How much of a difference?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am currently cutting downed trees and stumps down here in the New Orleans area. I am using a 460M with a 32" bar. I am thinking of buying a 660 with a 36"bar for some of the larger trees. I really don't want to put a 36 on the 460. In you ropinion will there be a significant difference in the power of the 660 36" over the 440 32" ? My other saws include a 260P ,360P, and a 200T. Thanks

Get the 660 AND order a dual port muffler front. 30 seconds to change the muffler front,a quick carb retune and you just gained 10% HP (and noise)!

You love it, but keep your smaller saws...

460TED,,sorry can't really say. I know its a chisel chain,, not the safety chain,,but it isn't the fastest chain either. I find it cuts fast but I really want a longer bar for the larger trees.

I run full skip on my 32" 460. If you don't have that now, give it a try, it'll make for less tendency for the saw to bog.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Get the 660 and don't look back. Get the muffler cover like Lakeside said. That should be standard.

Jeff

jeff: so, as I said a few days ago, just what are you going to do with that 460 now?:D

Lakeside53 said:
jeff: so, as I said a few days ago, just what are you going to do with that 460 now?:D

I see a gap in your line-up between your 361 and you 066...are you interested? Because I'll be using it for the same thing you would. When the 044 or 440 ain't enough, and the 660 is more than I need. My 361 and 044 have 24"s, my 440 has a 28", my 460 has a 32", and my 660 has a 36". I may never have to swap a bar again! :laugh:

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
I see a gap in your line-up between your 361 and you 066...are you interested? Because I'll be using it for the same thing you would. When the 044 or 440 ain't enough, and the 660 is more than I need. My 361 and 044 have 24"s, my 440 has a 28", my 460 has a 32", and my 660 has a 36". I may never have to swap a bar again! :laugh:

Jeff

Now you understand .. sure I'll take it for my standard trade in of 20% of dealer cost.:laugh:

You'll need my 088 to get your 660 out of the big fir when you pinch it;)

Hey, my David Brady and homelight fit somewhere...

Resurrecting an old thread

Get the 660 AND order a dual port muffler front. 30 seconds to change the muffler front,a quick carb retune and you just gained 10% HP (and noise)!

You love it, but keep your smaller saws...

Will that carb retune likely require removing the limiter caps on a new 660?

Jeff

:D You will have to, when they are worn out.....:popcorn: :givebeer: :rockn:

Andy - Is the "10% increase in HP" something that is true among all the saws that will take a DP cover? I mean, do the 440 and 460 also pick up that much, percentage-wise?

Greg

Will that carb retune likely require removing the limiter caps on a new 660?

Yes... It's already limited as rich as it can go, so the caps need to come off to readjust the H screw. Slice the locking tab on the side, and pop them back on.

Andy - Is the "10% increase in HP" something that is true among all the saws that will take a DP cover? I mean, do the 440 and 460 also pick up that much, percentage-wise?

Greg

Don't know... The 066 is easy - the 660 with a Dual port cut almost exactly the same as an older 066 with a dual port.. and the stock difference is 10% HP, so that's where my number came from.

My guess though - yes... easily... but you may have to slightly enlarge the front slot on the 046 DP front.

Yes... It's already limited as rich as it can go, so the caps need to come off to readjust the H screw. Slice the locking tab on the side, and pop them back on.

So the best way to increase engine life requires voiding the warranty. :bang: Actually, I kinda figured that, as the manuals on the current saws have you opening H all the way.

I read this the other day...

http://web.archive.org/web/20051220051246/www.madsens1.com/epa.htm said:
Can pro users just remove the plastic limiter caps and run it that way? The answer is, no.The carburetor will not stay adjusted without the caps in place. Adjustment needles on today's carburetors no longer have springs to hold them in place. Before you get the idea to remove the caps and run it this way, beware.

Is there any truth to that? Removing the limiter caps seems to be standard advice, but then everybody seems to point to Madsen's as a good source.

Back