Husky 142

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
These saws get a lot of bashing for being "Orange Poulans", and yes it's a plastic clamshell, but I wondered what people who actually have them think of them. Mine is a 2008 142e. I replaced the cat with a muffler and shield from a 141 and opened up the baffle and outlet a bit. It's got a 16" bar with Microlite 0.043" narrow kerf chain. My chain is 90SG with the big bumper ties, but I ground those off so now it's basically the same as 90S. At 40cc properly tuned with a muffler mod the saw is not lacking in power at all, and with the narrow kerf chain (sharp of course) it cuts so fast it just about makes me giggle - full bar in anything. It's light, about 10lbs, well balanced, starts easy. This combination just seems like an ideal saw for smaller stuff. I like all my saws, but I have to say this one is the best - there simply aren't any faults in the design.

One last thing - from what I can see the 142 has a lot in common with the Poulan 2775/PP295/4620, except the A/V system is different. I can't help wondering if a 46cc engine would fit into the chassis? I like the A/V system on the 142 better than the spring suspension on the 2775 - it feels more precise to me.

I have a 142 which i use for personal firewood - 99% oak. I bought it as a refurb. After getting the carb adjusted right, I was very pleased at how good it cuts. It's also an easy starter. It is bone stock so far. My favorite limber is a Cub Cadet 3916/John Deere cs40 (I have both) which are muffler modded. I will probably change the muffler on the 142 some day, but right now it cuts so good I don't feel the need.

My 141 is MMed. I like it. Wears a 15" bar with regular 3/8 (I switched it to rim and drum). Still runs good after eating through 50 or 60 full cords.

My 141 is MMed. I like it. Wears a 15" bar with regular 3/8 (I switched it to rim and drum). Still runs good after eating through 50 or 60 full cords.
I can believe it would run full 3/8" just fine. It sure feels strong enough.

To answer my own question, from every picture I can find it sure looks like the 46cc engine would drop right in. I wish I had the time and money to play with a spare - that would be a fun project.

Hey Chris, if you'll do a search you can watch a video of member cpr cutting with his modified 141 using 3/8" chain.

Thanks Scott. Here it is.
[video=youtube_share;SFF8n8daSUU]http://youtu.be/SFF8n8daSUU[/video]

That ran pretty good, but I'm sticking with the 0.043" Microlite. Why move more wood than you need to? It cuts very fast, and you pretty much can't bog it with the narrow chain.

Latest posts

Back