Husq 372XP vs. Stihl MS460 Mag? What should be done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No clue on a car because I don't race cars and haven't researched it. I can tell you a saw with a max 6 HP within .1 HP from 6500-9200 rpms is a better cutting saw that one that has max HP of 6 at 8000-9200 rpms. The more torque the better for larger sprockets and bars.

Incorrect IMHO. If you set the saw up with the correct sprocket/bar & chain combo they will be equal. Power is power and it's always there, it doesn't magically disappear, you just have to use it properly.

Last edited:
How many of you have actually taken a modded 372 made a cut set it down and then done the same thing with a modded 460?
Lots of replies are opinions, worse than that many are opinions of groupies.
The difference is miniscule, it boils down to what you like and want, not what others like or want. These are both the best two production falling saws of all time, even with a 32" bar and as well as an 8 pin sprocket.

Saw 1 has 6hp at 9200 rpms saw 2 has 6hp at 9200rpms this means both saws have 3.425 ft-lbs of torque at 9200 rpms. Saw 1 has 3.94 ft-lb of torque at 8000 rpms wich is still 6 hp. Saw 2 has 3.75 ft-lb at 8000 rpms so it has 5.71 hp. Saw 1 has 4.50 ft-lb at 7000 rpms wich is still 6 hp. Saw 2 has 4 ft-lb of torque at 7000 rpms wich is 5.33 hp.

Saw 1 can handle a bigger bar or can run a smaller bar faster with a larger drive sprocket because it has the torque to pull it through. My 660 pulls a 36" bar with authority. My 461 will not unless you hold back on the saw.

:cheers:

Last edited:
How many of you have actually taken a modded 372 made a cut set it down and then done the same thing with a modded 460?
The difference is miniscule, it boils down to what you like and want, not what others like or want. These are both the best two production falling saws of all time, even with a 32" bar and as well as an 8 pin sprocket.

So are you saying your a groupie?:hmm3grin2orange:

Apples and Oranges but

In the sprint car world here in the PNW (because of heavy tracks)

Torque is were it's at because of the tracks during TT's during races the gearing can be changed to compensate for the track speed

I'm really sorry Robert J for getting this thread so sidetracked. Good luck modding your 372 to beat the 460:rock:

I'm really sorry Robert J for getting this thread so sidetracked. Good luck modding your 372 to beat the 460:rock:

Side tracked?......lots of good info here racing is won on variables weather its a saw or a car, there's literally hundreds to compare a guy just has to pick the ones he thinks will lead him to victory

I did it a few times about 2 weeks ago. Usually the 372xpw I have has been faster but this 460 that was here was a super good runner. It pulled 28" semi skip with an 8 pin in hardwood nicely.

Ok...most of the wood we cut here is Ponderosa's, Digger Pines, live oaks, blue oak, black oak, heritage oak and many other oaks, Cedar and some Madrone. Its not a big deal to mod the saw to beat him...I just want to haha. So I'm modding the saw for work...lots of it considering were starting a company based around tree work/removal, brush clearing and firewood. What are the best things I can do until I can send my saw to someone on here to be ported?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the chain. Square file a chain, or purchase a square filed chain, and set the rakers. I like running .030 depth for hardwood or .035 for softwood.

I have a ported 460 and a ported 372 (both done by "major" builders on here). The 460 is hands-down stronger. I know the 372 could be made faster with some squish work, but the gap bw the two is very noticeable with a 24" buried and levered into hardwood. That said, the 372 is more comfortable to run for extended times.

Chad, I haven't forgotten you. I have the carb for the 460, I just need the time to install it, and trim the key and advance the timing a few °'s

Last edited:
I have a ported 460 and a ported 372 (both done by "major" builders on here). The 460 is hands-down stronger. I know the 372 could be made faster with some squish work, but the gap bw the two is very noticeable with a 24" buried and levered into hardwood. That said, the 372 is more comfortable to run for extended times.

Chad, I haven't forgotten you. I have the carb for the 460, I just need the time to install it, and trim the key and advance the timing a few °'s

Your 460 is a turd. I've seen it.

Your 460 though has extensive mods that your 372 likely doesn't have, making that comparison skewed. Both my 372 (50mm bore) and 460 have just ported cylinders set to the same squish and both have stock ignitions, mufflers, and carbs and the 372 has the edge.

Back