How to keep a saw looking new during professional use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serial killer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After watching the outrageous prices that used MS290s sell for on ebay, I've come up with the beginning of an idea.

A new 290 with a 20" bar retails for $379.95 in my area. Just about any used 290 that looks halfway decent goes for at least $300 on ebay.

So, what if a tree service were to buy say four 290s at a time twice a year for the groundies to use. Set the bars aside and use some junky ones that you've got laying around, keep them as clean as possible, then buy new saws, throw the brand new bars back on the old ones, and put them up for auction. You wouldn't have to do much maintenance at all in that six months, and you basically just rented the saw for $80 or so. The depreciation is probably tax deductible too. Unless they get smashed, you're golden.

The question is, how do you keep the bottoms and the covers looking new? I think the first step is to figure out a secure way of transporting them, instead of hucking them into a bin where they'll bounce around on the truck. Then maybe use some old beat up clutch and flywheel covers and plastic bits from parts saws and hold the new ones in reserve? How about some sort of wax or protective coating? Is there anything that works like rhino lining but can be peeled off or easily removed before reselling them? Is there any simple step that I'm missing, or do you see any flaws in this plan? I hate to keep giving the groundies 290s, but at least they would have new ones to play with instead of old cranky ones like they have now.

It seems like the MS290 seems to have the highest resale value of any saw that I've seen. Several times I've seen used ones go for prices that are within a couple bucks of brand new. Has anyone else noticed another model with similar market trends?

Last edited:
Use a different clutch cover, and air filter cover, since people are handling those parts all the time. Find el cheapo used clutch and air filter covers and keep the new ones in storage. Chain brake handles also beat up a lot so it might be worth the labor to take the new one off and throw a good used one on there to take the wear and tear.

Starter housings seem to do fine as well as mufflers.

I see two issues:

1. How are you going to get the tree service crew to baby these saws day in and day out.
2. Don't you think a tree service has bigger issues to deal with then worrying about a few bucks resale value on these saws. Like take the time normally spent waxing the 290's and sign up some new clients. (is waxing a 290 the same as polishing a turd??)

Last edited:
I see two issues:

1. How are you going to get the tree service crew to baby these saws day in and day out.
2. Don't you think a tree service has bigger issues to deal with then worrying about a few bucks resale value on these saws. Like take the time normally spent waxing the 290's and sign up some new clients. (is waxing a 290 the same as polishing a turd??)

1. Brutal floggings, of course. If that doesn't work, mass firings.

2. Well, right now we go through 290s in about 2-3 years. After that point they get tossed in a corner and raided for parts. I see this as a way to keep new saws in the guys' hands for about the same expense, which should improve efficiency. As far as signing up new clients, we don't lack for work. I end up giving up my evenings and Sundays for maintenance because we're busy six days a week most of the year. Newer saws = less maintenance = I might have time to go meet a couple new ladyfriends.

I understand your points. I'm just kicking the idea around and appreciate the voice of dissent. The most likely scenario is that we buy a few new saws this year and beat them up bad enough that we end up keeping them and continuing the same way we have.

My saw fleet are dirty ,with a very well used look. The appearance gives my customers a reasurance that I cut alot of trees and makes me look more professional. You should see a well used pro fallers saw.

I think you should go up the food chain a bit from those 290s.:)

Uhhh… no tree company or even any municipality that I know of would use or uses Stihl 290. They might use one for a chalk block or as a throw ball. Time is money in a real business. You don’t waste time worrying about how to keep your chainsaws looking new or about resale value. You just run them till they are dead then use for parts.

If you think some of my saws are pretty old models you are right. The tree service is not the 8hr a day cutting like I did in my golden years as a faller, where I would wear a saw completely out in 6-12 mths plus I worked 11 mths of the year then. I now have the winters off so I have lots of time to overhaul the old girls if needed. Besides the 026,044,066,064,090 were the better Stihls and I will hang on to them as long as I can.:)

Willard

Just take the saws to bed with you--that way you'll be sure and keep them clean and purty.....:D

Me and my buddy have been doing a little wife-swapping lately. I've been sleeping with his 056 Mag II AVEQ and he's been sleeping with my Lightning.

Uhhh… no tree company or even any municipality that I know of would use or uses Stihl 290. They might use one for a chalk block or as a throw ball. Time is money in a real business. You don’t waste time worrying about how to keep your chainsaws looking new or about resale value. You just run them till they are dead then use for parts.

I used to think the same way. I myself hate to use a 290, which is why I've been stockpiling 361s. I have done a lot of cutting with a 290, because I used to keep my work saws and personal saws separate. Now I have personal work saws for my use only and the groundies get stuck with the trash. They don't do all that much cutting anyway. A little bit of bucking and enough limbing to stuff something into the chipper.

Using homeowner saws is more common than you would think. Look at Nelson Tree's post in the lost and stolen forum. They lost a bunch of 310s, which aren't exactly the same thing, but I can't hardly tell a difference between them. And I don't think that anyone would call Nelson's a small or unsuccessful company.

Most of our groundies have never run a saw before they come to work for us. Labor is cheap around here; it's a depressed area. I think that the amount of efficiency lost only becomes a factor when you've got beat up homeowner saws that won't run reliably. Time is money, but money is also money.

If you think some of my saws are pretty old models you are right. The tree service is not the 8hr a day cutting like I did in my golden years as a faller, where I would wear a saw completely out in 6-12 mths plus I worked 11 mths of the year then. I now have the winters off so I have lots of time to overhaul the old girls if needed. Besides the 026,044,066,064,090 were the better Stihls and I will hang on to them as long as I can.:)

Willard

Actually, your saw list seems just fine. Around here, I would never ever use the 090 and use the 066 only rarely. Your truck and chipper seem way way undersized to me though. Even our third and fourth trucks are 1 tons and our second chipper is a BC1400. I would be interested in seeing some pics of the trailer though; it sounds pretty neat.

Folk in the trade look on saws as `consumables`, they have a lifespan, depreciation of the value of the saw has been factored into past jobs. When it finally packs in it doesnt owe the firm anything. Working on it to knock it out on ebay is time better spent elsewhere. In fact why not sell the pile of used saws to an ebay dealer to put up as spares or repairs.
When i mentioned to a pro i know that i had rebuilt an 026, he looked at me funny and said `yeah? i`ve got loads of those lying around in bits. When you want a new saw just let me know. I get 25% off`.

Actually, your saw list seems just fine. Around here, I would never ever use the 090 and use the 066 only rarely. Your truck and chipper seem way way undersized to me though. Even our third and fourth trucks are 1 tons and our second chipper is a BC1400. I would be interested in seeing some pics of the trailer though; it sounds pretty neat.

_You can go back to about page 20 and check out my 090 cutting photos posts[#11,#17]on the 090 thread, I charge the paper company over $100 hr to cut those paper rolls. Plus the lumber making is fun too.
_Go to the Large Equipment site and I got photos posted of my trailer unit in the "20 foot bri-mar dump trailer" thread.

For me my trailer invention does just fine for me. I have the same one employee for 5 years now, pretty well every tree we remove we leave the customer the firewood blocks and we do alot of high angle pruning and stump grinding. You would be surprised how tough and fast my little Morbark chipper is. It can chip 6" wood all day. My insurance and other costs are low, I use the same truck for work and pleasure and all my equipment fits into my 2 car garage at home. I have buddies who run alot bigger outfits and they seem to be no better off then me. Plus they can keep all their headaches LOL. :)
Willard

Last edited:
I don't think it would be a bad idea to maybe cycle through your saws a bit faster instead of running them till they're dead. My old boss would trade in 90% of his fleet about once a year. He'd get a decent trade in value because they weren't too old and a smash up rate on the new saws cause he was buying so many at a time. Not to mention all the little annoyances of worn out bars, badly sharpened chains, clogged air filters, old spark plugs, worn sprockets and the like would magically disappear. I'm a smaller biz so I try to maintain my stuff a bit better with my extra time but if you have none, that might be a way to go. I would never try to cheat another purchaser by slapping on some new plastic, bar and chain to try and convince them they're getting a better saw though.

I would never try to cheat another purchaser by slapping on some new plastic, bar and chain to try and convince them they're getting a better saw though.

You're the first person who even hinted that this plan might be in any way unethical. That's really what I was looking for in this thread. After all, I see so many wanged up 660s coming out of the PNW that I figure I might as well get in on the same kind of plan, right? That kind of attitude will get you a little rep from me now, but I bet it earns you a lot more than that over the course of a lifetime.

You're the first person who even hinted that this plan might be in any way unethical. That's really what I was looking for in this thread. After all, I see so many wanged up 660s coming out of the PNW that I figure I might as well get in on the same kind of plan, right? That kind of attitude will get you a little rep from me now, but I bet it earns you a lot more than that over the course of a lifetime.

Thanks.

I think you are on the right track, but...

If you are committed to periodically issuing out fresh 290s to the groundies, then reselling their hags on the Bay... (and you have time) it makes a ton of sense to replace the fresh plastic with old/used stuff.

One could stock a few metal covers to be "users", and keep the craplastic ones unused. Keep some used/rehabbed recoil covers around to quick-fix & rotate in...

Keeping the bottoms and handles nice, I dunno, I bet someone could rig a pad up with some zip ties, duct tape and stuff that could keep the underparts decent, but be non-permanent and halfaz-ez to remove for cleanup.

One but is that do you really have time to fool with it?

Two buts, How long are the 290s gonna be around?

What's your ebay name? I'll keep my eyes peeled for little-old-lady, one-owner, 2 trees a year 290s :popcorn:

If you're going to attempt to sell 'wanged up' saws, then be prepared for the expense of new pistons, crank bearings, oil seals, gasket sets- etc. A lot of the time when you rebuild a saw completely with new OEM parts and then sell it, you're losing money on the unit as compared to just using that unit for parts.

peel of all the stickers , place them on grease proof paper, when you are ready to sell stick them all back on and the saw will look like new :) :) :)
cover base with sticky back plastic and clean off later :) :) :)

LOL I just reread that, and went out and looked at my poor old 029S. It's had (no lies) less than 3 tankfuls, but it looks like it spent a summer vacation in Beruit. Two moves & poor storage... It runs much better than it looks though, stihl a pup ;)

No, it's not for sale either :D

Last edited:
Back