How long should a chain last cutting firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Morbark 27" whole tree chipper can do 19 loads on one set of knives but sometimes you change knives four times fir one load.

Hi All!

Apologies for the late reply. Here are some photos. What I'm gathering from all your informative responses is that I've likely over done it with the sharpening as well as just plainly cut a lot of wood.

In my opinion there is still plenty life left in the chain shown. They can be filed down to the witness marks and still be usable. After that then the cutters become unstable as they may break off easily. I filed some my personal chains down to nubs and still get fairly good cutting when I don't have spare chain with me but I replaced the chain before the next field trip.

The important things is using the correct file and filing at the correct angle for the type cutting your doing which is most like mostly cross cutting. If you do a lot ripping then have a rip chain for that purpose on hand.

When filing you want to remove shiny rounded edge to a clean cutting edge. Any round over will prevent good cutting.

That chain has been spooned over ,hit a rock maybe ? or the ground ? You need to remove the damage for it to cut like new again .
Do you have a top pic to comfirm what i see ?

Awe shucks....square 1 beat me to the punch. That worn chain still has 75% life left in it IMHO! All but one of my chains for my MS26o are worn much farther than that and they are wood chomping monsters after a fresh sharpening. I can cut several pick-up truck loads before a chain needs to be put back on the "dull nail" on the wall of my shop. Just gotta be sure not to touch dirt, rocks, or fence wire. I put a fresh chain on the other day, walked over to a log, started cutting, and found the rock nicely hidden under a big oak leaf on the ground next to the log. Nuther chain on the "dull nail".

I'd need to see the top plates of the cutters but it looks like they might be tilted down a little or rounded top plate edge from cutting. That needs to be filed off with proper rakers set to .025 +/- .005 depending on wood. My guess is you took a couple strokes off but not enough.

Keep in mind a file is meant to be used in a single forward stroke, NOT back and fourth. If you run a file back and fourth it ruins the cutting edge and you won't be filing away metal any longer.

2cents from a hack that doesn't know much.

Lots of life left in the used chain!

As others mentioned, clean the gullet out and the teeths top plate look worn and might need filed back more.
Also make sure You are useing the correct file diameter for the chain.

More detailed pictures might help further.

Alright here are more photos. It has not hit any rocks whatsoever. Just been cutting through a tandem load of mixed hardwood and sharpening every couple gas tanks with the Stihl 2 in 1 file.

This file:

More photos:

I agree! That square corner on the tooth MUST BE sharp or the tooth won't take a bite properly. It may "feel" sharp, but if that corner is rounded any at all the tooth won't be able to grab the wood and make chips. I had this problem too until I got myself a magnifying glass. Once I was able to see the rounded corner on the tooth, I was able to adjust my grinder and properly grind my chains. For the first time ever, my chains cut better than a new chain!

It also appears that the rakers on the right hand cutters are much lower than the rakers on the left hand cutters.

Are you filing all the cutters from the same side of the bar, or are you filing the left hand cutters from the right side and the right side cutters from the left side?

It also appears that the rakers on the right hand cutters are much lower than the rakers on the left hand cutters.

Are you filing all the cutters from the same side of the bar, or are you filing the left hand cutters from the right side and the right side cutters from the left side?
That file system he is using should take care of them equally. If tooth length on one side is shorter than the other, than that will make the rakers shorter using that tool.

From the left and right sides.

Back