How to clean nasty filthy plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in my nitro rc car days, i used to use drano crystals to remove anodizing from aluminum parts, to polish to a mirror shine. That stuff is much more harsh than easy off. The drano crystals would eat through the anodizing within 10-20 seconds, where as it would take the easy off heavy duty nearly 20-30 minutes.

I used oven cleaner on this saw two years ago, Some one painted it green. :msp_ohmy:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can still get lye at tractor supply in the form of a drain cleaner mix it with water and just soak any parts cast iron you name it clean as they were new

Great post Ron!!

Let's see them cylinder pics.

I do want my "LIKE" back after that Stihl comment............:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Great post Ron!!

Let's see them cylinder pics.

I do want my "LIKE" back after that Stihl comment............:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

May or may not have time today to do a cyl.
lots of snow to push out of the way :)

Turns the jug a darker grey is what it does..
but it does get rid of the crap and staining,,stains it all the same color !!

So what's the active ingredient in this foam / oven cleaner stuff?, for those of us who don't live in the US.

So what's the active ingredient in this foam / oven cleaner stuff?, for those of us who don't live in the US.

Read back and there is a link to the ingrediants,explains it all and what the ingrediants do..

Thanks!, missed it.

So it's lye based with some helper additives, I would imagine a brush with regular lye would do just as well, but not as easy. Coming across these products in Argentina is rather impossible, I'm lucky enough if I can find some imported car products... But forget about foamy oven cleaners!

Never had to strip anodizing off, in fact I've been trying the opposite.

As for regular steel, I can't find a better way than electrolysis to get rid of gunk and rust (you just lose the paint and infuse some hydrogen in the steel, which you can bake off later on)

Mag... no experience right there, other than burning it :msp_w00t:

Lie can be obtained by dripping water through wood ash very slowly. You end up with a potent lie/water solution. I'm sure there is a few other nastys in there also. Don't get it on you or anything your not willing to part with :)

Latest posts

Back