Husqavarna 455 rancher is this a good fire wood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krokit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking at buying a 455 rancher as a firewood saw. Not going to be cutting realy anything bigger than 18 inches or so. Maby ocasionaly something bigger. Mostly fire wood

It's a nice saw and mine runs like a raped ape.

I bought mine to cut firewood also but boy does it get me in the lower back the next day. For 18" stuff, there's probably a lighter saw that would suit your needs better.

I've seen alot of praise for the husky 346 on the site but have never compared the specs of the two. Ya might want to do a little research in this area.

my dads got one and it will eat though just about anything you put it in. Not the fastest saw out there but it has some low end torque. if your looking something for something quick and for the same price range the 346xp would be another saw that i would look into.

Good saw, but I'd much rather have a 346. Same power, or more, less weight and Pro quality.

I agree Don. And furthermore if I were going to spend $400.00 I would just get a 346xp ne pho and get the 18" at Lowes for $27.00. I tell ya anywhere else you look that little .325 bar ia about $45.00.

OK for blocking smaller logs, but the power to weight ratio makes it ill suited for the woods.

:agree2::agree2: it is heavy for a 55cc saw,,,dang it,,i actually agreed with sawtroll,:biggrinbounce2::hmm3grin2orange:

:agree2::agree2: it is heavy for a 55cc saw,,,dang it,,i actually agreed with sawtroll,:biggrinbounce2::hmm3grin2orange:

Sure it is, and also low power for a 55cc saw.

It basically has modest 50cc power for 60cc weight - not a saw I would want!

Last edited:
Sure it is, and also low power for a 55cc saw.

It basically has modest 50cc power for 60cc weight - not a saw I would want!

if i remember right it is over 13pds,,i had 1 for about 3 days,ran and cut good but was heavy,,thats why i went to the cs-530 at 11 pds and cut a lot faster

if i remember right it is over 13pds,,i had 1 for about 3 days,ran and cut good but was heavy,,thats why i went to the cs-530 at 11 pds and cut a lot faster

Don't worry, sawtroll will be back to ridicule your echo.

455 rancher? Don't own one, but have run one a number of times at pops. A good firewood saw. They can be found all over craigslist.

Don't worry, sawtroll will be back to ridicule your echo.

455 rancher? Don't own one, but have run one a number of times at pops. A good firewood saw. They can be found all over craigslist.

Is it just me or is watching Obama "making it rain" mesmerizing. I can hardly look away to read your response. That thing is hilarious.:laugh:

Not over 13, but close enough.

I will refrain from commenting on the Echo, as that one is off topic.

I had a 455 Rancher with a 20" bar that I bought new about 2 years ago for firewood. It was a very reliable (heavy) saw that worked fine for cutting softwood to about 20".

In retrospect, it should never have had a 20" bar. I think it would have been a much better saw for that purpose with a 16" or 18" at a max. Kept the chain sharp, etc.

I started cutting hardwoods, mostly downed red oak. The 455 was just too much work. It bogged in the cut on anything over 15" on oak. It was heavy, for what it could do. Most of my cutting is at about 6,000 ft elvation, by the way.

Put it on CL and sold it for $200.

Didn't hate the saw by any means, but decided an MS660 would be more fun for what I do now.

Overall, if you get one cheap ($319 on sale a Lowes/ebay), make sure it has an 18" or less bar and you will be reasonably happy for light use. A muffler mod might have helped it a lot, as well.

Back