How would you respond to this eBay buyer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the USPS insurance is pretty much useless, because they expect the buyer to file the claims, etc., which they won't do, they'll just want their money back, which of course USPS knows this. Which is why E-bay just expects the seller to do the refund, and the buyer keeps the item, or it's remains, or whatever. Everyone is happy, except the seller, of course.

Well, the USPS insurance is pretty much useless, because they expect the buyer to file the claims, etc., which they won't do, they'll just want their money back, which of course USPS knows this. Which is why E-bay just expects the seller to do the refund, and the buyer keeps the item, or it's remains, or whatever. Everyone is happy, except the seller, of course.

I agree, but mysteriously, USPS has never lost any of my insured packages and the contents have always made it to my customer. I've had mixed results with USPS insurance claims. Just depends on your clerk. I had a $40 1st class package that was clearly opened by someone in the postal system. The contents were removed and the package was delivered to my customer. I was out the $40 plus shipping because I had no insurance. It's my responsibility to deliver the product to the customer. At that time, I made a blanket rule that anything over $15 would go Priority so I had insurance. We've laxed on that a bit, and it's more like over $20 now. If shipping makes us noncompetitive, then we're wasting our time. We double package everything now with interior and exterior labels in case the outer package is ripped. That's the other advantage to Priority, because the USPS pays for the inner and outer packages. 1096L box fits perfect in a padded flat rate envelope.

I gave up selling anything on eBay years ago. The fees are crazy!

I started using eBay in 1998. It was maybe .30 to list and that was it.

Now they charge a fee to list plus charge a fee on the price and shipping too.
So if it's $20 to ship they take a cut on that, and I have to pay out of pocket the difference!

Couple years ago I sold a roll of chain on there, it cost ME 10% in fees!
I've never been to a real auction that the seller pays fees, it's always the buyer.

We shipped 2282 packages last year with USPS only, and had very few problems. They offer a good service and no other company comes close to their prices for our items.

USPS is generally the only realistic way to ship to or from here.

Sure FedEx and UPS do too, but it's generally at least 2x more expensive and it takes longer.
When I run into vendors that refuse to use USPS and expect me to pay a ridiculous shipping rate, or do the "well its Alaska, so it costs more, there are no roads" I shop elsewhere.

It's not so common now, but before the internet and "reality" AK TV shows were common many vendors seemed to think they were shipping to a guy with dog sleds and lived in an igloo.

I gave up selling anything on eBay years ago. The fees are crazy!

I started using eBay in 1998. It was maybe .30 to list and that was it.

Now they charge a fee to list plus charge a fee on the price and shipping too.
So if it's $20 to ship they take a cut on that, and I have to pay out of pocket the difference!

Yep, Just paid last month's invoice, $601.39, $127.25 was final value fees on shipping. $312.98 final value fees on the actual product for 296 items. $140 for insertion fees, $60 for a premium store subscription. $38.84 discount credit for bowing down and accepting 30 day returns and 1 day shipping time. They showed $3470 is sales, 17.13% monthly fees. It's real tough to make money on saws with these fees and shipping cost.

USPS is generally the only realistic way to ship to or from here.

Sure FedEx and UPS do too, but it's generally at least 2x more expensive and it takes longer.
When I run into vendors that refuse to use USPS and expect me to pay a ridiculous shipping rate, or do the "well its Alaska, so it costs more, there are no roads" I shop elsewhere.

It's not so common now, but before the internet and "reality" AK TV shows were common many vendors seemed to think they were shipping to a guy with dog sleds and lived in an igloo.

Well you do live in an igloo and drive a dogsled don't you? [emoji38]

Yep, Just paid last month's invoice, $601.39, $127.25 was final value fees on shipping. $312.98 final value fees on the actual product for 296 items. $140 for insertion fees, $60 for a premium store subscription. $38.84 discount credit for bowing down and accepting 30 day returns and 1 day shipping time. They showed $3470 is sales, 17.13% monthly fees. It's real tough to make money on saws with these fees and shipping cost.
so what your saying is
3470 total sales - 17.13% in fees/shipping = $2875.59 leftover and 100% profit margin or $1437 in profit for 2 hours per week....not to shabby

so what your saying is
3470 total sales - 17.13% in fees/shipping = $2875.59 leftover and 100% profit margin or $1437 in profit for 2 hours per week....not to shabby

Not sure where you come up with those numbers but I like your idea of that size of profit. Those numbers are the ones shown on my Ebay invoice for the month. That doesn't take in to account the cost of the goods, envelopes, ink, paper, paypal fees, shipping fees, mileage, taxes, or office space. Not sure where 2 hours comes from. I'd like to see you package and ship 296 items in 2 hours per week.

I use first class as much as I can, but limited to 16oz. However, 1st class doesn't include insurance. It's the sellers responsibility to get the product to the customer, not the shipping company. So, if the post office loses my 1st class shipment, it's on me. Anything over 16oz, Priority is typically the cheapest way to ship it and as a bonus to the seller, the insurance is included.
Have you ever tried collecting on that insurance? Next to impossible, you're just as well off without it. I filed a claim for a lost bar that I shipped and haven't heard anything from them...been about 2 years...

I'd like to see how much profit ebay and paypal make...
Publicly traded companies have huge overheads, just for their officers. That's what drives all the rules we deal with. The officers have to meet the expectations of the investors if they intend to stay in their positions.

Have you ever tried collecting on that insurance? Next to impossible, you're just as well off without it. I filed a claim for a lost bar that I shipped and haven't heard anything from them...been about 2 years...
Yes. One time, it was a box of antique crystal glasses. Each was booked at around $20 each. 1 glass survived out of 6. Therefore, USPS divided the price by 6 and took it times 5, and didn't refund any of the shipping cost. If all 6 broke, I would have received the shipping and cost of the glasses. Another time, 041 cylinder arrived with broken fins. The seller filed the claim and the PO sent me a check for the full amount. They didn't even ask for the cylinder. Those are the only two I can remember for certain.

Post the buyers name... It's helpful for those of us that sell on eBay on a regular basis
I can when this is all resolved, I want to wait and see what happens first. I had asked the buyer for some pictures the same day he requested a refund, but haven't heard back yet. I called eBay two days ago, which was the day they said I had to respond by, and said I hadn't heard back from the buyer yet. They said give him more time and that maybe I should contact him and see if he knows how to take a picture. I figured that didn't really seem like my responsibility, he could contact ebay if he can't figure out pictures. But apparently he has until mid June to figure it out, so I just need to sit tight.

Just kiss the money good bye.
I do plan on losing the money, it's just the principal of the matter. I at least want to make the scammer work for it. I probably need to decide whether to let him keep the part and refund him, or pay for return shipping. It is almost worth it to pay for the return shipping just to inconvenience him and make him go to the post office. But I will make that decision when the time comes and eBay forces me to do so.

I do plan on losing the money, it's just the principal of the matter. I at least want to make the scammer work for it. I probably need to decide whether to let him keep the part and refund him, or pay for return shipping. It is almost worth it to pay for the return shipping just to inconvenience him and make him go to the post office. But I will make that decision when the time comes and eBay forces me to do so.
make them ship the part back....it costs you money but it makes them work that little bit extra.

Don't give up. If the buyer escalates the case and decides in his favor, you can still appeal it. It is very time consuming, but it's like you said, it's the principal.

Back