Husq 372XP vs. Stihl MS460 Mag? What should be done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get some some semi skip or full comp square ground chain and stay with a 7 pin on the 372.

I would definately call myself a Stihl fan but I have to admit the 346, 372, and 390 are nice saws. I without question think that Husky has Stihl beat when it comes to airfiltration and anti-vib. I feel that Stihl has better overall build quality and durability. All companys have their turds and shining stars.

Thanks for all the help folks! I do know he has zero want to mod his 460 so im not to worried about that. As faras my 372 goes...if I were to do a dual port MM and run an 8 pin rim how would I fare? My 372 is running the 32" bar it came with and his 460 is on a 32" as well.

No on the 8pin with a 32. That's a lot of bar on a 372. 460's torque advantage will be magnified as you get out of the 372's comfort zone. Pick up a rebuilt 385 and put him 9cc's down. Or better yet, just do what you're there to do and don't worry about racing your saws

Ive heard a lot of mixed feelings about running a 32 on a 372. What are your opinions regarding it? It came with a 32 so why not? I also have a 24 for it but I figured the 32 would be good for when I needed to drop something that requires it.

Ive heard a lot of mixed feelings about running a 32 on a 372. What are your opinions regarding it? It came with a 32 so why not? I also have a 24 for it but I figured the 32 would be good for when I needed to drop something that requires it.

Whatever makes you happy. There's all sorts of rules for bar length per cc, but if you're not consistently running the bar buried, and not cutting all day, you're probably not gonna want to pick up a 390 just to run the 32 when needed

A strong 372 will pull a 32, but it's a little too much IMO. At the W.Kentucky 066 buildoff, I think my flat top 066 finished 8th out of 15-16 saws, so I finished about mid pack. I put the same 32'' bar and chain on my ported 372xpw and it cut a second faster in the same wood than my 066 did. Cutting cookies is a bit different than work though, while it did pull it good through that clean cant, I don't think I'd like it much trying to work with it everyday, JMO.

No on the 8pin with a 32.

Yup, 8-pin only would slow your 372 down in big wood. The extra chain speed you get from an 8-pin is only good if you have the torque to keep
it in the high RPM powerband.

As you can see there are a lot of factors @ play

Here's a Good link Sprocket tuning recommendations. Lot of info on Madsen's you could put to use:

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_sproc_tun.htm

Depends what wood species and how big and which chain type. Around here, a 24" bar with full comp chain would be more useful and is more typical for a 70cc saw. I imagine, though, that cutting a Humboldt face in big wood with a 24" bar is a fool's errand.

When I cut firewood at the hunting club , I'm usually cutting with a guy who is a professional logger . He has Stihl 460"s or 046's , i cant rem. which . My lowly MM'd 272 smokes his 46's in both speed and torque . He got pissed , and now brings an 066 to the ring . :dizzy:
Gotta get my 181 done , and shame his 66 . :msp_wink:

Maybe your chain is sharper and/or better than his, and/or your "gearing" is closer to optimal.

Lots of variables enter the picture in random comparisons.... ;)

Another Thread dedicated on how to make a non Stihl saw Perform like a Stihl saw. If you owned a 460 than you could hang with your buddy. At this point Just use the Husky as a trim saw. You wont overwork it and with the 32" bar you wont have to bend over to cut. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I've run a 32" on a couple 372s and 2171. It will pull it when ported just fine. I think the saw is a little better balanced with a 28" bar.

Another Thread dedicated on how to make a non Stihl saw Perform like a Stihl saw. If you owned a 460 than you could hang with your buddy. At this point Just use the Husky as a trim saw. You wont overwork it and with the 32" bar you wont have to bend over to cut. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

just wait till next week, another rehash of a 460/461 vs (insert saw of choice here) me , i'll vote for a dolmar 7900 :popcorn:

just wait till next week, another rehash of a 460/461 vs (insert saw of choice here) me , i'll vote for a dolmar 7900 :popcorn:

They already did that one a lot. The 7900 is way better in every way.;)

You miss the point the point - it is about a smaller Husky against a larger Stihl! :givebeer:

You miss the point the point - it is about a smaller Husky against a larger Stihl! :givebeer:

I'm searching for a good 372 to test on the dyno. I know the #'s of a 460 in my head. I wanna run a 372 through the wringer and compare. I'm searching on yakaz and eBay for a deal.

Maybe you could find a member close that has a 372 you could run on the dyno?

Latest posts

Back