Husky 346xp, 353 (or Redmax G5300), Stihl 260 PRO, Redmax G621AVS: Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaludaRiver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a small farm and these are my choices for a weekend saw.
I rarely do any felling, but I live on a small river where large old hardwoods will fall across and in the river.

I could probably get by with a Husky 450 or even a Stihl 250, but I want to get a little more saw than needed. I'm looking for that saw that will last me for 20+ years.

I am trying to stay in the $400-500 range. Any thoughts on which saw is best or any other suggestions for saws or vendors would be welcome.

out of the saws you listed, I'd go for a 346xp

or try a MS261 I've never used one but I hear they are OK...

I'm going purely on the fact that he reckons a 450/MS250 will do, and wants a bit more saw than one of those...

Of the mentioned saws, I've only tried the two Husky's, and my vote goes to the 353!

Another option I have tried is the Dolmar 111/makita dcs 520. Very good saw, for the money.

Edit: don't know if that saw is still available in the Us!
Here in Denmark, at least the makita version is. The Price is about 40 % of a 346 xp.
And still a quite light saw, with mag cases, and outboard clutch!

Last edited:
Of the mentioned saws, I've only tried the two Husky's, and my vote goes to the 353!

Another option I have tried is the Dolmar 111/makita dcs 520. Very good saw, for the money.

Edit: don't know if that saw is still available in the Us!
Here in Denmark, at least the makita version is. The Price is about 40 % of a 346 xp.
And still a quite light saw, with mag cases, and outboard clutch!

Those Dolkitas are a design from the 1980s, and suffers badly from it, even though the design was good back then. The Pro versions were the Dolmar 115 and the Makita 5200.

I know this saw wasn't listed originally, but take a look at an Efco 152. It will be all the saw you'll need, and it costs around $330 brand new. I love mine.

Stihl 260 /261 or Husky 346xp...take your pick....
Either one will serve you well!
Best two 50cc saws on the planet!!!

Go with the best dealer in your area...both parts and service...
Go in various dealers and see how they treat you...
Ask them some "loaded" questions you already know the answers to...
This will help you evaluate their integrity and if they're just in for the sale.
Finding a real quality dealer is like finding the gold "mother-load"!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I have a small farm and these are my choices for a weekend saw.
I rarely do any felling, but I live on a small river where large old hardwoods will fall across and in the river.

I could probably get by with a Husky 450 or even a Stihl 250, but I want to get a little more saw than needed. I'm looking for that saw that will last me for 20+ years.

I am trying to stay in the $400-500 range. Any thoughts on which saw is best or any other suggestions for saws or vendors would be welcome.

May be the only one to reply that has owned all the saws mentioned. If a 15/16 inch bar is to be used the three 50cc saws will meet your needs. If its a 20 inch plus bar, go with the 621.

If parts being available (new or used) for 20 years matters, go with the Stihl or Husky.

I work for...

a couple of farms on the side and find myself picking up my 346xp more and more . Also use my 260 when I need a little longer bar(18 in). I haven't tried the 261-262 but alot of guys on here really sing their praises. If money is a concern and you occasionally need more power a 6400 or 6401 Makita might be a better buy. When we need a bigger saw I go to my 372xp but the makita might cover most anything you run across if it wasn't to heavy for all day use .jmho;)

Those Dolkitas are a design from the 1980s, and suffers badly from it, even though the design was good back then. The Pro versions were the Dolmar 115 and the Makita 5200.

I know it´s an old design! So is my Husqvarna 55!
But I really enjoyed using the Dolmar, I tried last autumn!
Although not as super fest reving as the 353 / 346 xp.

Don´t know the price tag in the US, but with a price of 2995 DKR versus 6795 DKR for the 346 XP, I think it´s a good saw for the price.
And it would suit the average Firewood guy here, just fine.

Latest posts

Back