Husqvarna 372XP vs Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeyStep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking at these two saws which are the same price at the local dealer. I currently own two Husqvarna saws and continue to be happy with that choice but need a new one and the 7900 Dolmar at 6.3 HP and the same weight as the 372XP is very tempting? Anyone familar with both saws that could give me advice? Appreciate any feedback.

Try the search function, and you should take a look in the chainsaw chapter. Will find maaaaaany threads about the saws you discribed.

Good luck with your choice and stay safe.

Lex

I have been looking at these two saws which are the same price at the local dealer. I currently own two Husqvarna saws and continue to be happy with that choice but need a new one and the 7900 Dolmar at 6.3 HP and the same weight as the 372XP is very tempting? Anyone familar with both saws that could give me advice? Appreciate any feedback.
Ive used the 7900 logging and it not a bad saw at all. Ive ran the 372 also but was not that impresed with the power of it.

They both are impressive saws and you cant go wrong with either one! My 7900 will run a 24" bar on par with my 372XP with a 20" bar, they both scream through the wood with ease. It's a win win choice!:cheers:

I'm in need of a bigger saw as well.(CAD)I am not a commercial cutter,but I'd like a stronger saw for the big stuff Ive gotten lately.Ive always run Huskys and my dealer is great,the 7900 is tempting me though,more motor,more power,less money.I think Id run a 24" or 28" bar. The 372XP may mod great,but I am not interested in modifying the saw either way,Id like it keep it stock,and reliable.Modified anything presents a whole nother set of issues with any saw,esp in the hot weather we sometimes get stuck cutting it.
My only concern with the Dolmar is if I need something for it,will I be able ot get it without a lot of effort,and without waiting weeks for it. The husky dealer has almost everything in stock,stocks 4-6 372xps on the shelf right now,from 24" bar up to a 32".

One additional question relates to the fuel mixture? Does the 7900 typically run at 40:1? Since I have two other husqvarna saws it would be nice to have only one gas tank with the same mixture to worry about? Can anyone with the 7900 verify if they run at 40:1 or 50:1. I do like the idea that I can run my same large 28" or 24" bars on either saws but if the fuel is different that would be a negative.

One additional question relates to the fuel mixture? Does the 7900 typically run at 40:1? Since I have two other husqvarna saws it would be nice to have only one gas tank with the same mixture to worry about? Can anyone with the 7900 verify if they run at 40:1 or 50:1. I do like the idea that I can run my same large 28" or 24" bars on either saws but if the fuel is different that would be a negative.

I think it calls for 50:1 in the book, but the 7900 will run at about any ratio you want to use (within reason). I run 32:1 in my race saw's, when the race is over I feed it to my 7900, and 372.
7900 is a fine saw, but when felling I tend to grab the 372. It's full wrap, so a little less akward to me, plus I don't have to carry an extra filter.
The filter is the weak point on the 7900 when your cutting hard for 6 or 7 hours a day, but for the majority of people it's fine.

My favorite two medium size saws

If I had a 372 that had some good port work done to it.. My 7900 might not ever get started again.. But if the 372 was just left stock.. It would become a 16" limber.
Until I can Steal either Ians or Andys saw. I will just have to use my stock 7900 LOL

I am not sure if the 372 needs a kickstand like the always on its side 346 or not....

Also from what I understand the 372 is gone in the husky line but still available in the jonsered line!

i have both the 372xp and the 7900. they are both modded; actually, the 7900 is a modded 6400. i run a 28" bar with skip-link on the dolmar, and a 20" bar with skip on the husky. i like them both, and use them interchangably.

and yes, i run the same fuel mix in both saws. plus, it's a bonus that the bars are interchangable...

i've never run a Dolmar. I will buy one someday. The Dolmar dealers around here all seem clueless about chainsaws. That being said, my 372xp w/ full wrap is one amazing feeling saw. I tend to grab it over anything else I have. Seems real smooth. Parts are easy to buy and cheaper than most any other saw when the time comes for a rebuild. My 372 pulls this 32" bar w/ skip rather well. Muffler Mod really helped out a bit.
DSC03228.jpg

Last edited:
I also own both. Both of mine are modded.Stock the 372xp is a so-so saw IMO. But modded it really wakes up.
I think the Husky is a little better built with a better air system. The Dolmar is a powerhouse and it too responds well to mods.
I lean more towards the 372xp.
Take everyone's advice on these saws at that, just advice.
It's just a matter of someone's preference, So go with what you like. either one is going to be a good saw and serve you well.

50:1 in all saws new or old, actually you could probably run 100:1 with synthetic for a long time, running it 40:1 is actually running it lean.

I would consider Husky an Orange saw. That being said if I were running stock saws the 7900 would win hands down against the 372. Stock the Husky 390 would be a better comparison to a 7900 as far as power goes.

Latest posts

Back