How NOT to sharpen your chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've every been videod on a quick demonstration of something, it is harder than you think to look good. You are thinking about the time, etc. He might do a much better job of the angles when he's doing it on his own (I hope, because it's true his stroke was all over the place).

I deal with wood cutting tools a fair bit. IMO feeling an edge like a chainsaw cutter is not nearly as good a test as simply looking at the edge after it has been brushed off with a toothbrush or something.

Only thing I'd add to his explanation would be to check for any damaged teeth,then count the number of file strokes to repair that one,and use that as your count for the rest

I don't agree, if just a few teeth are damaged, there are no reason to file all the others way back as well - just make sure the rakers are adjusted to the indiviual tooth, not to some sort or average of several teeth (pick the right raker guide).

Last edited:
I don't agree, if just a few teeth are damaged, there are no reason to file all the others way back as well - just make sure the rakers are adjusted to the indiviual tooth, not to some sort or average of several teeth (pick the right raker guide).
Very true. You are pretty sharp for a troll. Cheers, Simon.

I will give him credit for trying, but I have learned as well to wear the glove on the hand holding the file. I have a nice little scar on my finger. I also like to file from the inside of the chisel out. I believe it makes my file last much longer since it does not have to cut the hard chrome. I sharpen all of my chains by hand, but I would like to get a grinder one day.

Terrible method. There is no way to be consistent the way this moron is filing. I file at 25 degrees with saws bar in a vise. File is tilted up about 5 degrees and I file in the opposite direction as this guy. I always have the rakers 30 thou below the cutter and make sure to maintain equal and adequate hook. This results in a smooth and aggressive chain for the wood on the West coast. Still, ground chain kicks butt on anything but most homeowners don't own a Silvey grinder.

I use this method, I hate having the saw move around at all. Out in the field I carry an extra chain instead of a file usually. I also have a vise I can put in the receiver hitch on my truck so I have a vise away from the barn.

I'm still waiting for a chain filing expert to advise to tighten the chain on the bar before sharpening. A loose chain will induce chattering and adversley affect the outcome of the proceedure. :popcorn:

I use this method, I hate having the saw move around at all. Out in the field I carry an extra chain instead of a file usually. I also have a vise I can put in the receiver hitch on my truck so I have a vise away from the barn.
Exactly, chains are cheap, keep a couple or three properly sharpened. I like your vise idea. Cheers, Simon.

I'm still waiting for a chain filing expert to advise to tighten the chain on the bar before sharpening. A loose chain will induce chattering and adversley affect the outcome of the proceedure. :popcorn:
Sorry to get political but,.....

"Most of our imports come from other countries"-George W. Bush (Genius)

Anyways, you are absolutely correct, the chain should not be sloppy while you are filing it. Running a loose chain will damage the bar too, you get dips near the bar tip, strange but true.

I tried from the outside in but I didnt care for it, too set in my ways already. I finally have a halfassed decent way to file quickly, I dont want to change again

What would be the right raker guide? (Serious question - I'm using the u-shaped Oregon guide now. If there's something better, I want it!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

Due to the fact the guy is at the very least trying to sharpen his chain somewhat better than running it past dull to the point of smoking it I would not give him a total failure mark. True his methods are not the best or even better than average and he probably should not be posting a video of his art form but like others have said, at least he is trying.
The inside out and the outside in method has been a topic for sharpening discussion all my 40 odd years of sharpening chain by hand,whatever works best for the individual and their amount of filing experience is ok. Some of us that can machine to .005 and use files to polish metal parts have more feel for filing chain and can do as good and even better jobs than a grinder but not everyone out there can.
The guy in the video leaves a lot to be desired by my standards and experience and would not get my vote for a how to do it properly instructional but a little sharper chain is better than a lot dull chain. IMHO.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
EXPERT VILLAGE:jawdrop:

Your village called.......they want you to come home.

Seriously, if you want faster way to sharpen chain and yet produce the same results as Drew. Fire up up the saw and at WOT just touch the bar against a nice piece of quartzite. You'll wind up with an 'expertly' sharpened chain every time.:jester:

I tried from the outside in but I didnt care for it, too set in my ways already. I finally have a halfassed decent way to file quickly, I dont want to change again

If you ever try your hand at square filing, you'll have to change your ways. I now file round in the same direction.....outside in. Leaves a more durable tooth.

that chattering will destroy a file in short order, and when using a chisel bit file that has been chattered, it makes the tooth worse in most cases.

Come on guy's.......To each their own.
You can't possibly watch that video and say that his chain won't cut. Maybe it won't cut as well as your's, and maybe it will.
I agree that he moved the file around too much, but that may be due to being on video, I'm a little bashfull too.
Most of you would pick my filing apart. I don't file round worth a crap, I use square filed chain. Several guy's around here pick on my method, but it's how I taught myself and it works for me.
A lot of times when cutting I'm a mile or more from the truck, I ain't packing out to clamp the bar in a vice, and I sure as heck ain't packing a vice in with me. I carry 1 extra chain, but that's incase my chain get's damaged bad enough it would take too long to to file it.
If we all did everything the same, how dull would this world be? And where would we come up with any improvement's in anything?
If your chain's cut well, keep on keeping on. You've just seen how someone else does it.

Andy

What would be the right raker guide? (Serious question - I'm using the u-shaped Oregon guide now. If there's something better, I want it!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

The Husky singletooth ones, that often is combined with the roller guide, works really well, as they produce a sloped raker that is adjusted to the individual tooth.

I believe that Carlton has a similar one, in the file-O-plate.

Don't use the ones that sits on the top of a couple of teeth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back