husky 61 muffler mod question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58hydraglide

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well i perfromed my first muffler mod on my 61. I brazed in a 3/4" stack and drilled 3 1/8" holes in the baffle through the exhaust port opening. In my searches here on muffler mods, some of you guys said you heat up the brazed seam and disassemble the muffler to remove the baffle. I tried that on my muffler and I rolled the torch around the muffler for 5+minutes, it was cherry red, yet I still couldnt separate the halves. I couldnt seem to keep all 4 sides hot enough. Any thoughts? I thought about cutting it apart with my die grinder and cutting wheel, but without knowing how the baffle is installed inside I didnt want to contribute to the scrap heap.

I got your PM...unfortunately, I can't help you on this one, as the muffler on my '83 vintage 61 is a three piece muffler held together by the mounting bolts (front half, rear half, spark arrestor screen). I wonder if the multi-piece muffler is a direct bolt on?

Back