Husq 372XP vs. Stihl MS460 Mag? What should be done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you must have never made a living with a stihl.all saws and all brands loose nuts ,bolts,screws clips,and caps when worked long and hard day after day.

Your 100% right. I haven't made a living with a Stihl or a Husky. I've had a few 372's with missing bolts. Both brands shine and ####. Locktite all your screws in the 372 and you got a dandy saw just pray the crank holds up.

Your 100% right. I haven't made a living with a Stihl or a Husky. I've had a few 372's with missing bolts. Both brands shine and ####. Locktite all your screws in the 372 and you got a dandy saw just pray the crank holds up.

I'm done now. You found my weakness. I really defend my favorite Stihl hard.

keep digging, youll convince "yourself" that the stihl is better. you would think that if the 372 is so prone to crank failures they would not have been one of the most popular saws in history. go figure

Huskies lose bolts, Stihl air filter setup doesn't stay as clean and the av on stihls aren't as nice. I've rebuilt both brands with new cranks.

The 460 is more solid feeling. 372 is more comfortable. Both will last a long time with good maintenance. It will be a toss up on which is faster between stock saws with the chain and tune probably making up the difference.

keep digging, youll convince "yourself" that the stihl is better. you would think that if the 372 is so prone to crank failures they would not have been one of the most popular saws in history. go figure

The main reason I stay with Stihl is because I work for dealership that sells Stihl. I love my Stihl saws and back them up pretty hard. I wont argue with a guy that run them and ported both for a living. No hard feelings Terry. :msp_smile:I would like to see a strong 372 and a strong 460 on the dyno. I've seen videos of the 372 smoking the 460 and the 460 smoking a 372. Porting is an art and I have yet to see two ported saws the same.

Last edited:
The 460 I just had here at home working on was a real runner. I wish it was mine so I could send it to you. It was faster than my Xpw and 288.

If it's a cookie cutting contest, then get the 372 ported. Simple as that. But for work purposes, I'd take the 372 any day because it's lighter, uses less fuel, and the trees around here aren't big enough to where the 460 would pull away. The bigger question is who can put more wood on the ground in an 8-hour day; the better-skilled, stronger operator will win every time.

thank you. +1

I'm not trying to start a fight, but I've owned 372's and own a 460..
My brother does all of his cutting with a 372....there one of the best saws ever built in my opinion,
The only reason i don't own a 372 know is that i'm shopping for an older one to port and just haven't found the right one yet. Or better yet... Husky soon comes out with an Auto tuned 372
But there is no way a stock 372 will cut with my 460... The 460 just has way too much torque.
I've run ported 372s, but i've never ran a good ported 460, so i can't say how that matchup would be, but i would have to think that a 460 modified by the right builder would be stronger than a ported 372 (JMO)

You're not comparing apples to apples....Put a 25"bar and full comp on both saws in larger wood and you're in trouble...buy a bigger husky...Because after he has figured out that you have done some mods he's gonna start modifying his 460....your fighting a losing battle..:hmm3grin2orange:

Yep ...no replacement for displacement.

Back