How good was the 262XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachsmo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone have the spec on that saw? Weight H.P. numbers would be appreciated.

Is the long awaited replacement going to stack up?

I would have to say that if I could own only one saw, I would have a 262 as that saw. Power is 4.8HP. Actual weight is 13lbs. There is not a lot of improvement to be had inside the engine, but a MM does help. MM, they will pull a 24" bar in oak pretty well.

The 262xp I owned seemed to lack grunt, it had great power with a 18" bar. But I ran it side by side with a 036, and a 359 with 20" and 24" bars and the 262 just couldn't pull it with the same authority. And for a Husky it does has one of their worst filter setups.

The 262xp I owned seemed to lack grunt, it had great power with a 18" bar. But I ran it side by side with a 036, and a 359 with 20" and 24" bars and the 262 just couldn't pull it with the same authority. And for a Husky it does has one of their worst filter setups.

What's bad about the air filter set up? It the same as my low top 394. I think the 262xp was the first husqvarna with air injection. The early 262's seemed to have a little more zip.

262 is a classic as well as a 272 or a 254.Was very reliable,strong for his size.The air filter system was very good,same as 254 unless you use a flocked filter that was dirty in a short time.

What's bad about the air filter set up? It the same as my low top 394. I think the 262xp was the first husqvarna with air injection. The early 262's seemed to have a little more zip.

The early ones were rated at 3.5kW, the late ones were down to 3.4kW. I have no idea when the change took place.

It surely was the first Husky with "air injection" (mid 1989), and maybe the first saw of them all with the fully developed version, with the "duct".

Last edited:
My personal goto saw weight to hp awesome. Mine are all 261's newer (6 of them)with 262 pistons cleaned up with MM. Love that series. I too have heard the older 262 had more power than the later models.

Shep

Not sure of the gain with a MM, there just wasn't much muffler there to start with. Properly tuned with a sharp chain, it's a pretty cool saw. I once got to run one improperly tuned (tuned it), and with a sharp chain (after I sharpened it) and my impressions changed dramatically. I've run a few of them and have always enjoyed running them. I'd use mine a whole lot more if that 350 wasn't such an animal.

They have a very distinctive sound, kind of addicting.

Yep!

Fussy ignition on some, but Stihl and Husky have yet to equal or surpass it. Stihl has brought out two generations trying to beat the thing, but have failed miserably...but then Huskys own effort fell short.LOL!!

Freaky peaky power, and not a grunt saw at all, but once you get used to cutting by ear the things are crazy fun, which is also it's detractors main beef. It's more like playing a musical instrument than operating an impliment. They ain't for everybody, especially the heavy handed guys that prefer to "Lean" on a saw.

I'm hoping the new 562 picks up the ball on the yardline where the 262 set it down.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I run a 261 at work sometimes. It's a good cutting saw but it feels a little heavy compared to my Stihl 361. They seem to cut about the same, but the 361 seems to have a little more torque. All of that is just nitpicking though really.
It's a dang good saw.

I've heard they are awesome. So good I got one, and I've never tried it! LOL Still sitting there in like new condition, I think its an older model. Does sound awesome though.

Yep!

Fussy ignition on some, but Stihl and Husky have yet to equal or surpass it. Stihl has brought out two generations trying to beat the thing, but have failed miserably...but then Huskys own effort fell short.LOL!!

Freaky peaky power, and not a grunt saw at all, but once you get used to cutting by ear the things are crazy fun, which is also it's detractors main beef. It's more like playing a musical instrument than operating an impliment. They ain't for everybody, especially the heavy handed guys that prefer to "Lean" on a saw.

I'm hoping the new 562 picks up the ball on the yardline where the 262 set it down.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
One thing I like about ''Husky's own effort'', the 357xp, is I can really lean on it, but it revs almost like a 346xp. With a good MM and tune, it's a hell of a saw! :pumpkin2:

From what I've seen, they run about the same as a MS361, MS362, or 357XP.

I wonder how much better the 262 is over the 261?

I know the 362 Stihl is faster than a 261. The 261 runs about like a 361 stihl to me. So I agree with Brad, there nothing any more special than anything else offered in 60cc right now IMO. But they are just as good. Feel heavier to me though. If the 262 is a night and day difference in power over the 261, then it would probably be faster than the others.

Last edited:
I wonder how much better the 262 is over the 261?

I know the 362 Stihl is faster than a 261. The 261 runs about like a 361 stihl to me. So I agree with Brad, there nothing any more special than anything else offered in 60cc right now IMO. But they are just as good. Feel heavier to me though. If the 262 is a night and day difference in power over the 261, then it would probably be faster than the others.

Isn't the 261 50cc? And the 262 60cc? The 262 feels most excellent in the hands to me with a 20" bar, seems to have great handling, although, I've not cut with it yet.

While we're we're going slightly off topic.................how far off from a 262XP is a 257XP? I may be able to end up with a whipped 257XP. I mostly want it for the bar (can run it on my Homelite Super E-Z) but may look into getting it going again if it doesn't need too much in the way of parts.

May rebuild it with a 262 P/C, carb, and clutch if I can get the thing for cheap. I ran a 262XP about 15 years ago. Did indeed have a strong mid and up powerband. Light too. Kinda finicky though. I've never ran a 257XP...

Stihl 260 ,261, 50cc approx.
Husky 261, 262, 62 cc approx.
261 without a brand name could lead to confusion.

Right, thought he was talking about the new Stihl 261.

While we're we're going slightly off topic.................how far off from a 262XP is a 257XP? I may be able to end up with a whipped 257XP. I mostly want it for the bar (can run it on my Homelite Super E-Z) but may look into getting it going again if it doesn't need too much in the way of parts.

May rebuild it with a 262 P/C, carb, and clutch if I can get the thing for cheap. I ran a 262XP about 15 years ago. Did indeed have a strong mid and up powerband. Light too. Kinda finicky though. I've never ran a 257XP...

Pretty close saws, the P&C, muffler, clutch and Carb, that I know of.

Back