Hurricaine ready

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looks like we may get hit around here, and even we dont Ill be ready. I got plenty of water, canned goods, frozen meat extra formula for the little one and dog food for the pup. Filled the truck up and my wifes car too. And yeah the gas stations one town over have run out of fuel. I filled my gas cans up and have about 8 gal of regular and 2.5 gal of mix. My folks are set up good, they brought me up like this! My neighbor is too were we were splitting and stacking wood today, I gave him a couple wheelbarrows of some dry oak just in case.
I stopped by my parents yesterday and me and my Dad went thru his saws, new bar and chain on his husky 55 and made sure all the saws were ready to go. Hes got a lot of trees on/around his land and 1 year ago today during that freak blizzard a maple crashed thru the 5'x6' dining room window.
I packed some stuff in the truck for tomm cause as far as I know Ill be heading to work at 5:45am. Right when its supposed to get here. I took my Dolmar 540, extra 3/8" chain, quart of bar oil, axe, hatchet, my 15' chain with a choker and hooks. I plan on getting home and not waiting for "help".
My wifes parents think Im "funny", guy at work thinks Im over reacting. Maybe, but Ill eat all my soup and beefaroni, Ill burn my gas and wood even if all we get is a drizzle an a gust. But if we do lose power for a week....

Last edited:
Been doing about the same thing here, anytime we get decent wind there is always trees across the road on the way to work. I'll toss a saw in the truck tomorrow morning before I head off.

I usually have Mondays off, but I too have the truck packed and ready to go...

No rest in storm situations for the local chainsaw guy...

Only thing I need to do first thing is stop and top off my tank...

I got all 3 of my main saws ready to go after my morning from hell so we should be ready to go...:msp_thumbup:

i just hope it doesn't get as bad as they are saying,,, you guys are smart about it,, better to be safe then sorry

Me too. My wife work on a local air force base and they cancelled work, as did all the schools. Good to hear others are getting ready too.:msp_thumbup:

yup, most local schools called it early...

The perfect storm

It's turning into the perfect storm for my area. A little east and it might get seriously wicked. I am right there with you. I was brought up to be ready for anything. I have my house ready to go and the cars and saws too. I'm nervously excited and I'm only nervous for my neighbors who aren't any more ready than they ever are. I like to be the guy that prepared helping those that didn't.

It's turning into the perfect storm for my area. A little east and it might get seriously wicked. I am right there with you. I was brought up to be ready for anything. I have my house ready to go and the cars and saws too. I'm nervously excited and I'm only nervous for my neighbors who aren't any more ready than they ever are. I like to be the guy that prepared helping those that didn't.

Don't focus too much on the exact forecast track, and the last I read is that the highest wind speeds were well South-East of the centre of the system.....

Don't focus too much on the exact forecast track, and the last I read is that the highest wind speeds were well South-East of the centre of the system.....

That would make sense. The coastal areas are usually much more affected and that would be south east of me. My area is predicted to get more rain than we have had in 70 years. I feel for the areas that will be worse. We are not used to this being so far north and inland.

Stay safe folks. Good wishes from the West Coast. Hopefully the news folks hyped this a bit but it sounds like a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive vibes. We're not as experienced as you left-coast guys when it comes to high winds and blowdowns, so this will be a learning opportunity for me.

I was hoping they were just hyping it up, but the wind is already ripping across my roof and the rain drops are slowly starting. Lights are still on though. Fingers crossed. I'll keep the updates coming as long as my cable modem is working. Can't do much else. Aint gonna be gettin much sleep haha!

Last edited:
Stay safe folks. Good wishes from the West Coast. Hopefully the news folks hyped this a bit but it sounds like a bad one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to wish all members that find themselves caught up in the forthcoming storm that your property doesn`t suffer any or to much damage but above that every one[& families] stays safe

I'm stuck in a 16th floor hotel room in Boston. Kind of a helpless feeling when your only possessions are a few clothes, back pack, and credit card. I don't even have a pocket knife or flashlight! My flight is supposed to go out tomorrow at 9:00, but I'm going to look into renting a car today. At least my saws are ready to go though, 800 miles away!

A4760FC6-B58D-41E1-A76E-302944728C01-1965-000002A109176B95.jpg

The wind speed forcasts have got higher during the night, and it is a large system.

Best wishes for everyone! :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Sitting here nervously waiting it out. We're about 30 miles north of Philadelphia.

Winds have picked up pretty good from overnight and with the wet ground I'm expecting trees going over tonight. PP&L called ahead of the storm and warned customers to expect outages up to a week in some areas. We've got gen power but don't want to have to run that long on a 5500 kvw set.

As long as the trees stay off the house and vehicles we'll be good.

I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have logged just under 4" of rain, 45 mph gust and the worst is still 200 miles away.
I'm in farm country and we/the farmers have all pulled our corn crop and planted winter wheat. Which leaves the land suseptable to erosion. My 2 creecks, which are usually 30' wide are at 75' and expanding.
My biggest concern are tree/limb damaged fences. Riding a horse in wind driven rain thru the woods trying to round-up a dozen horses/jack-ass/goats etc, just sucks!

Good news: Got all 3 Stihls at the ready!!

See you all on the Flip-Side!!

:cheers:

I'm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have logged just under 4" of rain, 45 mph gust and the worst is still 200 miles away.
I'm in farm country and we/the farmers have all pulled our corn crop and planted winter wheat. Which leaves the land suseptable to erosion. My 2 creecks, which are usually 30' wide are at 75' and expanding.
My biggest concern are tree/limb damaged fences. Riding a horse in wind driven rain thru the woods trying to round-up a dozen horses/jack-ass/goats etc, just sucks!

Good news: Got all 3 Stihls at the ready!!

See you all on the Flip-Side!!

:cheers:

So that's where the CAD Mental Instiution is! ;)

Good luck and best wishes my friend! :msp_biggrin:

So that's where the CAD Mental Instiution is! ;)

Good luck and best wishes my friend! :msp_biggrin:

Thanks my friend!

We packed up our elder neighbors and got them a safe distance away. I'll be going back and forth between their 2 farms all day checking on their herd also.

Should get interesting!!:msp_biggrin:

I'm stuck in a 16th floor hotel room in Boston. Kind of a helpless feeling when your only possessions are a few clothes, back pack, and credit card. I don't even have a pocket knife or flashlight! My flight is supposed to go out tomorrow at 9:00, but I'm going to look into renting a car today. At least my saws are ready to go though, 800 miles away!

A4760FC6-B58D-41E1-A76E-302944728C01-1965-000002A109176B95.jpg

Go to the local quicky mart and at least get yourself a LED flashlight and some batteries. A case of water, and some beef jerky is cheap enough to just leave if your flight actually goes out tomorrow morning. They are pushing back lots of flights, so I would be prepared to stick around for awhile.

Latest posts

Back