat on that?
It pretty much already looks like a sulky.
Then keeping up would be a lot easier.

-Eric

dynobob...
i like my wood splitter alot. its home made tho. it originally had a 2cyl wisconsin on it but that crapped out so that led to me converting it to run on a pto pump. My farmall W-6 **** a bearing in the rearend so i modified the pump system to stay on the splitter and run with a shaft so its universal now. main reason i did that was the 540 pto shaft on my 706 is tweaked a bit, fine with a shaft but the pump flopped like crazy when direct mounted. my 706 is a 67 year too btw. the splitter is made from an old bridge c-channel cut in half and made into an I beam. its around 15 feet long. originaly had a hyd cyl from a TD-20 dozer that was 6X48 but the chrome was shot long b4 it was made into a splitter and when the old wisc. motor crapped it left the ram half out and rusted up. i put a 5x36 on it now. with the 21gpm pump its plenty fast. pressured to 2500psi ive never stalled it on ANYTHING... yes i cut a railroad tie in half with it. the 68hp tractor barely even grunts and is extremely fuel efficient on there. id personally never want to have only a small northern tool splitter. altho it would be nice to have for the long straight grain wood that splits nice and for taking to the woods to split on site. ill eventually get some pics of my setup on here

It pulls it in 3 or 4 low mowing the yard (not tall grass). 36hp is at the low end of what the mower wants.

With a 706 I'd say your splitter had better be strong. Does the 706 have a 1000 pto? You could run at 1/2 rpm. What kinda worries me about tractor splitter is using $50/day in fuel to split.

Last edited:
I use a 1950 8N and an old farmer built trailer.;) Small enough to get around the woods pretty good. The gearing & traction of a tractor handles pulling a load much easier than a ATV or garden tractor for me. Especially when the ground is soft.

4200Ash021.jpg

Oak016.jpg

100_0477-1.jpg

Oak019.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

WOW! Gregg what is that Blue saw you have ?

I use him :rock: he is a light cold-blooded horse (15 y.o.) born to be a harness trotter but wasn't fast enough,
he is more than fast enough when pulling logs you have to keep up :smile2:

attachment.php

Not so big logs over here:

attachment.php

The arch is very light the wheels are removed in the winter.

AWESOME pics BTW. Almost looks like a Percheron cross with that backside & tail...very nice looking horse! We have a Percheron/TB cross that looks and moves like a....Percheron but thinks she's a TB! We also have a Belgium that needs a job. These pics might inspire us to work him into the CAD hobby..:) For several years we took horses from the tracks and built them into other things..converted something like 25 or 26. Girls went off to college so we don't anymore.

That looks a lot like my farmer built wagon on a Model T (I think) front axle.

6-17-09_028.jpg

after rescued from brush pile...

Your right! They do look a lot alike. Mine has has no springs. Was thinking of painting and put new wood on mine, but figured it would just get beat up anyway. :biggrin: My still do it though, after seeing yours.

Gregg,

It pulls it in 3 or 4 low mowing the yard (not tall grass). 36hp is at the low end of what the mower wants.

With a 706 I'd say your splitter had better be strong. Does the 706 have a 1000 pto? You could run at 1/2 rpm. What kinda worries me about tractor splitter is using $50/day in fuel to split.

i only burn maybe 2 gal a day with the 706. my old gas W-6 took alot more. with the 21gpm pump i only run half throttle already and its plenty. i do have dual pto so i could hook it up to the 1000 but then id have to run the tractor so slow to not over speed the pump that it would load up. the old IDI motors dont run the greatest at an idle all day long.

LOL, That blue saw is a Poulan 4000 that was is in pretty rough shape when I got it. Just decided to paint it Ford tractor blue.:hmm3grin2orange:

3700Poulan021.jpg

Gregg,

It looks so good I might paint my Stihl 066 FFF F F O R D Tractor Blue , As you can see i have trouble saying that F word ....lol

l3lue :hmm3grin2orange:

AWESOME pics BTW. Almost looks like a Percheron cross with that backside & tail...very nice looking horse! We have a Percheron/TB cross that looks and moves like a....Percheron but thinks she's a TB! We also have a Belgium that needs a job. These pics might inspire us to work him into the CAD hobby..:) For several years we took horses from the tracks and built them into other things..converted something like 25 or 26. Girls went off to college so we don't anymore.

Thank you Sir! Percherons are nice horses, we have some in the area but they are not common here. Have never seen a Belgium in Norway but understand they are good pullers. Perfect for the woods :smile2:

My horse is only 148 cm 400 kg (880 lbs) so he is small even for a norwegian cold blood. He likes working in the woods and its nice exercise for both of us.
I can recommend it, its much nicer than using a tractor or truck. And we leave almost no traces.

Why don't you build a seat on that?
It pretty much already looks like a sulky.
Then keeping up would be a lot easier.

-Eric

We don't drive that far so to get on and off would take too much time. The terrain is sometimes very steep so you would not want to ride the arch. If we drive fare it's possible to put a strap around the logs and ride on them. But i don't mind walking.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back