Husky 262XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 257 is a turd compared to the 262XP, but probably a decent saw for firewood under 10". A 254XP Jug/piston would make it a lot more fun for limbing and just about everything else.

I'm pretty sure a 254xp jug/piston won't work in a 257 because of connecting rod length difference. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

The 257 is a turd compared to the 262XP, but probably a decent saw for firewood under 10". A 254XP Jug/piston would make it a lot more fun for limbing and just about everything else.

I won't be expecting too much when I get it running then. Will probably send it on its way once I revive it. I have plenty of 60cc class saws, and don't need another on the shelf if it's nothing special. Are the aftermarket 262 P/C sets worth running? Will they (along with the right carb and clutch) make a 257 into a near 262XP?

A good 257 isn't a bad runner. Nice wide powerband, with decent top end. Runs pretty good for an open port saw. The 362xp came in 2 flavors early run Had a small mount bar pad and later large mount pad IIRC. The 262xp has the tourqe of a 372xpm, I think @ 6 or 7,000 rpms I have run number of 262xp's. Some were super some just ok. I have a 1990xp and a 1995xpg that are very good runners. The mufflers are stock. Both seem to like being set slightly rich on the H mix, as opposed to my 036 that is a dog set the same way. The 036 needs to be over 13,700 to shine.

Congrats on the 262 xp Joe . I hope to get one myself someday . I do however have a 254 xp and a 257 . I am just your average firewood cutter so I like them both . I run .325 chain on the 254 and 3/8 on the 257 . And I really can't tell a lot of difference between the two during a day of firewood cutting . I really don't know why people bash the 257, maybe because it did not have a xp sticker . That is ok though if it keeps the price down. So much the better more for me . I don't come across any 262s in my neck of the woods, just one and the guy would not part with it . But maybe I can find a crummy 257 to turn into a 262 . Enjoy the saw .

Latest posts

Back