Husqvarna 266xp Seized

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoncaliVineyard

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Husqvarna 266xp saw that has seized on me. My neighbor let my Dad and I use it to see if we wanted to trade another one of our saws. He told us that we should at least try the saw before we traded him, which I assume is fair. This saw had been hotroded as the air filter was cut out and a large foam filter was attached to the carbuerator. He told us that he had it tuned in such a way so that it didn't idle well until it was warmed up. He said they ran it that way when they were logging so that they ran hotter. Yet, I was very skeptical when we fired it up and there was no smoke. I figured it was running a bit lean. He told us that we should run 50:1 or 40:1 in it. Which sounded reasonable. Anyways, we used it for about 30 minutes total and bucked a few logs with it. Then all of a sudden, clang! It froze up. Me and my Dad were both sawing at the same time and I could hear it over my McCulloch 650, so it was very loud. The saw had seized. The pull rope would not pull anylonger. Anyways, I guess my question is. Are these expensive to rebuild? I feel bad for borrowing a saw and having it seize on me. We were going to trade a brand new 450 e-series saw for the 266xp. I don't know maybe even with a rebuild, it may still be a good deal? What do you guys think? I would like to have a nice professional saw but I am beginning wonder about the Husqvarna line. Maybe a Stihl or a Dolmar would be nice?

Last edited:
Ron, you're just north of me. I'll be headed up that way early next to pick up some equipment in Coburg, I could take a look at the saw for you and give you some ideas on fixing it.

It may very well not be, once a saw gets to that point it's likely there's major cylinder damage. I have to wonder if your neighbor hadn't run his saw in a while and the diaphragms in the carburetor were dried out, then as you said the saw was running lean. It's a real shame too, the 266 is a good beast.

By all means go buy a new Dolmar or Stihl, then take it straight over to the neighbors and have him tune it for you..

Exactly. And be sure to let him run it that way in the woods for 15 years, and then give it back to him just before it dies. Then he can "wonder" about somebody elses brand.

Anything i ever had that was "tuned so it wouldn't start well" wasn't tuned right.

The fastest saws I have will idle. Sounds like it was a saw with one leg in the grave, and it was probably way too lean. It is worth fixing, it isn't husqvarna's fault, learn how to turn the h and l screws before you do another saw in.

Bottom End

It is true that the saw had not been used for sometime prior to my using it. I am sure that didn't help much. From what I have found recently points to a possible rod bearing detonation. I know that if bearings sit for a long while moisture gets to them, then they pit. Which may explain the large, clang, I heard.
I took the saw partially apart today, just so I could get to the flywheel. I put a socket on it and with a bit of force it turned. It was hard for a quarter of a turn and then freed up, but not fully. It makes a noise that sounds like the bearings are clanging around. You can spin by hand in the same section and never have the same feeling. I think the bearing blew apart and is inhibiting the crank from turning fully. So the top end might be fine, yet I can't say too much until it is pulled apart. What do you guys think? I hate to think what I may find in the bottom end.

Also, I agree with Romeo about the lean part. Yet, I don't usually play with idle adjustment or the high jet because everytime I do I can't seem it get 2-strokes to work correctly. So I usually don't tune them. My neighbor also told me that we shouldn't change the settings for now. Which as it turns out was not the best advice?

Last edited:
Sounds like it puked a bearing, crank or rod, who knows...but assume it has trashed the ports, and or piston....

Piston Still Moves

It is strange, even with all the destruction the piston still moves up and down. I am currently tearing down the saw. My neighbor told me that I could just have it, now that it is dead. He said that he would just throw the saw away or use it for parts being the way that it is. So, I guess I will just investigate and dig deeper.

Back