Husqvarna 350 Lost Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My 350 probably has 5 tanks of gas through it from new and has no spark! Bummer, I like the saw, so I took the recoil starter off and gave everything a good cleaning. I also set the gap with a business card and tried a new plug, it's a no-go...

Is this common with these??

I'm trying to NOT spend a bundle on this, so what's next to try??

Thanks for any help you have to offer...

SR

A quick and easy thing to check is. Where the kill wire attaches to the coil. Sometimes the terminal bends and will make contact with the coil mounting bolt. I have found that to be fairly common.

Steven.

Did you buy it new, have proof of purchase, register warranty? Check with your local dealer but I believe the coil is lifetime warranty to original purchaser with proof of purchase.

Joe

No warr., my brother bought it still new in the box from a woman who's husband had passed away... It had not ever been fueled when he got it, and then passed it on to me.

Maybe someone here has a used coil I can get??

SR

A quick and easy thing to check is. Where the kill wire attaches to the coil. Sometimes the terminal bends and will make contact with the coil mounting bolt. I have found that to be fairly common.

Steven.

I did ck for that, but it looks good... thanks for posting,

SR

After checking for shorts everywhere, if none found, try a different "new plug". I have a saw that is extremely picky on plugs, some that will work in other saws won't work in this saw. Even a new plug didn't work, tried a different new one, threw good spark and runs fine now. Dang voodoo.

did you unplug the wire to the kill switch from the coil? I would rule a switch/wire problem out before purchasing a coil.

Nope, I just did a visual to see that it wasn't staying in the closed position...

SR

If you want to try a new coil, AfterMarket ones are really inexpensive....can be had for $6 on an ebay auction.
A few days ago, my local dealer charged me $15 bucks for an air filt for my 55, so I figured a coil would be at least $75 or even more!

Looks like after market is a good place to get one, now to figure out how to get the right one! lol

SR

Also check the cylinder mounting bolts are tight as there is a grounding strap from the ignition coil to the cylinder. If missing or loose it will complete the electrical path for the high voltage lead (ie spark lead). I have seen several loose over the years on these with plastic crankcase/tank assemblies.

OK guys, I decided I would spring for the OEM coil and bought one... I gapped it with a business card, checked EVERYTHING I can think of, and STILL no spark!!

Unplugged the on/off switch
NEW spark plug
Looked for nicked or grounded wires

Any idea's of what I'm missing??

SR

My 394 is hyper picky on plugs it will start and run on. I went through several that worked in other saws but not that one. Finally got one that worked. It absolutely has to be a resistor plug for some reason.

clip a wire from the coil screw to a fin on the cyl, spin the flywheel with drill to check spark.

Thanks for answering, let me make sure I understand what you are saying.

Hook a wire to the coil screw and check the other end for spark at a cyl. fin, as I spin the motor with a drill.

Do I have that right??

SR

Latest posts

Back