How is "STIHL" pronounced in your area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacific

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
There has been some STIHL commercials been on the T.V. lately and this got me to post here on how the name is pronounced.

Okay in this area (West Coast B.C.) STIHL is pronouced St-Ill (Still) and on the T.V. they are pronouncing STIHL as Ste-ell (Steel).

What is that a East Coast thing any West Coast person that I talk to that works with Chainsaws and all the dealers pronounce it the same way I do.

Just wondering :blob6:

It's supposed to be "steel", although you should say "schteel" if you're a Kraut.

I believe the native way of saying it would be something like <i>shteel</i>.&nbsp; Around here (central Indiana) I hear <i>steel</i> (mostly), <i>still</i> (sometimes), and <i>skill</i> (occasionally).&nbsp; Because I'm one to go along and not make waves (hahaha), I'll use either one of the first two depending on the company I'm keeping.

My last name is also a five letter kraut word that starts with an s and only has one vowel, but it's a lot easier to mangle than Stihl.

Glen

The german "I" is always pronounced short as in "still" unless followed by or preceded by an "E". ( "stiel" would be pronounced "steel", "steil" would be pronounced "style".
Since Stihl is a name and Europe is a small place, it could have picked up some oddball international inflection. Or maybe there is some rule about the combination "IH" that I don't remember.
I only had one semester of German, and so didn't get much past this part. I still say Stihl "still".

Sti eel , With the "i" (soft) sliding toward a hard "e". all one sylable. Actually that is just the way I pronounce it .I think the majority just say "steel".

Last edited:
A few years back Stihl borrowed the popular song, "Still the One" in their TV commercials, more or less enterchanging "Stihl" for "Still".

"Stihl the One" was also used in promotional signs, pamphlets and such for in store use.

Was that an ad department snafu or not, I don't know.

Don't mean to change the purpose(pronounciation)of this thread,but I say the word "Stihl" with respect.

In my opinion they make some good saws for both the homeowner and pro,no matter how you say it.

Rick

stihl

On all the Stihl timbersports shows I've seen, the announcers all say "steel"

around here we say STILL, cause i'm "still" waiting for the way over-inflated price they want for them to drop. i can "still" buy enough servicable vintage mccullochs or homeylites to run the rest of my life for less than half what they want for 1 large "STEAL". that said, yes i do own several. my modded 066 is probly the best overall saw power to weight wise that i have ever owned, and when i have any serious cutting i will always grab it and my super ez for limbing, but 900 bucks for that thing? come on! its a STEAL.......................................NOT!

In Wis. the pronounce it "yunk".
Of course, they use Orange Poulans up there, and know "yunk"
when they step in it.

Originally posted by John in MA
It's supposed to be "steel", although you should say "schteel" if you're a Kraut.

Or if you are Sean Connery :D

Some people around here call them "Steel", others call them "Still". When three of my backpack blowers got lifted, I called them "Stohlen". :eek:

Mostly "Still" around my neck of the woods. I do have one friend who says "Steel". Don't know where he got it from b/c he's the only one, even the dealers call them "Stills".

Most people around here pronounce it "steel". There are a few people who do say "still". I believe that the correct pronunciation is "shteel" if one was in Germany. But since we won we can pronounce it anyway we want here. :)

Up in the great interior of Alaska most people call them "steel", although "anchor" does have a ring to it.;)

Matt

I believe in the original German it would be pronoucned: schtihl which rhymes with "still" but with a hard "sch" sound on the front part.

In the USA it's pronounced any way we want, and "steel" sounds more macho and should appeal to us lumberjack types -- sorta like Husky does. That's why Homelite and McCullough went to hell because they had wimpy names....

But since my 024 seized up, I'm calling mine "schtuck".

Back