Husky 359 power issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the mod approach stays within the recognized guidelines for a work saw, you are OK. Still, you should run a modified saw with some discretion, that is not to fry the thing running a dull chain, and pay attention that the carb setting is not too lean.

Recognized guidelines??????????????????

You mean the BS that people have repeated enough times that people accept as fact. It doesn't matter if it is true....everyone says it.

Fred

Recognized guidelines??????????????????

You mean the BS that people have repeated enough times that people accept as fact. It doesn't matter if it is true....everyone says it.

Fred

No...or yes, depending in what you are referring to. C'mon Fred, there are a few givens on the matter that don't require an electron microscope to sort out, or saws would be burning up big time all over the place, or at least wouldn't start or run worth cra@. What I had in mind by my post, is what I have found that works with my own saws, and I believe that for the most part, these same considerations are what has proven successful for other folks as well, who run modified work saws. I also realize that other aspects are more open to debate....and the learning process goes on. Do you want to question my own basis for reliability....if so, drive out to the woods where I am working, and at break time I will shut off the saw and we can talk about it. First you have to fly over here though. Why be so friggen negative, man?

Last edited:
No...or yes, depending in what you are referring to. C'mon Fred, there are a few givens on the matter that don't require an electron microscope to sort out, or saws would be burning up big time all over the place, or at least wouldn't start or run worth cra@. What I had in mind by my post, is what I have found that works with my own saws, and I believe that for the most part, these same considerations are what has proven successful for other folks as well, who run modified work saws. I also realize that other aspects are more open to debate....and the learning process goes on. Do you want to question my own basis for reliability....if so, drive out to the woods where I am working, and at break time I will shut off the saw and we can talk about it. First you have to fly over here though. Why be so friggen negative, man?

It just my pet peeve. I really do believe that WHO does the modifications is just as important as what modifications are done.

I know I've seen some terrible exhaust ports posted on this site.

Fred

It just my pet peeve. I really do believe that WHO does the modifications is just as important as what modifications are done.

I know I've seen some terrible exhaust ports posted on this site.

Fred
Yes Fred, everyone here isn't an accomplished saw builder, but there's a lot of good factual information on the 359 available on this site.
If nothing else a simple muffler mod does wonders. Agree?

Yes Fred, everyone here isn't an accomplished saw builder, but there's a lot of good factual information on the 359 available on this site.
If nothing else a simple muffler mod does wonders. Agree?

Absolutely.

I don't think everyone should be a builder and I don't think it is that hard to get some good gains. I just don't think that porting should be the first thing we throw at people relatively new to this addiction. And I don't think that most of the information is facts. LOL

Fred

Buy the non cat muffler. It's the best $40 you'll spend. You'll gain a little power but a lot less heat. It will give you great peace of mind when you notice how much quicker they cool off. You'll have to cut the plastic sleeve that goes around the carb screws and work it off with a pair of needle nose pliers. Get a rotary tool with a very small attachment and slowly grind the tabs off of the caps on the carb. adjustment screws. I would richen the H jet about 1/4 turn from even if just switching to non-cat without modding the muffler.
+1 on getting a non cat muffler! I have a 2159 the hot red headed sister to the 359:) my favorite saw! It started out life for two tanks with the cat muffler. I turned the saw off to move some blocks that I had cut.
It was one of those perfect day's 0c not a sound in the January woods I could hear my saw making noise it was going kink, kink as the metal was cooling I never herd a saw make that noise before. I know this is not a scientific test, but I put my hand in front of the muffler and could feel the heat coming off it, felt much hotter than anything I have ever run. I did a search on AS and found similar reactions. So I ordered a non cat one for it,that I promptly modded,that then lead to porting the saw.
I like my 2159 so much I skipped the 70cc saws in my lineup to go 80cc that's how much I like the saw.

Last edited:
Back