How often do you sharpen your chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olive

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Providing you don't saw the soil, do you sharpen after every fuel fill or more?

Seriously, when it gets a little dull. You can tell when you are having to work a little harder. Sometimes I can go half a day or more of steady cutting and not need to sharpen. But, I always touch up before I cut big wood.

I listen/watch and respond accordingly. If I'm struggling in a cut I'll thumb the edge of the cutters - that tells me it's a hard tree or a dull chain. Dull chain gets sharpened or swapped.

Really, who likes to cut with dull chain. If a thundercloud were coming and lightning dropping left and right, yeah I'd grind through a cut, but only in a similar circumstance.

I usually touch up chain and brush air filter at every fill up... or I try to. Always bring 2-3 extra chains (sharp) just in case. At end of day I thoroughly sharpen all chains I used.. and clean the bar, blow out airfilter.

I usually touch up the chain after every two tanks or less depending how it's cutting. A few minutes of sharpening gives me a chance to rest a few minutes and then when I get back to it with a sharp chain, I get that time back in faster cuts. I tell customers that when they are cutting, their chips should look like oatmeal, if it looks like corn meal, stop!

Every two tanks, it's time for a touch up if things are going well.
It's a general rule though, and I seldom seem to get that far except when snipping the smaller stuff off limbs.

Usually, on stems, I'll find a rock in the bark, or have some gawdawfull frozen on sand to deal with.
As soon as I notice the chain falling off sharply, I'll finish the cut and touch up the chain.

Touching things up now and then is quicker and easier, not to mention easier on the saw and faster cutting, than waiting until I'm shooting powder.
If I hit wire, or really mangle a chain(Shagbark) I'll swap chains.

Semi-chisel is awesome for field touch ups, as it is forgiving of filing errors for the most part.
Get the angle close by eyeball, and depth somewhat close, and it's still going to cut very well.

The Arboristsite is not your private forum, or shop, or area, so everyone here can start how many threads want, and how often want
There are forums that it is plastered in big letters do not start a thread until you have done a search.

I can't find the terms I agreed to on this site at the moment.

Probably a thread should be started or bumped to the top over in the Support & Announcements section on here Pertaining to this issue.

This site does have somewhat of a reputation for folks just trying to make others type for the fun of it. That is the fun of watching.

Back