Husky "XP" mean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
Many new Husky saws are "XP" models with the same number as older models without the designations of "XP". What's the difference?

For instance. Is the "357" the same as the "357XP"?

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
It means Extra Performance, generally runs on higher rpms than the other Huskys.

Most Huskys pro quality saws today, including 353, 359 and 365, are closed port designs, regardless if they are XP or not.

The XP/XPG designation replaced the SE/SG ones in the late 1980s.

Today there a no models numbers that are sold in both xp and non-xp versions, so when people write 346, 357, 372 etc they really refer to the xp saws...........

Last edited:

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
It means Extra Performance, generally runs on higher rpms than the other Huskys.

Most Huskys pro quality saws today, including 353, 359 and 365, are closed port designs, regardless if they are XP or not.

The XP/XPG designation replaced the SE/SG ones in the late 1980s.

Today there a no models numbers that are sold in both xp and non-xp versions, so when people write 346, 357, 372 etc they really refer to the xp saws...........

Thanks to all for the good info. I really don't understand "open" vrs. "closed" port, being a big dumby I don't know what you mean by this.

So there are really two saws with different hp/rpm's, one that says 357 and the other that says 357XP. Is this right?

Last edited:

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks to all for the good info. I really don't understand "open" vrs. "closed" port, being a big dumby I don't know what you mean by this.

So there are really two saws with different hp/rpm's, one that says 357 and the other that says 357XP. Is this right?

nope, ppl just generaelyl reer 357xp as 357...

vapnut257

vapnut257

ArboristSite Operative
Xtra Pennies.... XP just means more money out of your pocket. They make all these different model numbers (Husky ain't alone)just to confuse the buying public and set up a smoke screen. You would think they would build the best quality in all the products that carry their name but of course we all know that ain't true. The more model numbers... the more confusion.... the more consumer confusion, the more money the company makes. Get it?

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Xtra Pennies.... XP just means more money out of your pocket. They make all these different model numbers (Husky ain't alone)just to confuse the buying public and set up a smoke screen. You would think they would build the best quality in all the products that carry their name but of course we all know that ain't true. The more model numbers... the more confusion.... the more consumer confusion, the more money the company makes. Get it?

unfortunately that isnt true, since ATM there isnt single model that has both xp and non-xp models, but in past there we're some (such as 242 AND 242xp)

clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite

Whatever, I have been using them for 20 years. And if it doesn't say XP I don't use it, there is a reason. Stihl has no such alphabetical designation, takes a lot to figure it out, like the 390 is a dog, the 460 is pro. With Husky you know, right away, XP or not.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.... So there are really two saws with different hp/rpm's, one that says 357 and the other that says 357XP. Is this right?

No, that is what I tried to tell that is not the case, with todays models............:)

...Today there a no models numbers that are sold in both xp and non-xp versions, so when people write 346, 357, 372 etc they really refer to the xp saws...........

Last edited:

DGG

ArboristSite Operative
No, that is what I tried to tell that is not the case, with todays models............:)

How come I can find saws for sale used that are the current model as the "XP" (like 357) but they don't say "XP" on their name plate? That's what confuses me. See attached as an example. it is just a plain old 357. It doesn't say 357XP. What I'm asking is whether or not it is the same saw as the 357 "XP" version or have they juiced it up?

Last edited:

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
How come I can find saws for sale used that are the current model as the "XP" (like 357) but they don't say "XP" on their name plate? That's what confuses me. See attached as an example. it is just a plain old 357. It doesn't say 357XP. What I'm asking is whether or not it is the same saw as the 357 "XP" version or have they juiced it up?

That looks like 257 to me, which isnt xp...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector

That saw is not a 357 at all, it could be a 257 though - totally different, older, and not an XP. The xp saws from that series of saws were the 254 and 262, the 257 one of the "weaker sisters"......

Last edited:
ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Xp

:givebeer: on my 288XP, it's an older saw that was made in Sweden, it says Xtra Power right on it. I don't really think it means all that much, it was just a way of determining what was homeowner and a pro saw, i.e. more durable. It also said it on my 266XP until I painted over it, lol...

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Xp

:givebeer: on my 288XP, it's an older saw that was made in Sweden, it says Xtra Power right on it. I don't really think it means all that much, it was just a way of determining what was homeowner and a pro saw, i.e. more durable. It also said it on my 266XP until I painted over it, lol...

That is just what I was gonna say! Yup the saws like 281's and 288's have Xtra Power right on top of the air filter cover. XP means Xtra Power! It's true too!:chainsawguy: :biggrinbounce2: ;) :laugh: :D :rockn:

Latest posts