Husky 181SE mystery apperance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that Brad.
That 181SE runs great for a stock saw.
Mate, if others want that 288 so badly, it's enough for me to keep it.
If your not desperate for the bucks, keep it.
To many times we get down the road and and say "wish I had a kept that saw".
Onya mate.

Heh that was actually the 181SE that I ported a year ago in the vid. That would really be amazing if it was stock and running like that! Sorry for any confusion. The one I have that's still stock was a freebie like yours (at the scrap metal yard) and was in similar condition - though mine needed all three covers - but the P/C were just fine still. Boggles my mind why someone would throw it out like that, but I'm not complaining! I have a theory though, that my local saw shop is tossing borderline saws in the scrap bin just so I pick them out and then come down and buy a hundred or two dollars worth of parts to get it going again. Probably in collusion with the scrapyard owner!

Heh that was actually the 181SE that I ported a year ago in the vid. That would really be amazing if it was stock and running like that! Sorry for any confusion. The one I have that's still stock was a freebie like yours (at the scrap metal yard) and was in similar condition - though mine needed all three covers - but the P/C were just fine still. Boggles my mind why someone would throw it out like that, but I'm not complaining! I have a theory though, that my local saw shop is tossing borderline saws in the scrap bin just so I pick them out and then come down and buy a hundred or two dollars worth of parts to get it going again. Probably in collusion with the scrapyard owner!

Yeah right, she does run well.

Most people don't see what we see in them, being a good thing.

I do need to find a top cover. Been concentrating on the rebuild ATM.

G'day JD.

Fitted the 288 cyl and piston.
Quite a nice kit actually and ports well.
The aftermarket decomp from Baileys doesn't work atm.
Worked the inlet and exhaust without any timing alterations at this stage.
Didn't even throw a degree wheel on it.
I will have a look at the no's in the near future for interest.
I couldn't run the 066 piston as the skirt isn't wide enough.
I needed a new fuel line as the original isn't sealing at the tank, so have a temporary setup atm.
I put it in some wood and it felt very torquey considering it feels it has possibly a carb issue.
I will try and do the carb and get a quick video over the next couple of days.
I'm yet to get a top cover so made a cover out of tin (should have sprayed it red for redneck) so I could give it a quick run in some wood.
I spotted some high cover kits for $60, but do you reckon I can refind it?

DSCF2582.jpg

DSCF2583.jpg

1. Was the 066 piston unusable because of your porting work, or because the ports were already too wide on the aftermarket kit?

2. I was able to find some generic black fuel line for my 181 that was just ever so slightly larger than the hole in the tank. I tapered the end nice and smooth with the disc sander, oiled it, and pulled it through with some pliers. Once it was in place I used a bit of Seal-All around it for extra precaution. Two years on, it's holding up just fine still. The OEM line was something like $28 at my dealer, to which I told him to keep it.

3. Are you specifically looking for the HD top and filter? If not, I know that at least the low top parts are available OEM here still - the low top cover is about $50 CDN. I have the part numbers for both kits buried in an IPL here somewhere though... I may have even posted them already in this thread; I know I did somewhere here not too long ago.

Lookin' good AUSSIE!!!:clap:

Those top covers (or at least nice used ones) are hard to find. They're still available here in Canada at the dealer for just under $60.

JD, is that for the kit or the cover only? Is that crowd online?

1. Was the 066 piston unusable because of your porting work, or because the ports were already too wide on the aftermarket kit?

2. I was able to find some generic black fuel line for my 181 that was just ever so slightly larger than the hole in the tank. I tapered the end nice and smooth with the disc sander, oiled it, and pulled it through with some pliers. Once it was in place I used a bit of Seal-All around it for extra precaution. Two years on, it's holding up just fine still. The OEM line was something like $28 at my dealer, to which I told him to keep it.

3. Are you specifically looking for the HD top and filter? If not, I know that at least the low top parts are available OEM here still - the low top cover is about $50 CDN. I have the part numbers for both kits buried in an IPL here somewhere though... I may have even posted them already in this thread; I know I did somewhere here not too long ago.

Brad, the 066 piston is only 34mm across the skirt and with the cyl ported I didn't have enough skirt. It was a toss up of between compression and porting. I assembled with the kit piston and had 145/150 psi before running.
Shame the 066 piston didn't have anymore area.

I did a similar thing with the fuel line. I used a micro watering system pipe joiner and that spread the hose.

At $60 the kit was a bargain (cover, filter, manifold and clamp). It's just that I'd rather the high top for kit $60 over the low top cover for $40. I could really do with the high filter also. If nothing left I will have to settle for the low cover.

JD, is that for the kit or the cover only? Is that crowd online?

Brad, the 066 piston is only 34mm across the skirt and with the cyl ported I didn't have enough skirt. It was a toss up of between compression and porting. I assembled with the kit piston and had 145/150 psi before running.
Shame the 066 piston didn't have anymore area.

I did a similar thing with the fuel line. I used a micro watering system pipe joiner and that spread the hose.

At $60 the kit was a bargain (cover, filter, manifold and clamp). It's just that I'd rather the high top for kit $60 over the low top cover for $40. I could really do with the high filter also. If nothing left I will have to settle for the low cover.

Well I'd consider selling you my hightop & filter for the price of the lowtop parts I'd need, but it's had a break repaired already by plastic-welding a piece in. It's a good job but isn't as pretty as new. The OEM tops are available from pretty much any dealer here; I can't really give you a name of one with an online presence though. I'm not even sure true Husky dealers are allowed to re-sell parts online either.

As for the wider piston skirt, keep an eye on those Wiseco pistons that Brad Snelling is working with. They seem to have wider skirts. If they hold up really well for him they might be worth looking into.

I found a few 181SE carcasses at a local Husky dealer closing shop, and will be hopefully able to make at least 2 good runners out of it.

I am considering buying a 288 P/C kit for one of them to convert it to a 288. Seems they bolt on easily, but do I need another carb also ?. Acres specifies two different HS types.

I also noted that the max operating rpm specified is totally different 12500 max for the 288 vs 8400 for the 181 :confused:

Can someone clarify this ?
thanks

I found a few 181SE carcasses at a local Husky dealer closing shop, and will be hopefully able to make at least 2 good runners out of it.

I am considering buying a 288 P/C kit for one of them to convert it to a 288. Seems they bolt on easily, but do I need another carb also ?. Acres specifies two different HS types.

I also noted that the max operating rpm specified is totally different 12500 max for the 288 vs 8400 for the 181 :confused:

Can someone clarify this ?
thanks

You shouldn't need to switch carbs. As far as I know, the reason for the different part number is because the 288s used a different throttle linkage setup (plastic lever instead of a metal link rod like the 181) so as long as you're still using a 181 case and handle you should be OK. If you're going to move up to a high-top cover and HD filter, you'll need a different intake manifold as well. Either way do yourself a favor and block the governor circuit (if applicable, all of mine have them) in the carb before trying to tune it, especially if you modify the cylinder or muffler

I'm assuming one is advertising max free RPM and the other the cutting RPM under load? That would sound more in the right neighborhood anyway. I know the cutting RPM of my 181SE is significantly higher than that!

Roland, the 288 kit I fitted to mine was quite a nice kit.
Without base gasket, It's running 185psi.
I had a slight tuning issue so I removed the carb and gave it a clean out and blocked off the governor system Brad speaks of.
Running bluddy worse, so back in tomorrow.
Is the inlet control lever set horizontal in these carbs?

Latest posts

Back