Husky 346xp, 353 (or Redmax G5300), Stihl 260 PRO, Redmax G621AVS: Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey SawTroll,

I see a 346xp in yer sig...so maybe you like 'em...

But what makes it so much superior to the ms261? :confused:

Not fighting, just asking...:cheers:

Well, I don't think I have used the expression "much superior" - but here we go;

Several differenses that result in better handling is the main difference + the accelleration of the 346xp. :msp_smile:

Basically the same that makes the 346xp better than the 5100S, but a bit +/- on the different factors....

Last edited:
Guess it's on sale, maybe they try to get rid of the last stock? I think the price is good!

If it is the 115iH, it surely is.

Btw, the weight specs used to be waaaay "optimistic", but eventually was corrected, at least at some markets.

Btw(2), the Norwegian Army have used quite a few of them since the early 1990s, and most likely still do (?).

If it is the 115iH, it surely is.

Btw, the weight specs used to be waaaay "optimistic", but eventually was corrected, at least at some markets.

Btw(2), the Norwegian Army have used quite a few of them since the early 1990s, and most likely still do (?).

The specs indicate that it's the green version of the 111 !

Don't know what the real world weight is! But to me it seemed, that the one I tried was as light, or lighter than the 353!

The 111i and 115i were pretty much the same saw.

The difference was the clutch shoes/spring(s), the bar length, and the decal on the starter cover.

The ones without the"i" had Walbro carbs and the "i" version had a Tillotson carb with the injection type choke.

The i's were nice as most of them would start and run with the choke on. Just turn the choke off after you get it started.

The 111i and 115i were pretty much the same saw.

The difference was the clutch shoes/spring(s), the bar length, and the decal on the starter cover.

The ones without the"i" had Walbro carbs and the "i" version had a Tillotson carb with the injection type choke.

The i's were nice as most of them would start and run with the choke on. Just turn the choke off after you get it started.

All the difference I remember is that the 115 was the pro version, and had a higher power spec. The difference between the Makita 5200 and 520 was the same, as I remember it.

There also were at least one version with a smaller cc engine (110?).

I think the 109/110 was in the same frame but was a 2.4cc saw / 14" bar. They had a 40mm piston/open port cylinder design rather than the 44mm closed port design of the 111/115.

On the 111/115, the 44mm piston was the same but there was something different about the cylinder as it had a different part number.

I made an error in the previous post, the 109/110 were 2.4 ci

The 111/115 was 3.2 ci

I think the 109/110 was in the same frame but was a 2.4cc saw / 14" bar. They had a 40mm piston/open port cylinder design rather than the 44mm closed port design of the 111/115.

On the 111/115, the 44mm piston was the same but there was something different about the cylinder as it had a different part number.

Yes, most likely different porting - or more....

Brad was exactly right, buy either a 346xp or 261 stihl both are excellent saw.
I own both, they are fantastic, I happen to prefer the 261.

What you should ignore is SawTroll, how he can (with any integrity or credibility) can continue to bash the 261 without having ever used one is just unbelievable. Blind unabashed brand bias constitutes bordering on plain ignorance.

Both the 346 and 261 are as good as it gets, you cannot make a mistake with either one. Both are clearly at the top of the 50cc class. I've owned a 250 and you would be disappointed with one if you ever picked up either the 346 or 261.

The 9 oz more that the 261 weighs is really not noticed by anyone that actually is used to physical labor and uses saws frequently.

The only advantages I like with my 261 over my 346 is that the 261 has superior air filtration and has imho a wider power band.
Their is no difference in acceleration. lol I'd pick whoever has the best local dealer support (husky or stihl) and buy the saw at which ever one you feel the most comfortable with.

I've got Stihl, Husky, Efco, Dolmar, Homelite, McCullough and they are all good saws. Brand isn't the most important thing in my book, dealer support is. The dealer that takes care of me the best just happens to be Stihl. I'd be just as happy running any other color saw, if I got taken care of the same way the Stihl guy does.

What you should ignore is SawTroll, how he can (with any integrity or credibility) can continue to bash the 261 without having ever used one is just unbelievable. Blind unabashed brand bias constitutes bordering on plain ignorance. .....

You don't have to run that creation (MS261) to find out it is not what a 50cc saw should be - it simply can't handle like a 50cc saw should handle, with that design and weight, + weight distribution.

Troll, your opinion is based on what, you have a degree in mechanical engineering, mechanical design or just personal predjudice? Like so many others on here have realized your opinions have no basis what-so-ever. Just an arm chair quarter back that has nothing better to do than bash one brand. A total lack of personal integrity imho.

At least run a saw before bashing it, ever run a efco 152, nope didn't think so, go spread the hate somewhere else. It has gotten to the point of being pathetic.

You don't have to run that creation (MS261) to find out it is not what a 50cc saw should be - it simply can't handle like a 50cc saw should handle, with that design and weight, + weight distribution.

Actually I prefer the feel of the 261 over the 260. The extra distance between front and rear handles removes any feeling of extra weight when working.

Troll, your opinion is based on what, you have a degree in mechanical engineering, mechanical design or just personal predjudice? Like so many others on here have realized your opinions have no basis what-so-ever. Just an arm chair quarter back that has nothing better to do than bash one brand. A total lack of personal integrity imho.

At least run a saw before bashing it, ever run a efco 152, nope didn't think so, go spread the hate somewhere else. It has gotten to the point of being pathetic.

I just have common sence, and knowledge of what makes the differences! :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back