Husqvarna 372XP vs Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great feedback. I decided to buy the 7900 Dolmar and for a long time Husky guy that is saying something. It really was a close one but the HP and weight ratio of the 7900 stock is just too impressive to not give it a chance to perform. Another key was the service capability of the local dealer.

If you need the extra power, go with the Dolmar - I don't, and wanted the legendary 372xp......:)

As a candidate for mods, the 372xp is an ideal candidate, preferably the 75cc version - from what I understand.

Last edited:
Just in case you change your mind. Early this year, the site sponsor Baileys was selling a ported 372xpw Univent. It is very similar in power and weight to my 7900. Mine is pulling a 28” bar with skip chain in hardwood with authority. Great saw and an excellent price. Recent baileys catalogue still listed this saw.

Just in case you change your mind. Early this year, the site sponsor Baileys was selling a ported 372xpw Univent. It is very similar in power and weight to my 7900. Mine is pulling a 28” bar with skip chain in hardwood with authority. Great saw and an excellent price. Recent baileys catalogue still listed this saw.

I checked them online a few weeks ago and they no longer listed them. Do they still have some? If so I will order one right now.

Just got an e-mail confirm that they are now sold out of the Univent saws.
Well they do still have the Solo 681 listed for a little more that the Univent was selling for.

Last edited:

That’s too bad. My recent baileys paper catalogue had them listed for $695 with both handle bars. I would have liked to have gotten another one now that work is picking up again.

That’s too bad. My recent baileys paper catalogue had them listed for $695 with both handle bars. I would have liked to have gotten another one now that work is picking up again.

Yeah I hear ya, never fails a good deal gets passed by because I don't have the money till after it's over.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I decided to buy the 7900 Dolmar and for a long time Husky guy that is saying something. It really was a close one but the HP and weight ratio of the 7900 stock is just too impressive to not give it a chance to perform. Another key was the service capability of the local dealer.

You'll have no regrets.

Had a 372XP and a PS7900. The 372XP is gone, though not a bad saw, just couldn't hang with the 7900. Certain saws become classics, IMO the PS7900 is one of those saws.

If you're going to deal with the weight over a 60 cc series saw, grab the one with the gusto, especially if you have good dealer support locally.

Take Care

Well they do still have the Solo 681 listed for a little more that the Univent was selling for.

The 681 is a good saw! Every bit as good as the 7900. I own all three.
If you get one you won't regret it.

Andy

50:1 in all saws new or old, actually you could probably run 100:1 with synthetic for a long time, running it 40:1 is actually running it lean.

Sorry but that last bit makes no sense. Adding a little more mix oil too make it 40/1 does nothing too change the carb fuel/air mixture. The ratio of fuel (Mix) and air remains the same regardless of the oil. If You don't have enough oil in the mix, that's a different problem than running a saw too lean. That said, you'll be loving that PS7900! Congrates.

Last edited:
Sorry but that last bit makes no sense. Adding a little more mix oil too make it 40/1 does nothing too change the carb fuel/air mixture. The ratio of fuel (Mix) and air remains the same regardless of the oil. If You don't have enough oil in the mix, that's a different problem than running a saw too lean. That said, you'll be loving that PS7900! Congrates.

The oil displaces the gas.

same amount of air, more oil and less gas=lean....probably not enough to hurt...there is probably more variation in the H setting from saw to saw.

Back