How to learn climbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlP

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Background -
I'm not a professional arborist. I have no interest in certifications. I am looking for any HELPFUL advice. (No need for "sell all your saws and hire a professional" type advice. I already know that would be safer and cheaper in the short term. This is a hobby.)

I would label myself a recreational tree remover. I help family and close friends remove limbs broken in storms and remove damaged or poorly placed trees. I don't do pruning beyond removing stubs and hanging limbs. I don't touch things hanging over power lines or houses. I've been doing the stuff your normal homeowner isn't capable of but an insured professional with climbing experience, bucket, crane, etc isn't needed. Over the last 12 years I've taken down 75+ trees, told family I wouldn't dare touch three, and hired professionals to prune/remove eight of my own. I can fell a tree from 3" to 43" DBH within +-15 degrees of where I want it to go every time.

I'm looking to learn how to climb -

There are four spruce, a pine, and a larch I don't want in my front yard anymore. They are positioned so I cannot drop them whole without risking the house, powerlines, fence, or the trees I want to keep. I would like to learn how to safely climb with spurs and drop them 50 lbs at a time. No rigging is required. Its my own front yard, so no hurry to get the job done quickly. There is a good chance I will need to call a pro for the pine even after practicing on the others. But removing the others first will entertain me and give the pros a lot more room to work.

I also want to learn recreational DRT tree climbing.

I've bought the tree climbers companion. I'm wondering if there is something a little more hands on out there. I don't need a multi-week ISA training course. I don't need to deal with OSHA. BUT I'd love a two day course on practical tips and safety so I don't get stuck up there or end up in a wheelchair. Anyone know of such a thing in New England? Are DVDs my best bet? If so, which ones have the most practical knowledge?

What saddles would you suggest I look at for spike takedowns and recreational DRT? Would something like the NT ProGear II do both fairly well?

Any other HELPFUL advice you could provide to a hobbiest?

The best way to learn is from a pro, ask one to teach you, you may need to pay or give labor, as most pros dont have alot of time. But for safety reasons, get someone to show you "the ropes"

Homeowner/rec climber

If you really want to climb, best bet is finding an ISA Certified Arborist you can pay to learn from. It can be a dangerous profession if not done properly. :msp_thumbup:

Karl where are you located? I'd be willing to give you some of my 23 yrs experience. And as stated above North American Training Solutions is full of great educators.

wheres your confidence level?
i myself have taught 2 people to climb
one of which is now arguably better then i am
but i wont even consider teaching someone to climb that cant use a saw on the ground
but if youre confident, or just that committed to learn, buy what you need and do it, my only training to start was watching another guy climb for a year or so
first tree i ever climbed i wasnt spossa be in, boss told me he didnt want me to climb
long story short he lost his climber and his wife the same day
storm hit, he was using a guy that could but didnt want to
so i said wait for him to leave, ill climb, boss came back from bidding, salesman looked at him and said, "hes already better then that other guy"
that was something like 16 years ago
climb without a saw
stay low and stay tied in
once youre comfortable in how everything works, go higher
youll know right away if youre cut for it
i know a guy who climbs towers, wont climb trees
i myself get nerved on ladders

I agree....but that sure has heck ain't me! Someone certified should at least have so proper knowledge.

It sounds like it should be true, but the CA test isn't about climbing. A number of them can't climb at all.
NATS is pretty good, and if you are willing to pay the price, they can pobably get you up to speed the fastest. I would still suggest getting and reading The Tree Climbers Companion first.
Rick

Back