Husqvarna 254 to Husqvarna 372xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhunter368

Reaction score
Bought the 254 the morning Hurricane Hugo hit the Carolinas. Made a lot of friends in the neighborhood helping to clear the aftermath. Used the saw to clear and clean up our small lot and for friends needing trees cut. This summer I purchased a piece of heavily wooded property needed extensive thinning and clearing. Have been using the 254 and a 245 husky clearing saw and have been pleased for the most part, but am beginning to want another more powerful saw for felling and larger hardwood bucking. Is the 372xp the next logical step up? What about the 385xp? I handled the 395xp with a 32" bar at the dealer which seemed far heavier then I would like to handle. Also are there any particular safety concerns in stepping up to 372xp?

Hi elkhunter368, Glad to see a Carolinian and welcome to Arboristsite. If you are planning on using a 20" bar, I would recommend the 372XP. 24" and larger the 385 or 390XP. As for safety, a minimum would be safety helment and chaps. I also recommend the Husky leather protective gloves as well as steel toed boots.

Tony

A 372 will run a 24"-28" bar with skip chain. I have a 395, it is a killer saw, I love it for big trees or big firewood, but 95% of the time I use my 2171 (same as a 372) 'cause its easy to handle. You found the 395 heavy, I can use a 395 all day but I have been running saw for 20 years. You are not production logging, don't make it too hard on yourself.

Nonsense

Get yourself a 7900 dude. ALOT more umph than the 372 and about the same weight. Prolly about the same cost too. I'm from Mt. Holly dude, right up the road from you. You'll really enjoy the 7900, you should at least try one...

:popcorn:

A 372 will run a 24"-28" bar with skip chain. I have a 395, it is a killer saw, I love it for big trees or big firewood, but 95% of the time I use my 2171 (same as a 372) 'cause its easy to handle. You found the 395 heavy, I can use a 395 all day but I have been running saw for 20 years. You are not production logging, don't make it too hard on yourself.

Clearance,just the other day you stated that you would never own a 575XP because its heavier and has the same power as a 372.

Freakingstang disputed that in the same thread.

Now you say that you need a skip chain to run a 24"-28" bar on a 372.

Uwharrie, just stated that he would stop at a 20" bar on a 372.

Now take it with a grain of salt because I haven't run a 372, but I do own a 05 model 575XP that I run almost all the time with a 28" bar with full comp in tough ole twisted up white oak. In fact I also have a 20" bar for it and to be honest, I think it pulls the 28" just as well.

So maybe Freakingstang is right about the grunt the 575 has over the 372.

Husqvarna also list the 372 useing up to a 28" bar and the 575 up to a 32". I think I belive Husqvarna.

I bought it to cut up an almost 200 year old white oak that was about 52" across the base. I'm still impressed with this 575XP, it's powerfull, it starts good, and is as smooth as you could ask for.

I wish someone close by had a 372 that I could compare it with. I do know that the 24" MS 440 that a friend brought over to help do the big Oak didnt have anything on the 575.
If you can run the 395 all day the pound and a half extra the 575 has on the 372 shouldnt bother you at all.

Just stating my own findings, since I own a 575 and most people posting opinions on them seem to have never seen one, let alone run one.

Husqvarna also list the 372 useing up to a 28" bar and the 575 up to a 32". I think I belive Husqvarna.

You shouldn't believe them, or any other manufacturer, as you never know what conditions they base their statements on - no "industry standard", so to speak......

Thanks for the replies. I hefted the 575xp and didn't notice any big difference in handling or weight, but I know a day of use is a different story. Same with mountain hunting rifles. The dealer did say that for his commercial customers who had the 372's they preferred the 372's over using the 575's. I haven't considered the 7900 if only because the area dealer I patronize carries Stihl and Husky. I will purchase the chaps, gloves, and helmet I guess length of bar/type of chain indicates when you will need a better engine, but when do you need the longer bar? What size/type of wood for the 372/575 and how big before you want/need the larger 385/390 sizes? The wood I'm cutting varies substantially from softwood pines to hardwood, gums, ironwood, etc. with bases/stumps up to 24" diameter. I know this will never will be production logging and bigger isn't always better, just wanted to know what step up with to take to complement the 254 which I will still use for limbing and smaller/softer wood.

Thanks for the replies. I hefted the 575xp and didn't notice any big difference in handling or weight, but I know a day of use is a different story. Same with mountain hunting rifles. The dealer did say that for his commercial customers who had the 372's they preferred the 372's over using the 575's. I haven't considered the 7900 if only because the area dealer I patronize carries Stihl and Husky. I will purchase the chaps, gloves, and helmet I guess length of bar/type of chain indicates when you will need a better engine, but when do you need the longer bar? What size/type of wood for the 372/575 and how big before you want/need the larger 385/390 sizes? The wood I'm cutting varies substantially from softwood pines to hardwood, gums, ironwood, etc. with bases/stumps up to 24" diameter. I know this will never will be production logging and bigger isn't always better, just wanted to know what step up with to take to complement the 254 which I will still use for limbing and smaller/softer wood.

With 24" max, the natural and sensible step looks like the 372xp to me.....:)

LOL I once thought because an 18" came on a new 42cc saw it would work ok because the factory put it on, so I bought a Poulan at the farm store that thing was so weak it couldnt cut skinny green wood haha dumb me! Common sense!!!

A 372 with a 20" works great for all the guys around here. Honestly I think it would pull a bigger bar since I can drive the saw hard if I want too cutting dry elms but why unless you are cutting big trees a lot a 20 imo will do about everything. And it gets plenty heavy dont kid yourself haha! :)

Clearance,just the other day you stated that you would never own a 575XP because its heavier and has the same power as a 372.

Freakingstang disputed that in the same thread.

Now you say that you need a skip chain to run a 24"-28" bar on a 372.

Uwharrie, just stated that he would stop at a 20" bar on a 372.

Now take it with a grain of salt because I haven't run a 372, but I do own a 05 model 575XP that I run almost all the time with a 28" bar with full comp in tough ole twisted up white oak. In fact I also have a 20" bar for it and to be honest, I think it pulls the 28" just as well.

So maybe Freakingstang is right about the grunt the 575 has over the 372.

I bought it to cut up an almost 200 year old white oak that was about 52" across the base. I'm still impressed with this 575XP, it's powerfull, it starts good, and is as smooth as you could ask for.

I wish someone close by had a 372 that I could compare it with. I do know that the 24" MS 440 that a friend brought over to help do the big Oak didnt have anything on the 575.
If you can run the 395 all day the pound and a half extra the 575 has on the 372 shouldnt bother you at all.

Just stating my own findings, since I own a 575 and most people posting opinions on them seem to have never seen one, let alone run one.
Maybe a 372 can run full house with that size bar, never said it needed skip cause it didn't have the power, I said skip because who wants to sharpen full house, like why? I can run the 395 all day when I need it, if it ain't big wood, I don't need it. My advice to the guy is good, tried and true vs heavy and new.

Imo the 372xp does very well with a 24" bar and full comp chain, but hardly with a full house one.....:jawdrop: :)

I prefere the 20" for balance though - haven't tried the 16" one yet.......:biggrinbounce2: :ices_rofl:

Imo the 372xp does very well with a 24" bar and full comp chain, but hardly with a full house one.....:jawdrop: :)

I prefere the 20" for balance though - haven't tried the 16" one yet.......:biggrinbounce2: :ices_rofl:

Sorry I don't have my nomentclature about saws down yet. All we know is skip and full. Full comp, whatever, how about skip and non skip?

Sorry I don't have my nomentclature about saws down yet. All we know is skip and full. Full comp, whatever, how about skip and non skip?

:greenchainsaw: A full house chain is one with a cutter on every drive link, twise as many as a full comp (standard) one - not very practical for work.....:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back