Husqvarna 353G E-Tech maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchuckcanuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The machine on the left is the saw with the oil leak. The other is a parts saw, same 353G.
20230618_112041-husq-353g-etech-repairs.jpg

Bar oil is leaking from the muffler area especially when the saw is running and tilted downward.

20230618_114602-husq-353g-etech-oil-leak.jpg

I did take out the oiler parts and swapped them out. Both seem to be in good condition.
20230618_112834-husq-353g-etech-oiler-parts.jpg20230618_112828-husq-353g-etech-oiler-parts.jpg20230618_112041-husq-353g-etech-oiler-parts.jpg

But the saw still leaks oil from that area.

So I am looking for advice on what to do next.

Initially, try tightening the front crank case bolts. If the leak persists, the crank case gasket will need to be replaced. To replace mentioned gasket, separate the two sections. Since you're already that far along, we advise replacing the crank bearings and seals as well.

All jokes aside, the local dealer wants $30 for the gasket and $270 for 3 hours labour. What specialty tools would be needed (long hex wrenches maybe for removing engine, bearing puller, or something else) to split the case to replace this gasket?

All jokes aside, the local dealer wants $30 for the gasket and $270 for 3 hours labour. What specialty tools would be needed (long hex wrenches maybe for removing engine, bearing puller, or something else) to split the case to replace this gasket?
Find a service manual for the saw ,if possible.There would be a list of the tools needed,along with the whole procedure how to do it,usually a detailed step-by-step one .

Find a service manual for the saw ,if possible.There would be a list of the tools needed,along with the whole procedure how to do it,usually a detailed step-by-step one .
I've never paid $300 for one of those saws. My favorite 353 (still have it) I paid $20 for it and all it needed was a fuel line..

Attachments

• Husky 353-1.jpg
    Husky 353-1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I've never paid $300 for one of those saws. My favorite 353 (still have it) I paid $20 for it and all it needed was a fuel line..
It's a 2001 model, if memory serves me correct. I was given it in about 2010 and it's cost me nothing but chains and bars since then. So I figure I've done alright so far.

In my effort to support the local economy, I brought to saw to a local Husq dealer/repair shop. When I dropped it off they said it might be better to buy a new saw. I said fix it anyway. 2 weeks later they call to say that they agree the split case gasket is leaking but their inspection showed etching on the cylinder. As a result of the tear down and rebuilt, they would not guarantee the saw's compression would be ok again. Might not be worth fixing they implied, so off I went to get it and bring it home for a parts saw (if I don't get around to fixing it myself). Funny thing is, there was nothing wrong with the compression before I gave it to them. Back in the shop I took off the muffler to have a look. Seems ok to me. But then again I don't have a lot of experience with such matters.
View attachment 20230704-353g-cylinder-condition.mp4

Bought 4 saws that had been sitting arond for a long time the other day- 2 365xp-288 and a 353, just thought we will give the 353 a try- put new gas in it and with a little touch and go she runs- going to go over it just to be safe but was doing some reading on them and they were over 500$ new and classified as a pro saw.

A little update. Case is back together and I'm at the re-assembly stage, putting the carb back in. The ring in this partition piece must be custom.

20231026_110243-353g-e-tech-carb-output.jpg

I have some questions. Picture worth a thousand words, right?

20231026_110636-353g-e-tech-wiring questions.jpg

Edit: So I've learned the wire from the generator (#504043501) and the plate (#504043201) relate to a heated carb feature.

Back