Husky 2100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions on the Mushky 2100. Got the opportunity to pick one up cheap and just wanted some opinions on the saw.

:popcorn:

The 2100 was a pretty good saw in it's day. I hear it's a good milling saw still.
I used to run one felling timber. It was good for big tree's, but as the tree's the FS let us cut got smaller it started feeling like you were carrying a refridgerator with handlebars around the wood's.
There have been some fast one's in competition's over the years.
Just my opinion, but if I was cutting for the mill again it wouldn't be my saw of choice today.

Andy

Thanks Andy, it's more of a "because it's there" kinda thing for me I don't actually think I would use it beyond the occasional conversation piece. Thought about mounting it to a mill and playing with it but wasn't sure about the performance of the saw. I figured with the age of the saw it would probably be more of a torque monster better suited to the longer bars and milling.

Refrigerator huh.... :laugh:

The 2100 was a very noticable break from the old low rev torque monsters. They are strong and fast. They are loud, and viberate bad. They are one of the main reasons Husky has a reputation for viberating the screws loose.
Speaking of which. Make sure that the screw holes aren't worn out. Many of them had the screw threads in the magnesium worn out before the p/c wore out.
For an occasional use saw, it would be fun. It will get you into a fairly modern and powerful 100cc saw.

I use a 2100 w/ thin ring mod(175# compression) for milling mesquite, I push it very hard &it doesn't bog down. This is rreal world cutting. Others can talk about HP.which is very deceptive, but I'm talking about a work saw that gets the job done W/o lightenining the force up to fingernail-painting pressure so you can keep the the RPM up to 15,000 . It's a true workhorse saw if tuned properly.

worth it !!!

I recently bought one for $80.00 because the guy couldn't get it running. I heard a lot about the ignitions having problems but took the chance. It just needed the carb reworked and all the anti vibe bushings replaced. Local dealer gets the parts overnight.

I took it out last weekend to do the bigger stuff after limbing with my Olympik 950. All went well until the pull rope broke on the 950 (durn thing only lasted 22 years) and then I had to use the 2100 or head home. My arms are still aching but it was awesome. It breezed through the 22" dead oak and didn't slow down for the limbs.

I'm glad I got mine and I like the older stuff anyway. How much are they asking for the one you are looking at??? I'd say get it if you think it is a deal, no matter what.

Back