How many people do you know that can not spell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...There's certainly quite a few here that need to work on their spelling and punctuation ...LOL
A little trivia, did you know the the "H" in Husqvarna is silent? It's pronounced Oosk-varna, I learned this when I restored several Husqvarna dirt bikes a few years ago.

No! :buttkick:

It's definitely silent. The word begins with more of a grunt sound than a sounded letter.

Say "husk". That word begins with the first letter originating slightly below the jawbone.

Now..."usk". This words starts deeper in the throat, nearly the top of the chest.

The old timers at Husky, way back when I rode a factory bike, took it a step further.

They combined the top of the chest sound..."usk"... with a pursing of the lips to produce more of a "eewusk".

Three syllables. The a was always harder than softer.

It's always possible that the name has evolved its own entity, and regional pronunciations are common. The eew sound you were describing could be a shortening or slurring of the h sound. Or it could have been edged off like a cockney saying 'ousehold instead of household. All I was saying is that in Swedish the word Hus(house) has an audible H sound.

The plural is "Volvos".;)

I thought it was Vulvae. :clap:

I think you will find the plural of Volvo is "Boring old persons cars"
lol
I know 1 person under 50 that owns one!

Is this him? (diesel Swedebrick in the right lane)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLy1BGQ3py0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLy1BGQ3py0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What about "would of" for "would've", or "all of a sudden"? It's like the innerweb in inhabited by third graders. Third graders who don't know squat about two stroke oil...:)

A-friggin'-MEN on the then/than dealio.

People who concentrate on grammar are anal retentive aholes! :)

For what it's worth, the question mark should be within the closing parenthesis. Also, your last "sentence" is a fragment, having no verb. :)

you sure about that, space?

When did "Prolly" become a word? As in, "I will Prolly see you tomorrow."

It is probably !

Also, I'm not sure anyone would want to "AXE" a question would they?

It is ASK !

Last edited:
It's always possible that the name has evolved its own entity, and regional pronunciations are common.

Perhaps...but it would have evolved after these ol' boys...I'm guessin' these men knew how to pronounce the name...

No one was slurring the "h" sound....there is no "h" sound in Husqvarna...

I work with Setrab quite a bit....and to a man, even the young guys, pronounce Husqvarna pretty much the way I've described it here...

They always cock their heads a little when the guys in the shop pronounce it wrong...like it's a bit of an insult.

Also, I'm not sure anyone would want to "AXE" a question would they?

Well...if perhaps they believed the question was beneath them...or not pertinent to topic...they may care to axe it.

I found no reference to a silent H in husqvarna in any reference I could find. I did find this bit:

http://www.billcasselman.com/unpub_two/husqvarna.htm

If it is a combination of two words, and the first being Hus (house), it is not pronounced like "moose". It is more like "juice" and the H is not silent.

My favorite is when people add an a between the q and the v.

I learned about the "H" being silent in the book Cycle World magazine put out in 1987, "Cycle World on Husqvarna" I don't have the book any longer but if you happen to see a copy of it for sale somewhere check it out...

Matt...I see you've got a Special 50....man I love this saw.

Got mine in the early nineties...still my go to saw in a stable of very many.

If you're ever lookin' to unload it...look me up...

Matt...I see you've got a Special 50....man I love this saw.

Got mine in the early nineties...still my go to saw in a stable of very many.

If you're ever lookin' to unload it...look me up...

They are great saws, reliable as a hammer, I now have 2, just got the second one finished up tonight. New piston, crank seals, fuel line and carb kit, runs like a top! I'm 'gonna go try it out in the morning. I'm not looking to sell either of them but if I do I'll let you know.

It's always possible that the name has evolved its own entity, and regional pronunciations are common. The eew sound you were describing could be a shortening or slurring of the h sound. Or it could have been edged off like a cockney saying 'ousehold instead of household. All I was saying is that in Swedish the word Hus(house) has an audible H sound.

That is correct, the "h" is audible and should be pronounced.

Some hundred years ago though, we used a silent "h" in all possible , and some impossible, words. Most often it was used in conjunction with the letter "w", as in f.e. "hwit", which is the Swedish word for the colour "white". Today the same word is simply spelled "vit", but the pronunciation is the same.

All those silent letters made Swedish pretty much unreadable - even for Swedes, but on the other hand, what document from a few hundred years ago in any language is easily readable today?

However, I guess that this old usage of a silent "h" is what caused the misunderstanding that the "h" in the word Husqvarna should be silent, since that name is in old spelling, but the thing is that "h" can never be silent in front of a vowel, not now and not before.

Last edited:
:sucks: I think it's safe to say, if you came here to learn or teach grammar, you need to goggle another web site, also this thread needs to be moved.

The only reason that I learned to spell them correctly was so I could get accurate search results on fleabay and craigslist. Of course you get some good hits when you purposely spell it wrong too.

Back