How would you drop this? What saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 1 tree it split in 3 pieces. about 18ft up where the branches start it is almost 40" diameter. down at cut level it is less than 20" thick and at least 40" across. I am praying for a wind storm.

It makes me uneasy cutting the dropped stuff because the standing part makes lots on noise.
Stay away!

I'm not seeing the problem.... Cut up all the wood laying around it so you aren't tripping over anything. Notch it and cut it down. I think it's obvious which way it's leaning. Is the trunk split or it was a triple tree?

Yep. Shallow face cut and a strong saw to do it quickly. You definitely need to get the other wood out of your way so you can run.

The worst part about this is the creek that runs through the field was cleared 2 years ago, my uncle decided to keep this tree because it was so big and nice. See how that worked out.

If you're that uncomfortable, better to leave it. There's a lot to be said for knowing when you have reached the limit of your skill and knowledge.

Yeah that is always good advice. I can't see the needed details on that tree but from that one pic it looks to be an easy drop. Limb weight will guide the direction. Sometimes throwing a chain and binder around the trunk can make things safer but that is a rare occurrence. Simple is usually best.

I am not planning on dropping the tree, just chopping and dragging the pieces on the ground. Im just going to let the tree wait till I get an excavator. Just curious how the pros would go about it, sorry for the bad picture Just trying to get the whole tree. my truck is about 50ft from the tree

You dont see an issue with a tree that split?

Not necessarily. A better picture of the tree up close would be helpful, but there are lots of reasons and ways that trees split and not all of them preclude being able to manage a safe drop of the remaining parts of the tree. I don't like cutting split trees, or blowdowns, or hollowed-out straw-trees, but sometimes they need to be cut. And they can be, in most instances, with proper planning and precautions.

Not necessarily. A better picture of the tree up close would be helpful, but there are lots of reasons and ways that trees split and not all of them preclude being able to manage a safe drop of the remaining parts of the tree. I don't like cutting split trees, or blowdowns, or hollowed-out straw-trees, but sometimes they need to be cut. And they can be, in most instances, with proper planning and precautions.
Keep in mind we are talking about a guy who don't do it for a living.

So a welder can drop a tree like a pro logger?
Huh? WTF are you talkin about, jump to conclusions much?

I agree with his statement in general. One picture 300 feet away does not tell the whole story. From the picture that's been provided it appears like a straight forward drop in the middle of a field. I'd clear the immediate area around the tree first. If the standing is not sound then I'd skid the stuff that's on the ground to a safe area to cut. If I didn't feel safe I'd leave it standing. If it's sound I'd drop it the way it wants to fall naturally.

Huh? WTF are you talkin about, jump to conclusions much?

I agree with his statement in general. One picture 300 feet away does not tell the whole story. From the picture that's been provided it appears like a straight forward drop in the middle of a field. I'd clear the immediate area around the tree first. If the standing is not sound then I'd skid the stuff that's on the ground to a safe area to cut. If I didn't feel safe I'd leave it standing. If it's sound I'd drop it the way it wants to fall naturally.
The tree is broke in half where do you think all the stuff on the ground came from. It ain't safe is all i'm trying to tell him ok?

It was 1 tree it split in 3 pieces. about 18ft up where the branches start it is almost 40" diameter. down at cut level it is less than 20" thick and at least 40" across. I am praying for a wind storm.

It makes me uneasy cutting the dropped stuff because the standing part makes lots on noise.

Red, that ain't no "training wheels" learning tree. If you recognize that your out of your comfort zone, good on you. You have a good head on your shoulders.

The pros here (and pseudo pros) may claim its a no brainer. Looks to me like a big potential to barber chair. And if its 4 ft diameter 18 ft up, it's a big, big tree.

I can't say this loud enough: BE ALERT ANYWHERE NEAR THAT TREE. If you think it's making noises now, wait.

Final thought: if you wonder why so many farmers are seriously injured or killed, its a failure to recognize or respect danger outside of your expertise. Don't get dead from ignorance.

Red, that ain't no "training wheels" learning tree. If you recognize that your out of your comfort zone, good on you. You have a good head on your shoulders.

The pros here (and pseudo pros) may claim its a no brainer. Looks to me like a big potential to barber chair. And if its 4 ft diameter 18 ft up, it's a big, big tree.

I can't say this loud enough: BE ALERT ANYWHERE NEAR THAT TREE. If you think it's making noises now, wait.

Final thought: if you wonder why so many farmers are seriously injured or killed, its a failure to recognize or respect danger outside of your expertise. Don't get dead from ignorance.
Thank you for that.:rock:

Latest posts

Back