husky 570,565 or stihl 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first real chainsaw. I cut my own firewood in Vermont. Most trees are in the 20-28 inch range. I have 6 acres of mostly woods (maple, beech and birch also spruce) I do have a budget and i can get a husky 570 for about $580, 565 $550 or a stihl 361 $600. I was looking at either a 20 or 24" bar. I have already thought about stihl ms390 and husky 460 but from reading other post here I have decided to go with a bigger saw. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Will

Do you mean a husky 365? I'm not aware of a 565 husky saw?....

The 365 would be the best value of the saws you listed. The 365 is a very strong firewood saw. I ran mine for years with 20" bars and had a 24" to put on it if the need arised. Good luck, you will get many differant suggestions from everyone here.

Good luck, have fun and be safe

opps

Yes i meant 365 not 565. I could also get the 362 husky for $600. The huskies include 3 chains and free shipping the Stihl saw has to be picked up from dealer and no extra chains. If money was no object I would buy the ms441 or ms440 but I do have a budget and I am looking to get the best deal I can on a NEW saw.

I run a MS390 all the time with a 25" bar and it tears it up run skip tooth and you are even better. I like that saw a lot It might be my favorite. It is not a pro saw but will most likely do what you need. I am not to knowledgeable about the others and will by no mean speak poorly of them. I just wanted you to know I have had good luck with my 390 and would recomend it to anyone.
Jared

Go to your local Servicing Stihl dealer and get the ms361.. Or you could go to Home Depot and get a Husky in a box.. Man I just sounded like a magazine ad.. Anyway I am bias... only Stihl will be in my hand..The ms361 is a favorite on the site and for good reason.. Way advanced anti vib setup and awsome power to weight too!! Plus any warranty issues and you can take it back to the dealer for service..

I own stihls and a huskie. I would go for the 365 for the three free chains and wait at home for them to be delivered. Good luck and happy cutting.

My wife took me shopping today and bought me a early Christmas gift. I went with the Stihl MS361. More money but our local dealer is good and we have bought other products from them in the past and their service is excellent. The dealer threw in a extra chain and a few other things.
I wasn't sure about purchasing through the internet because I was concerned about service and some of my local Husky dealers have never heard of a 365. Husky has stopped making them and I am not sure how easy it will be to get parts in the future. It isn't even listed on their web site.
I know Huskys' are good saws but i think the Stihl is a better fit for me.
Thank you all for the help.
Will

vtfirewood said:
My wife took me shopping today and bought me a early Christmas gift. I went with the Stihl MS361. More money but our local dealer is good and we have bought other products from them in the past and their service is excellent...I know Huskys' are good saws but i think the Stihl is a better fit for me.
Will

Congrats on your Christmas gift! You made a wise choice and did so, it would seem, on an informed basis. Buying a product you're comfortable with from someone you're comfortable buying it from are equally important considerations.

Oh, and you saved yourself a couple pounds, too - the 365 is on the same chassis as the 372, whereas the 361 is much lighter and more compact, an added bonus!

Happy cutting!

vtfirewood said:
My wife took me shopping today and bought me a early Christmas gift. I went with the Stihl MS361. More money but our local dealer is good and we have bought other products from them in the past and their service is excellent. The dealer threw in a extra chain and a few other things.
I wasn't sure about purchasing through the internet because I was concerned about service and some of my local Husky dealers have never heard of a 365. Husky has stopped making them and I am not sure how easy it will be to get parts in the future. It isn't even listed on their web site.
I know Huskys' are good saws but i think the Stihl is a better fit for me.
Will
Isn't it nice to know that you made the right choice.
Way to go and welcome and enjoy.:rock:

1wildthing said:
My next saw will be a 362. It is lighter than the 365, and not much less power.

That is a bunch of BS brought to you by husqvarna. The 362, 365 and 372 are all built on the same chassis, only difference being the piston and cylinders..so there might be 1/1000 of a pound difference in the actual piston and cylinder weights.....

Opt for the 372xp while you still can. EPA has made all of them extinct in the short time to come....

You made the right choice, the MS361 is a great saw, I love mine. Maybe you can sweet talk the wife into a MS441 in few months. Speaking of your wife, I hope you get her something nice for Christmas, she deserves it.

Opt for the 372xp while you still can. EPA has made all of them extinct in the short time to come....

I'm not sure buying a saw that will soon be discontinued soon is the smart thing to do.
Some day, and sooner than expected, you just might need the parts needed to keep it running that are no longer available.

Buy a saw you want to be running 10-15-20 years from today.

home depot doesn't sell huskies.

and the box stores that do sell a small selection of their low end saws.they can't even seem to get the 359 anymore.i really don't see what the big deal is.they aren't selling the whole line or the higher end saws.you still have to go to a dealer to get a real husky.

My vote goes for a Stihl 361!

Im not a big Stihl guy, I like at least think I run the best saw in the class... for a 60cc saw the 361 rips. It will not dissapoint you, I run mine with a 20" bar, some say an 18" bar balances better and you can run up to 28" with full skip chain.

Unless you opt for a 372xp Husqy, I'd go for the Stihl.

Now that I've been able to use my new 361 a few times I must say it is incredible. I've cut some sugar maple and red oak and this saw is great. I am very happy that I chose the 361. And the 20 inch bar is a good size for the trees i'm cutting.
I'm glad I was able to find this forum. This forum and every one on it offered a lot of help
Thanks
Will

good choice!

361 is an awesome saw.have fun and be safe.

since home depot DOES sell dolmar,maybe we should start bashing them.:dizzy:

Now that I've been able to use my new 361 a few times I must say it is incredible. I've cut some sugar maple and red oak and this saw is great. I am very happy that I chose the 361. And the 20 inch bar is a good size for the trees i'm cutting.
I'm glad I was able to find this forum. This forum and every one on it offered a lot of help
Thanks
Will

Good choice. I've had my 361 for about 18 months and it's been totally without flaw. When you have a chance use the "search" function on AS and look at muffler mods. If you open up the muffler just a bit it makes a tremendous difference in the way the saw runs. Have fun...be safe. Bob

Latest posts

Back