Husky question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skinnykid02

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As I was looking at specs on different saws I read some specs on Husqvarna that confuse me. Maybe some of you can explain it.

The 455 rancher advertises-- 55.5cc
3.5 hp
13.2 lbs

The 359 advertises 59cc
3.9 hp
12.1 lbs

The 460 advertises 60.3 cc
3.7 hp
12.8 lbs

So the 460 is more cc's but has less Hp's. The 359 has the the most HP and is lightest.

Why would someone spend the extra money on the 460 over the 359?

Maybe there is something that I am missing?

?

If you can figure it out your better than most. the numbering comes from the engeneers and we done know how they think . but yes the 3359 is one of the best you can buy.

Your probably right on with your specs , the xp pro saws always have a better weight to hp ratio , thats kind of why they cost more ( better design) , the 359 isn't listed as a XP pro saw but most feel that its right up there with them and therefore it has a very good weight to HP ratio .

Skinny,

The 455 is heavy for it's power, and is choked with emissions stuff.
It lacks the durability of the features found in the 359.

The 460 is the 455 on a diet.

Of those three, the 359 wins.

Shop around a bit, and you will find all manner of pricing wierdness amoung those three.

I bit on the 455 over the 359 for the 70 dollar difference several years back.
Good saw, but I could use those .04 ponies now and then, and the weight difference is noticeable quick when limbing.

Someone here said the 455 will be dropped to the homeowner side and cheapened up a bit soon, and replaced with the 460 in the landowner line.

Don't ask why the 359 isn't still in the XP line, can't tell ya.
But it's bang for the buck once you run one side by side with the 455 and 460.

Pricing is goofy and the numbers don't tell the whole story.

Best of luck with this!

One of the guys will be along and explain the squish and boreXstroke stuff.
They love this sorta thing!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i believe the 359 was considered a pro or close to it model last year.this year they catagorize it as a "landowner" model. i was asking my dealer about the 359 a while back and he also considers it a pro model saw, even though it has no xp after it.

HP differences

attachment.php

I agree with stihlboy. To paraphrase, "It not just the size of your cc's but how you use them!" Knowing the compression ratio (or "clearance", also known as squish) and the maximum power RPM would help resolve this. I suspect the larger displacement saws with the same or less horsepower give a bit more torque due to the larger piston area.

However, I do think something is wrong with the numbers on Husqvarna's website as the listed bore and stroke of the 460 do not yield 60.3 cc's of displacement using the conversion: (bore^2)*3.14159/4*stroke*(2.54cm^3)

For the 455 and 460, using 1.8" bore and 1.3" stroke yields 54.2cc's. For the 359 using 1.85" bore and 1.34" stroke yields 59.0 cc's (which is what Husqvarna lists).:dizzy:

That said, I suspect SawTroll will have the answer to this as seems to know all the different data sources. SawTroll? :cheers:

all hp is, is a math problem. not sure off the top of my head, but i believe that the 359 will turn more r's and that is a factor in the hp equation. more r's or rpm will result in more hp. i have a 359 and it was my first saw and it is 6 yrs old with only new air filter and spark plug. it has been a great saw :clap:

your right the 359 is almost $100 more.
But that raises the question of why?

I mean they are "close" in specs. What makes the $$ difference?

your right the 359 is almost $100 more.
But that raises the question of why?

I mean they are "close" in specs. What makes the $$ difference?

The 359 has a mag. case, better bearings and is lighter.

The 450/455/460 have plastic cases, lesser bearings and are not built as well.

You are paying for metal vs. a plastic injection molded case (cheaper to make), better internal parts (more money) AND the 359 can mod and REALLY SCREAM!!!
It's the same as comparing a 353 to a 350. The 353 and 359 are not listed as "XP" saws, but are built like them. So they are lighter (anything lighter in this world with more power, means more money) built better and should last several years longer in service.

I have a 350 that I have beat for over four years now, no problems what so ever. I'd like to have a couple more just lying around so I can have one when they dry up!!

That being said, if you have the money, I would eagerly spend the $100 on the 359 over the 455.

Clear as mudd now?

one other thing that caught my attention is, in the shop, they explained to me that the 460 has a magnesiam crank case and that was part of the extra $$ but the husky web site doesn't show that. It only advertises the magnesium crank cases on the "logger" saws. Did they lie to me? and yes, price is an issue of mine if I were to buy.

Oy Vey the confusion!!!!:cry:

one other thing that caught my attention is, in the shop, they explained to me that the 460 has a magnesiam crank case and that was part of the extra $$ but the husky web site doesn't show that. It only advertises the magnesium crank cases on the "logger" saws. Did they lie to me? and yes, price is an issue of mine if I were to buy.

Oy Vey the confusion!!!!:cry:

Ok, first you can do a little research on the web. All of the Husky specs and build data is on the Husky site.

Secondly, you can read a little bit of what has been posted here. I think most of your questions have been answered here already.

ok Redneck, I read your post again, I am kinda sorta maybe a bit more straight on it now.

thanks.

Latest posts

Back