HUSKEE 22 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwinch53

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a HUSKEE 22 ton log splitter fron tsc it has a 6.5 briggs engine...I think it will fit my needs...I am looking for pros and cons before i purchase...Thanx, Dan:greenchainsaw:

Good splitter. My neighbor has one with at least a million cycles on it. Only complaint is the speed. Could be a tad bit faster.

Dan,
What kind of wood are you plitting? Hard or soft woods? If you are working in the hardwoods, I would spend the couple extra bucks and look at Husky's 35 ton splitter. What an animal. Hope this helps, Chuck

Dan,
What kind of wood are you plitting? Hard or soft woods? If you are working in the hardwoods, I would spend the couple extra bucks and look at Husky's 35 ton splitter. What an animal. Hope this helps, Chuck

Chuck, hard wood, ya i know it is a nice machine but i only split about 4 full (12 face cord ) a year and trying to save $$...thanx, Dan

Dan, it's not how MUCH you are splitting, it's how BIG and WHAT KIND.

If you had asked me a week ago about the Huskee, I'd have given you a very enthusiastic YES!

I have the 35 ton, and I split big wood. That's what I have available - mostly big oak log ends and crotches. Tough stuff. Until yesterday, my Huskee split it all. Last two Saturdays I've been splitting up an old, standing dead oak. Big fella. 64" at the stump.

That thing stopped my Huskee yesterday, and not only stopped it, but bent the toe plate.

I don't think any other machine on the market in this price range would have fared any better, given the toughness of that old, dry oak, but still, I'm not happy with Huskee at the moment.

If you search on Huskee or Speeco and my username, you'll find me making a lot of very positive comments about it. I'm not ready to start making any negative comments, but I'm am in neutral right now. I'll wait to see how TSC/Speeco addresses this problem before I say anything more - positive or negative - about the machine.

My 22 ton Huskee has served me well for several years. I've had one bolt loosen up on the engine.

The only real problem I have had splitting wood was this year. I had some dried wood already cut up given to me and still don't know what kind it is. Man was it tough. Most wood that I have split is not a problem for the splitter.

If I had to do it all over again I probably would have bought a bigger splitter. There was a post a few days ago about a Harbor Freight splitter with a lift. It looked really nice. If I were buying again I would check into it.

I bought mine at the beginning of the summer ran it for about 6hrs. the first time and the lovejoy connection broke TSC replaced the whole unit with a new one I ran that one for 3 hrs. same thing lovejoy . Well long story short I took it to their service center and the young man working on it took a long time to fix it almost a full month but he managed to get a better part from lovejoy.com the best part is the warranty covered it (well they may not know the part was a upgrade) I finally got it home and went to my neighbors and me and my boys put it through the ringer split a pile of ash no problems. I would say that with the first splitter I had first we split about 10 face cords probrobly a little more than that in 6hrs. the lenghts vary since I didn't cut them they were already done some of the peices were Very large and it was all ash. So far the new part seems to be working well TSC handled it pretty well I just got asked alot of "are you using this commercially?" questions the second time around which I told them it was for personal use but it still has a 90 day commercial warrenty so how does it matter!!! I don't think you would regret it. Hope this helps irishcountry

just bought a husky 22 ton couple weeks ago. I split about 3 full cords in a day all hardwood- maple, red oak, lots of cherry. goes through a lot of fuel it seems, did great in verticle on a monster oak I cut down. definitely an upgrade from what I used to use. Pretty loud machine. Bought it at a new TSC in my area. towed it home on some rough roads and it made it home fine.
So far so good- paid $1099.00.

Try to find a TSC coupon

I purchased my in July, at that time some 10% off coupons werer available on ebay for about $4. The max discount was $100, so $4 was a $96 dollar bargain. FYI, my local store also told me that they would give me the discount without the coupon, so you might ask all they can do is say no, or save you a $100. I have yet to use mine, but will in the coming month.

Good luck.

aussieblake

bigger is generally better

I have the 35t unit. I too looked at the smaller one. After all my research and reading post in this website I decided to purchase up. I have not been happier.

You will at some point be faced with some big wood that the smaller unit will struggle to handle.

So far so good!

Got mine on black friday last year. Had it in the sale paper for 899.99
I have split quite a bit with it and find that it suits my needs very well. My only wish would be for a larger fuel tank.

Scott

I have the 35t unit. I too looked at the smaller one. After all my research and reading post in this website I decided to purchase up. I have not been happier.

You will at some point be faced with some big wood that the smaller unit will struggle to handle.
Never seen wood yet that can struggle against a chainsaw. I cut all my big stuff down into easy to handle pieces with the saw. The 22ton unit is plenty then.

bigger units may be better, IF the cycle time is the same. usually though, bigger cyinders but have the same pump. Then cycle is slower.

I get more wood done with 4 inch cylinder and speed.
Carve off the sides with the splitter, or halve the round with the saw occasionally.

So I want speed more than force, but i rarely see anything bigger than 24 to 30 inch diameter.

k

I am looking to purchase a HUSKEE 22 ton log splitter fron tsc it has a 6.5 briggs engine...I think it will fit my needs...I am looking for pros and cons before i purchase...Thanx, Dan:greenchainsaw:

I bought one earlier this year and love it. I was torn between the 22Ton and the 35 ton, but I decide I'm just a homeowner splitting for myself and the 22Ton should be big enough. I took the $800. difference and bought 2 new chainsaws with it, a Stihl Ms361 and Stihl Ms170. I figure if there's anything I get that's too big to split with the 22T I'll cut it down to size with the 361. I also figured I can't fell a tree with a 35T Husky.:chainsawguy:

Well guys, I did it, I went to TSC and bought a 22 ton splitter, i found a splitter that had an older sale tag of $1049 instead of the current $ 1099 and talked my way to an additional 10% off!!! I think this is a great deal. ( my wife thinks not, even if it was 50 % off ) so any way i even opted to charged card it for one yr.then pay in full...I pulled it home, fueled it up, checked the oil levels and went to town, split a face cord of 18 to 20'' rounds of elm, oak and maple...no problem..the elm was the hardest but still did very good...I am happy and thank you all for your comments, Dan:greenchainsaw: :chainsawguy:

Good luck with it, Dan. Now get a table for it from "33flame" on ebay.

Well guys, I did it, I went to TSC and bought a 22 ton splitter, i found a splitter that had an older sale tag of $1049 instead of the current $ 1099 and talked my way to an additional 10% off!!! I think this is a great deal. ( my wife thinks not, even if it was 50 % off ) so any way i even opted to charged card it for one yr.then pay in full...I pulled it home, fueled it up, checked the oil levels and went to town, split a face cord of 18 to 20'' rounds of elm, oak and maple...no problem..the elm was the hardest but still did very good...I am happy

:cheers:

Happy splitting!

Watch that charge card! Many a man has been sucked in by one of those deals!

I have the earlier version that my Dad purchased new in 2003.
At some point he bent the toe plate and had to weld in an additional
1/2" plate to reinforce the factory toe plate. He also added a work surface on both sides of the beam to keep logs from rolling off. With these modifications it works fine for me. I don't like the fact that the engine runs at full speed with no way to throttle it back.... unless I'm missing something..

Well guys, I did it, I went to TSC and bought a 22 ton splitter, i found a splitter that had an older sale tag of $1049 instead of the current $ 1099 and talked my way to an additional 10% off!!! I think this is a great deal. ( my wife thinks not, even if it was 50 % off ) so any way i even opted to charged card it for one yr.then pay in full...I pulled it home, fueled it up, checked the oil levels and went to town, split a face cord of 18 to 20'' rounds of elm, oak and maple...no problem..the elm was the hardest but still did very good...I am happy and thank you all for your comments, Dan:greenchainsaw: :chainsawguy:

The Labor sale flyer listed it fot $1099. So you did real good.

Latest posts

Back