husky 261 question............

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old 040

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i've been eyeing one of these that looks to be in real nice shape and the price is right, were there any issues with this model?, and will a 272xp p/c fit these also?, thanks ahead of time....................040

The 272 P/C will fit with a lot of machine work. I would install a 262 piston and maybe have it ported if you still think you need more power. There is a very notable jump with only the piston swap.

The 272 P/C will fit with a lot of machine work. I would install a 262 piston and maybe have it ported if you still think you need more power. There is a very notable jump with only the piston swap.

so..........i take it these are built with the same integrity of the 262xp?

so..........i take it these are built with the same integrity of the 262xp?

The crankcase is the same. The 262 clutch is a three shoe vs. a two shoe on the 261. I have done several conversions without swapping the clutch and without a problem. The muffler are also slightly different but not enough difference to matter, and it can be overcome very easily. There are some other minor differences which may or may not apply depending on the year model of the 262 discuss. I would just swap the piston, mod the muffler, and call it good.

The crankcase is the same. The 262 clutch is a three shoe vs. a two shoe on the 261. I have done several conversions without swapping the clutch and without a problem. The muffler are also slightly different but not enough difference to matter, and it can be overcome very easily. There are some other minor differences which may or may not apply depending on the year model of the 262 discuss. I would just swap the piston, mod the muffler, and call it good.

sounds good, but what was different about the pistons?

Yep +1...Be, for all intents and purposes a 262 with the changes nmurph described...261 is simply a detuned 262

Latest posts

Back