How much wood can you cut in a day?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's too many factors involved to come up with a tangible volume production here. If it helps, maybe 8-12 stems will make a cord in 8 -10" wood. Be carefull though before you bid though. It's important to have a feel for it all.
Gypo

Here are some #'s from some of my men per day.
Good studwood- 12-15 cds
Firewood- 15-20 cds
Logs-25-30 tons ( only in great wood )
Thats alot for one guy.What are the lengths for the studwood and fire wood.When I was cutting northern red pine for the paper companies felling,limbing,cutting into 8' lengths and hand pile them on the side for the skidder to pick up I did 4 cords a day every day and I was tired at the end of a day.I would like to see someone do 12-15 cords.

done this much in a day by myself a few times. done it quite a few times with help. guessn this between 3 and 4 cord
GEDC0314.jpg

I would guess 2-2.5 cords myself.

I used to go through 5 to 8 gallons a week running a 660.

Cutting 3 to 4 tractor & trailer loads a day....

sun up to sun down this past july. just falling and bucking.. my girlfriend ran the tractor.I brought 12 chains and needed all of em..dads old 60 was easier of the fuel than my 066, i think the carbs were different... when we went home, i had less than 2 tanks left in the 5 gallon can.

Damn you running a twin cylinder?

Bigger saws use a lot of fuel. I've used about 3.5 gallons through my Dolmar 7900 in a day just felling. If I was using my Husky 3120 (even though you'd have to be the Hulk or drug assisted to drop the same amount of trees with it for 9 1/2 hours!) I'd have used maybe twice that. Those big saws are pigs on fuel.

Bigger saws use a lot of fuel. I've used about 3.5 gallons through my Dolmar 7900 in a day just felling. If I was using my Husky 3120 (even though you'd have to be the Hulk or drug assisted to drop the same amount of trees with it for 9 1/2 hours!) I'd have used maybe twice that. Those big saws are pigs on fuel.

I'll agree with that.

With my old Husky 55, I could cut for nearly 2 days on a gallon of fuel. When I got my 372xp, I went through a gallon with it on the very first day, before lunch! Had to mix up another gallon before I went out for the afternoon :)

I've not had my 395xp out in the woods yet... can't wait to see how thirsty that big dude is... probably going to have to move up to carrying a 2 1/2 gallon can along with my 1 gal can that I carry in my goody box on the days I use that saw.

Big saws like the gas!

realy?
trailer deck is 7'8"x20' stacked 3 foot high closer to 4 ft in the center.

if so thats good because i only put 2 cord worth of stamps on it

I'll agree with that.

With my old Husky 55, I could cut for nearly 2 days on a gallon of fuel. When I got my 372xp, I went through a gallon with it on the very first day, before lunch! Had to mix up another gallon before I went out for the afternoon :)

I've not had my 395xp out in the woods yet... can't wait to see how thirsty that big dude is... probably going to have to move up to carrying a 2 1/2 gallon can along with my 1 gal can that I carry in my goody box on the days I use that saw.

Big saws like the gas!

Yeah. I have trouble comprehending just how thirsty my 3120 is compared to even my 7900's. A tank lasts about the same amount of time but I keep forgetting just how big a 3120 tank is!

just cutting and not moving anything 8-10cord buck limb and ready to move by myself and I figure ever hour I am on the saw is 3 hrs. to move it hope this helps. so an 8 hr. day on the saw would bring 24 man hrs to move it

realy?
trailer deck is 7'8"x20' stacked 3 foot high closer to 4 ft in the center.

if so thats good because i only put 2 cord worth of stamps on it

Maybe it's just the photo then, 'cause that trailer doesn't look nearly 8' wide in the picture. To me, it looked 4-5'.

There might be 3 cords on there then. Just curious, what kind of wood is that?

Fred B.

Here are some #'s from some of my men per day.
Good studwood- 12-15 cds
Firewood- 15-20 cds
Logs-25-30 tons ( only in great wood )

I live in Nova Scotia and have cut wood here for 10 years, I see the wood totals you have posted above and I am curious as to how much gas in terms of tanks would your men use? Also how many hours are they working to get that much wood? I would love to cut wood where your guys are.

P.S How much do they get per cord in $$?

Cutting logs as in sending them to the mill, 120 tons for 1 man is an easy 3 load day if the timber is average size(good going anymore).

If you are cutting 12 to 16'' poplars that are under 80 feet on flat ground, you can expect anywhere from 40 to over 80 tons in 8 hours work...

this is pretty close to what we would do. on a average day a decent feller hand would put out about 90 to 120 tons of short or measured saw logs. i have seen guys cut three loads before lunch break.

in some really good timber with a experienced feller you can get twice that say 240-260 tons of saw logs per day.

really crappy scattered timber maybe two loads a day--around 70t.

the landscape, the quality of the timber tract and how experienced your saw hand is are all big factors here.

back in the short-wood pulpwood days days a good felling hand in good timber could easy do 12-to 20+ chords a day. a poor scrap up tract of timber and he could drop to as low as 8 chords a day.

I live in Nova Scotia and have cut wood here for 10 years, I see the wood totals you have posted above and I am curious as to how much gas in terms of tanks would your men use? Also how many hours are they working to get that much wood? I would love to cut wood where your guys are.

P.S How much do they get per cord in $$?

Back in my good days, before arthritis started taking its toll. I was using 10 liters per day in a 044 Stihl. Worked 7-4 most days. When I switched to smaller saws I would do on average 12 tanks per day.

I was getting $25/cd for studwood, $22/cd for pulp and firewood, and $10/ton for logs. Paid my men the same. Had to lay the men off last year when Bowater was not buying. Been alone ever since. Been playing in firewood lately.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124181&stc=1&d=1265423552

Back in my good days, before arthritis started taking its toll. I was using 10 liters per day in a 044 Stihl. Worked 7-4 most days. When I switched to smaller saws I would do on average 12 tanks per day.

I was getting $25/cd for studwood, $22/cd for pulp and firewood, and $10/ton for logs. Paid my men the same. Had to lay the men off last year when Bowater was not buying. Been alone ever since. Been playing in firewood lately.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=124181&stc=1&d=1265423552

Thanks for the reply. I have to say, no wonder you have arthritis, I would need grease fittings on my elbows to withstand that day in and day out.lol. I work at silviculture for the last six years, and we felt the pinch last summer as well, our crew was lucky enough to work till the end of November. The woods is getting very tough to survive in these days and mechanical logging is the biggest culprit, too much supply to quickly. This has killed both price and wood quality,(Not to mention the Canadian Dollar) in my area of Northern Nova Scotia there are only 2 or 3 manual logging contractors left in business, which is quite shocking considering the fact that 5 years ago there were at least a dozen and they employed between 5-25 men per company. It is hard work for sure but many including myself love the freedom of the outdoors and it is a shame to see this industry die. Cheers.

thats seasoned red fir. its suposed to weigh 2-3000 a cord depending on how seasoned it is.

it probly is 2-2.5 cords. ive found a trailer load of rds is now where near the same volume as trailer load of split wood, split i can haul 4 cords on that trailer. rds im guessn its 2-2.5 like someone mentioned earlier.

this was my first firewood season, i sale all my wood i know quarter down the rds or split them down on the mtn. rds just make to much dead space specialy big rds like i had on the trailer in the pic

If we have the cull logs and tops dragged up to a central site (landing) with four guys we can cut and split 17 to 20 face cords a day. 24" length seasoned oak, that's starting at 7:30 am and staying with it to 5:00, taking a short lunch break. Splitting takes the most time, we use two guys on mauls and two on the splitter. If all we had to do is cut we probably could boost wood output to 32-35 face cords a day if all we had to do is buck it up and not touch it, just sawing. We have burned over 3.5 gallons in a day may be closer to four, depends on how much the 660 is used, it's a fuel hog compared to our 60cc saws. I think anyone that is experienced and in good shape can cut and split 10 face cords a day by themselves in good cutting conditions. I've done it numerous times and so has my oldest son. The key is having easy accessible wood, sharp chains and help that wants to work.

Back