Husqvarna 50/51/55 parts interchange

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I came across a Husky 50 parts saw with a good 44 mm cylinder.

Will this work to bring a 55R back from the dead ?

I started a thread the other day looking for feedback on the best aftermarket top end kit.

If I can get a $25 ebay piston for this 44 mm jug, I would rather go that route, as I have everything else.

This is just going to be a beater firewood saw for my oldest son to learn on.

The 44mm cylinder looks like it will fit right up to the 55R

According to Husky, the bolt holes are slightly differently spaced, so it won't fit - but I am no expert on this.

Thats a good question. Box it up & send it to you when Im done picking it apart.

I havent been on here in ages. I read the thread the other night about your misfortune. How is the revamp coming along ?

BTW: Where at in S central Mo are you ?

You might be right Troll, but I think the mods necessary to make it work would be minimal. But I might be wrong. It's been known to happen:msp_rolleyes:

I'm doing great, thanks. I'd be singing a different tune if it weren't for God & Arborist site taking care of me.
My shack is pretty much ready to go & I've got work headed this way & a few saws already here.

I have worked with many 50-55 series Husqvarna saws and have become very familiar with the parts interchangeability. In my experience 99% of all parts are compatible between the models 51 and 55, not 100% because some of the 51's did not have the air injection. The model 50 made several changes over the years and not all parts are compatible from all years. Before 1987 the model 50 had a smaller opening in the crankcase for the piston/cylinder so modifications are required to install a 51/55 top end onto the pre 87 model, though no mods are required to install the pre 87 top end onto a 51/55. The 50 also has the different choke system which, in my opinion, is inferior to the 51/55 setup. There was also some changes between the 50 Ranchers, commonly found with a white top cover, and the later 50's, commonly found with a grey or black top cover. The major differences were cosmetic with the recoil cover and chain brake assembly, you can not use the brake handle/flag from a 50 Rancher on the later style brake cover but you could swap the entire assembly without issue. I have often heard about there being different bolt patterns on the cylinders but I have yet to ever see it myself with having worked on saws made from 1983 through early 2000.

closed port...???

50 special..& 55....bought a new 50 special in 1990...thought it was time to take the cylinder off and have a look.....everything was fine...after reading these threads about the top ends of these 50 series saws..i started looking for a closed port p&c....possiblity i needed parts...which has brought me to this saw......husqvarna 55...it doesn't say rancher..or air injected that i can see..from the picture...s/n...967 05 2600 06 2091819....could this saw be closed port???....and what year would this be??.....ty u for any info..

You might be right Troll, but I think the mods necessary to make it work would be minimal. But I might be wrong. It's been known to happen:msp_rolleyes:

There have at least been reported cases where they did fit, and others where they were adapted - but the "official" answer from Husky was no, according to a tech bulletin. :msp_confused:

50 special..& 55....bought a new 50 special in 1990...thought it was time to take the cylinder off and have a look.....everything was fine...after reading these threads about the top ends of these 50 series saws..i started looking for a closed port p&c....possiblity i needed parts...which has brought me to this saw......husqvarna 55...it doesn't say rancher..or air injected that i can see..from the picture...s/n...967 05 2600 06 2091819....could this saw be closed port???....and what year would this be??.....ty u for any info..

The actual serial number starts with the 06 which would make it a 2006 model, the first numbers are the part number for the saw. The closed port would have only been found on saws built between 1998 and 2000.

EDIT
I have owned both open and closed port models and I can honestly say it is not worth investing a lot of time of money into finding a closed port top end. The cylinders can be found fairly easy but the pistons are a different story. The pistons are no longer made, there are no aftermarkets and a NOS will cost about $100.

Last edited:
The actual serial number starts with the 06 which would make it a 2006 model, the first numbers are the part number for the saw. The closed port would have only been found on saws built between 1998 and 2000.

EDIT
I have owned both open and closed port models and I can honestly say it is not worth investing a lot of time of money into finding a closed port top end. The cylinders can be found fairly easy but the pistons are a different story. The pistons are no longer made, there are no aftermarkets and a NOS will cost about $100.

tyvm for that info....the 50 special is my favorite saw... the 1st husky i bought new..zero issues...cut alot of wood....my only saw for a long time....not much wear...ring..piston skirt ..cylinder....did some mild porting..i hope....but..if i want to make it go faster...what can i do....iam not sure what NOS means..it sounds fast....ty

tyvm for that info....the 50 special is my favorite saw... the 1st husky i bought new..zero issues...cut alot of wood....my only saw for a long time....not much wear...ring..piston skirt ..cylinder....did some mild porting..i hope....but..if i want to make it go faster...what can i do....iam not sure what NOS means..it sounds fast....ty

I have a 50 special here also, the thing looks brand new but has a scored piston. The special was only available for one year and it actually came with the larger 45mm model 51 top end but it still had the older model 50 choke system. NOS stands for New Old Stock, which just means it is a new factory part that has been sitting on a shelf for years. The quickiest and cheapest upgrade to your saw would be a 46mm model 55 top end but you likely would not see that much more power. In my opinion porting is where the power will be found.

Back