Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
But you're starting from the premise that they don't already run. I know your used saw didn't, but how about others bought them new and like them?

I think that for those that ever have problems, they'd better be mechanically inclined and carb knowledgeable or have free time to learn because in my experience, the Poulan warranty is not impressive. It's not just the saw that many of us are buying but the total package. I think that it would of course make a good saw for those that can fix everything wrong with the saw themselves, like you but it sounds like a 40CC saw running low pro chain can cut right alongside a 50CC saw, like you said. I know that from my experiences, my Dolmar cuts way better than my Poulan 5020AV, even when the Poulan had a 16" bar.

I would have gladly sold you my 5020 at a loss had I known you were curious about that model.

A buddy if mine bought a 5020 last winter when it was on sale for I think he said $160. He brought it up to me because it needed some repair. Tuning it was not as easy as some, some things where not up to my standards. But if I only had a $160 and had to get wood for my family to stay warm I could get it done with a 5020.
However I would sure rather have a 421 and would scoop driveways and side walks if I had to for the extra money to get one. Lol

The other thing you and other converts to the 421 are experiencing is that by golly a good 40cc saw with sharp lo pro chain will actually cut a lot of wood. I have 8 saws from 38cc to 42cc, some stock and some ported, some plastic cased Poulan clamshells and some Zenoah split cased designs, and every one will do that too.

I've ran a few 45 cc saws too Chris and none other than my OE346xp is close to the 421 ... you better get one to see for yourself ;)
:dumb:

I checked and both look to be at least 50% more than the Dolmar 421.

Yeah, but you'll totally lose the respect of the logs you're cutting, they'll think you're some sort of cheapskate dutchman. :rolleyes:

Only problem I noticed with the dolmar 421 was, on a cold and rainy day, it's kind of hard to start until you get the hang of it.

Similar story with the 6100, but it's far easier to get your foot through the handle for leverage.

On a Husky, you've at least got a pressure release.

After that though, you'd be looking more at durable build, and the power band for sustained cutting on the Dolmar.

The Husky, I'm not really so hot on their chainbrake system. When cutting through lots of nasty and rotten trees, you'll get gunked up to the point that the chainbrake is just a decoration. Pop it off, whomp it clean, and back in action, but, still a safety issue.

As far as Stihl goes, I think someone is whispering in the ears of the board members and telling em they have a devoted following, and a reputation they can take advantage of. Expand their base rapidly, along with production rate, and if there's a few stumbling blocks, oh well! Which is usually a danger sign in terms of repair issues.

Have a local hardware store, and they're nice enough people and all, but they've got NO CLUE on chainsaws. Fertilizer, lawn and garden care, no problem. Finding a 20mm fine thread to hose thread adapter, nope! They do have free popcorn in the store though. lol! BUT, they have a pretty wide assortment of Stihl products, just a shitload of different gizmos, of which, they probably don't know anything about. I'm guessing they've got online dealer training or some BS like that in the event they get jammed up on questions or the like.

Interestingly enough, on chains, they have just an endless assortment of full chisel chain. Looking around for semi-chisel, etc. Nope! Gotta go around the corner to the ghetto brand aisle and dig through the Oregon selection for that!

So, guessing Stihl has kinda stuck their **** in the hornets nest of rapid market expansion, which is probably going to cause havok for their repair centers, parts suppliers, and criteria for warranty service. On the later, it'll probably have the fallout of turning friendly mom and pop hardware stores into a bunch of crazed people, who on the sight of a Stihl being returned will scream out "You straight gassed another one didn't you *******!"

Dolmar/Makita, it's hard to find any of it. Home Despot and a smattering of dealers have em here and there. The mower place down the road had all of 1 5100 on the shelves. Way easier to find Echo. Probably they're still going on mostly reputation, and long haul strategy, which will mean the prices will stay fairly low, and it'll be a pain in the ass if you can't find a local repair center.

So, sort of good news/bad news. Husky, I can find them anywhere. Northern Tool, Fleet Farm, and half a dozen other places I'm forgetting. Very good news if you need a few simple parts(air filters, bars, spark plugs, fuel filters). But kind of a bad joke if you do need an oddball part like a muffler, or a handle component, throttle linkage, carb, etc. A service center might be willing to sell you some used parts if you're in a hurry, others wise, you wait 3 days to 2 weeks.

On that front, you're just as out of luck as anyone no matter what brand. Unless....

You've got a poulan, and need junk saws to steal parts off of! Check on craigslist, and yep, LOTS of poulans for sale, cheap! :surprised3:

Sure won't be long at that pace that the 421 will pay for itself.

I think so. I know that I probably got a bad 5020AV but this saw's ability to work as long as I want to run it is refreshing after constantly having to fiddle with the 5020AV. Right now, I've done so much work that I have to set up a new woodpile for all of the trees that I have felled and bucked. I really look forward to showing before and after pictures of my back few acres.

I don't mind going with the Dolmar and the possible shipping to a dealer if it is the better saw.

I know that many posts have been made since the above ^ one, but...

1. The shipping costs could get very high should the saw have problems.

2. You said that you want to cut wood, and not have to work on the saw other than normal maintenance. Shipping time would add to your downtime.

Of course all that is moot if you bought your 421 from a good local dealer and/or the saw runs well for many hours with no issues.

2. You said that you want to cut wood, and not have to work on the saw other than normal maintenance. Shipping time would add to your downtime.

Of course all that is moot if you bought your 421 from a good local dealer and/or the saw runs well for many hours with no issues.
What one should not forget is the reputation of a product and if a pro here clearly states that he has run hundreds of refills wihtout any problem, on german sites there are members who have used the saw exclusively for years as their firewood saw without a problem.
What problems arise more often? The only ones that I am aware of is the ignition coil. There were a few that had problems, but even this is a easily detected/diagnosed problem that, at least in my eyes, wouldn't require shipping to anywhere if you have a good communication with your dealer.

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope his still has the cat. Previous tuning didn't seem to go that we'll.
@LittleLebowski if you send me your 421 I will remove the cat and retune it. Lol

Thanks, man, I will indeed send it to you sooner or later. I am going to run it stock for a while. My last tuning attempt was stymied by a fuel line melting on the Poulan 5020AV. The Dolmar has already been ran much harder than that Poulan and she just needs oil and fuel, no tuning, no babying. Eighteenth tank was consumed today. I've slowed down on cutting as I have been splitting and stacking wood by hand.

$15 shipping to @fordf150 or there's authorized local repair centers nearby.

So, what oil and ratio are you running in your new Dollie? :)

Congrats Lebowski, I've heard nothing but good about the small Dolmars. The 6401 I had was a smooth running machine. Great torque, and all around strong cutter.

Sorry, couldn't resist. This thread has everything else I love about AS, had to go there...

I'm tired... There's another stack of wood of equivalent size that you cannot see in the picture. I felled, bucked, and split all of this myself using only the tools you see in the picture (the Glock 19 is there to protect the rest and I wear it daily). The family did help a little with stacking but not much. I still have a lot more work ahead of me.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 60
Don't take this the wrong way but I hope his still has the cat. Previous tuning didn't seem to go that we'll.
@LittleLebowski if you send me your 421 I will remove the cat and retune it. Lol
we specifically left the cat in for a reason.....local dealers may not take a gutted muffler lightly so with previous experiences in mind we left her stock. knock on wood i havent seen any measurable decrease in life on these saws with the cat still in them. local saws i sold when i first started selling dolly are all running a cat and are 5-6 yrs old now with just bar and chain replacements.

@LittleLebowski glad you like the saw and gave me opportunity. Looks like it is treating you pretty good so far

WTF is the go with the gun, do you seriously need to keep a gun on you in your own back yard?
I've never been to the USA is it realy thet bad there. Don't know what the laws are like there but if you had to use that gun wouldn't you end up in jail for life?

Nice saw, part of me wishes Id bought one of them rather than my 550xp, just form a bullet proof and simplicity point of view.

Back