Husky 261 Worth with scorched p/c ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guy at work has a 261 that ran lean and did some p/c damage. He says it will run all day if you can get it started, so I figure it can be saved. I've read here about the similarity to the 262xp, and that sounds real exciting! I've been looking for a saw to clean up and rebuild, this may be the perfect one. What would you give for this saw? I haven't seen it yet. This guy is the hardest worker I've ever met, so I'm sure the saw has been used. However; I don't think it will be abused, and he would have only been using it as a farm saw. Should come with a 20 inch bar.
Thanks guys.
James

I bought a mint 261 a couple years ago with a scored p/c. It was so clean, I gave the guy what he was asking for it......150 is what it cost me. It had the 262xp jug on it (had 262xp cast into the cylinder). The main difference between the 261 and 262 was the piston. The 262 had a flat top piston and the 261 had a dished piston for lower compression. I bought a 262 piston aftermarket and went to town.

If you do the same, keep an eye out for the aftermarket pistons. Most of the ones I saw did not look like the one that came out of it, meaning they didn't have the ports in the piston by the pin.

Back