How smooth is smooth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmontana

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm using a Stihl 066 with a .404 full-skip chain on an Alaskan MkIII for hobby milling and I'm wondering just how smooth a cut I should be able to achieve.

Can someone post pictures (close-ups) of typical cutting performance and identify what type of saw chain was used?

Also, can someone share their opinion on other factors (other than the saw chain) that might affect cutting quality?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Well,since you mentioned it,here is a rip cut I made last afternoon,for a garden bench.The wood is red oak,about 18 inches thick,almost 8 ft long.The chain is full comp .404 Oregon[whatever the fastest cutting round chisel number is,I forgot]I got a little deep and pulled some dirt,oops :eek: .The cut took about 2 minutes,thanks to big red[2100 Homey]The finished top was given 3 passes with a power portable plane.

Hey Al,

did you use one of those chainsaw attachments that rides on a 2x4 (some use 2x6)?? Its a little 50$ gizmo that clamps or bolts to the bar, and follows the board and let sthe saw pivot through the cut..

I was thinking about trying one just to make some benches or goofy rough things like that.. Just curious how well they work for that sort of stuff...

Ron

I will try posting a photo a try. This is a western hemlock board ripped with an Oregan 73RD full comp chain. The wood is air dryed to 12% and only requires a light planing on each surface if you want it really smooth.

Casey

here's a pic of maple i milled. I get the best results with chisel chain sharpened at a 90 degree angle to the bar, with a sharp chain and keeping the saw rpm's at a constant I get results as good if not better then a ban saw.

Latest posts

Back