How would you drop this? What saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wood sure doesn't look like the Osage Orange I have cut. Bark isn't far off, but the color isn't yellow/orange enough for fresh cut OO. Tree is shaped unlike any hedge I've seen also. It could very well be Mulberry.

Did you say you're already burning this wood?

The wood sure doesn't look like the Osage Orange I have cut. Bark isn't far off, but the color isn't yellow/orange enough for fresh cut OO. Tree is shaped unlike any hedge I've seen also. It could very well be Mulberry.

The bark and tree does look like Mulberry.

I threw a couple of pieces in this evening. The wood has quite a few small branches growing all over they break off very easy if that helps

That was kinda an awakening. Real scary chair there. With the tacky music, I failed to hear the sound. Did it make a sound? Was that Erickson Air Crane up in Beautiful British Columbia?
Yeah that barber chair scared me all the way down here in arid California. I'll be working the Christmas tree lot for the next 3 weeks, I'll think about that video every time I plug in the chainsaw.

That was kinda an awakening. Real scary chair there. With the tacky music, I failed to hear the sound. Did it make a sound? Was that Erickson Air Crane up in Beautiful British Columbia?

Something gave him a clue - he left that saw in the cut and started running. You could almost feel his terror as he watched that big SOB rise over his head as he tried crawling backwards up the hill. - Missed, ok, back to work...

It's your world, brother and I'm not trying to tell you how to live in it. Burning wood that green is asking for trouble.

What kind of trouble? I have not been able to season any wood yet I just installed the stove last year and cant get to any wood while the crops are on.

that was a beauty alright. The only thing he did right was leave the saw, he ran in the wrong direction, so much for the BC cert training.
My personal best was a 42" Madrone, it was very tall as Madrones go, very heavy lean on very steep ground, tried to pinch 4" in on the face cut, so I 'chaired it on purpose.

that was a beauty alright. The only thing he did right was leave the saw, he ran in the wrong direction, so much for the BC cert training.
My personal best was a 42" Madrone, it was very tall as Madrones go, very heavy lean on very steep ground, tried to pinch 4" in on the face cut, so I 'chaired it on purpose.

On purpose? You like the noise right? I timed it and he was behind the tree cutting just 18 seconds before it let go.

,the root ball is likely going to flop back over so high stump it a little ,and cut the rounds off after it is upright if want the firewood

I've done a few of these, and I've never liked the idea of huge root balls "flopping" while I'm standing right there with a running saw. I'm not a pro, and I still get scared when tree parts weighing tons move rapidly when I'm standing next to them. I prop the trunk up with logs under it in such a way the trunk can't drop or move while I'm sawing. For the root ball, I get long 4x4's and prop up the root ball, front and back, with the ends of the 4x4's securely anchored in the ground by being nailed to 2x4 stakes driven in. The 4x4's are secured to the top of the root ball. That way, I can be reasonably sure that nothing is going to move suddenly until its time. With the root ball isolated, I can then pull the props out and let it fall when I'm not in the way of it. If it still just sits there, then it's time to chain it and pull it down with the tractor. Sounds time consuming, but so is time in the hospital.

Good thing he was not a klutz. I wonder what the tree looked like before he started cutting. So much of that old growth will have rot in it, and there isn't always a good indicator.

here is a bad demo vid ,hope it gives an idea ,top got cut out of the recording ,there was about 3-4 inches of holding wood on top ,that keeps you from pinching ,so a bore is actually stabbing the tip of the bar into the log ,it is best to practice this first before that tree

Show Off.
You and your orange Swrench and fancy holda

It's your world, brother and I'm not trying to tell you how to live in it. Burning wood that green is asking for trouble.
I don't think it's that green, been down since last winter? Optimum, maybe not, but it is what it is. Smaller splits, clean then chimney more often.

I timed it and he was behind the tree cutting just 18 seconds before it let go.
I think he was going back to that, trimming a little more off the hinge, bar was pretty well buried as soon as he started cutting. Still scary no matter when it happened. He looked nervous from the start of that segment, I thought.

Back