How much weight can it hold?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarfarms

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have the same truck, only its 99 with 8 ft box. it'll handle 1/2 ton easy, 3/4 no problem, 1 ton is a bit to much ...
i don't think 1/2 cord will weigh more than that.
i'd throw a load on and try it.

What are your tags rated for? You might want to increase your vehicle registration weight allowance.

A full cord of fresh cut oak, for example is #3800,
so a half cord is #1900,

Check the wood weight tables in the information stickys at the top of the page and see what a 1/2 cord, full cord of maple can weigh, it will give you something to work with.

The U.S Department of Agriculture list green Sugar Maple at 56#/cubic ft.
56# (128) = 7168LBS /2 = 3584LBS for a half cord. Not bad for a trailer but a lot for the back of a 1/2 ton truck.
You will know when you have enough, the steering gets a little light.:)

kfhines

Hello,
I have just recently added side rail extensions to my truck (2000 F-150, 4.2L, 6 1/2' box, 5 speed, 4x4) to increase my firewood carrying capacities. I can now easily fit a half cord of maple thrown in the back. My question is should I? Does anyone know what a truck like this can safely carry in terms of weight? I am unable to decipher the weight limitations on the inside of the drivers door. Any help would be great. Thanks.

This is from a 1999 Ford truck brochure. For a F150, regular cab, 4x4, 4.2L, 6 1/2' box, P235/70-16 tires (doesn't say for auto or 5 spd. tranny), the payload is 1700 lbs. and a GVWR of 6000 lbs. They call it payload package #1...not sure what that's about. I know your truck is a 2000. This should give you an idea.

Kevin

I have an 03 F150 w/ 6' box and if i stack even w/ the bed she wants to do a wheelie. If your using the racks I would definately look into beefing up that suspension. A rick is the max I would attempt w/ 1/2 ton stock.

I have yet to see any lists that claim ANY green wood to weigh 7000 pounds. Green (wet) white oak is the heaviest at ~5500 pounds.

Here is one of many examples (scroll to page 2):
http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1554/build/g1554.pdf

I got to looking up Oak cord weights (green and dry) and found this.

(Go to the post to click on the PDF file; I couldn't get it to load to do an attachment)

Here's a .pdf

If I understand the chart correctly, green White Oak at 63 lbs./cu.ft. x 128 cu.ft. (1 cord) = 8064 lbs., I think I did that right.

Kevin

I have seen an F-150 with 3,000lbs of Garnet (dirt) in the back and boy it didn't like that. it swayed and the bumper was pretty close to the ground.

on the other hand i've seen an F-150 with 2k-2.5k of steel in the back and the trailer hitch was 3 inches from the ground.

As for wood weight

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1554/build/g1554.pdf

Whoops didn't notice everyone posted the same link for wood weights that i have.:rolleyes:

I got to looking up Oak cord weights (green and dry) and found this.

(Go to the post to click on the PDF file; I couldn't get it to load to do an attachment)

If I understand the chart correctly, green White Oak at 63 lbs./cu.ft. x 128 cu.ft. (1 cord) = 8064 lbs., I think I did that right.

Kevin

Kevin - I couldn't get to the .pdf you were showing, but I think the major difference is in the measurement method. A 4x4x8 cord of stacked firewood takes up 128 cu. ft of area. There is NOT 128 cu ft. of wood. You would have to eliminate EVERY air space, crack and knot hole. Essentially creating a "block" of wood. This is just my suspicion, and leave it to a gubment provided document to use virtually useless info.

Last edited:
1500-2000 lbs....Max and you gotta load the front of the bed
with the heavy ones first.....I think it takes some of the load of the
rear wheels. IMHO

I have loaded a lot of 1/2 ton trucks and vans.....anything more than
about 2000lbs and your just asking for trouble......the way I look at it with that amount of weight in an 1/2 its not if you going to have a problem....its when.....
I have a few tails from work....lol......

loaded a lot of trucks and vans with carpet and wood and tile.....
the way I look it at weight is weight.....
plus I've hauled a few loads of wood in my 1/2 ton truck too
:cheers:

Kevin - I couldn't get to the .pdf you were showing, but I think the major difference is in the measurement method. A 4x4x8 cord of stacked firewood takes up 128 cu. ft of area. There is NOT 128 cu ft. of wood. You would have to eliminate EVERY air space, crack and knot hole. Essentially creating a "block" of wood. This is just my suspicion, and leave it to a gubment provided document to use virtually useless info.

That's probably the case.

Here's the thread where I got the chart. Post #16.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1563477#post1563477

Kevin

I don't doubt the info, and if you took a good solid trunk and cut a perfect 1ftx1ftx1ft block out of it, they would probably be right on the money. But for us cord wood - firewood burners, I think its a little different game. Lots of air space in that thar stack.:cheers:

:agree2:

For myself, when figurin' for haulin' purposes, I use the 5500 lb./cord. Covers the wood I get from around here when green.

Kevin

I'll agree with the load the front of the box high and heavy, slope the load down as you get to the tailgate. It's worked wonders in our 1/2 ton vans and s-10 pickup.

Saggy tires in the rear make ALOT of heat, and sidewall blowout becomes the weak link in the chain.

Hello,
I've got a line on a 1 ton pickup, 8 ft box. Will this safely carry at least a half cord? On a side note, is a Dodge 360ci a good engine? I'm really only familiar with Ford products.

A one ton dodge will carry a half cord both in volume and in weight. The 360 is a gas hog of an engine, making meager power but gobbling huge amounts of fuel to do it.

Back